topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List of newbie questions regarding software  (Read 87132 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: List of newbie questions regarding software
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Cancelled Choices:

StoryMind/Dramatica

At first, I liked the way the applications introduced me to the whole process but after trying Dramatica's Level 1 Story Guide on an article I was planning to write, I was really underwhelmed by the end result. Yes, it's really not meant for writing such things but the article I was testing it on fits the basic needs of a story with characters, transitions, chapters and the works except I could get away with just one sentence or paragraph to fill most of what the program asks so I saw it as a decent test for what it could produce.

Unfortunately, the end result is very outline-ish and this is bad for me because I really was expecting the program to unearth something while doing all these process but the events it produced were nothing I couldn't have thought of on my own using any kind of snippet taker. After trying IdeaMason, the entire thing just didn't feel like it was worth paying for. (though the bonuses that come with StoryMind is a nice offer)

StoryMind is basically a subsection in Dramatica's Story Guide and it basically asks you to type something and lets you see it later on for reference but compared to IdeaMason's plethora of ways to insert footnotes/citations and references, it really came short.

Note that part of my decision was influenced by the fact that I felt I could reproduce the same thing in Compendium by copying the questions and answering it through the program's user interface and I would get a more concrete view of my content because of it's mapping structure.

IdeaMason

At first this is my Liquid Story Binder/Offline Diigo and I really came into it feeling like I was just shy of cashing out on it and the drag and drop way of doing things really really felt so tempting to use and the ability to basically have a YeahWrite entry only the tabs working per item rather than per entry really REALLY got my hopes up but once I tried it, I found it was too rigid in it's structure. For ex. I want the reference to be basically a blank notepad like Opera's notes panel but with the ability to remove the folder view but the program insists on puttng an entry box when entering the information to satisfy such rote questions as the name of the link, etc. etc.

In the end, what I end up getting was a jazzed up combination of a notetaker combined with the Form Letter Machine except with drag and drop rather than copy to clipboard. Even the links which I at first thought had Web Capturing wasn't to be. One thing it got slightly right was the mini-preview mode but the fact that I couldn't find a way to get a fullscreen preview/reader mode really made it feel like I was better off with Compendium. Not that I was looking for this program to replace Compendium but it really made me feel like it was the Compendium equivalent to my search for a YeahWrite/Diigo replacement and by that I mean, Compendium was one of the programs I really found invaluable to me and if the program now were to be made lighter and more stable with the exact same features, it would be almost be an ideal program that doesn't have any glaring flaws for my own purposes. (though it still wouldn't be good enough to be the only notetaking program I would use.)

Olympus DS-50 Tape Recorder:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our products.

While appreciating your interest,
we are sorry to inform you that there are no dealers or retailers
of our voice recorders in the Philippine.

Therefore, regarding availability of DS-50,
please contact our distributor of digital cameras
at the following address.

*** Distributor in the Philippines ***
Axis Global Technologies,Inc.
20 North Rd., Cor. 3rd Ave., Cubao,
Quezon City
Tel: 632-724-3340
Tel: 632-721-8618
Fax: 632-724-3353

Unfortunately none of our voice recorders
including the DS-50 is water proof.
Therefore, we are unable to guarantee the use of
our voice recorders in a bathroom.
We are not planning to introduce water proof
voice recorders under present circumstances.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

S. Sato
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. Tokyo, Japan

Search for Alternate Programs Added:

Two-pane Notepad

Through using these programs, I ended up feeling that maybe there was a much simpler solution to what I needed. IdeaMason's Composition Drag and Drop feature which allows one to first filter contents before dragging the snippets into a full article really made me realize the value of a two pane outliner and it reminded me of how for a long time Opera's notes panel felt really useful to me despite it's bare bones feature and I finally got why it was that way.

Basically the freedom I got from Opera's Notes panel was the fact that aside from a preview/reader mode, it really was a good basic user interface design for my needs if you replace the browser area with a notepad section. Add in the tabs and light mem consumption of YeahWrite with a better export and I really felt it would be good enough to replace Diigo and Yeahwrite for me even if the snippet area might not have the capability and features of Surfulator.

All I really need is to replace Diigo with any highlighter app like Scrapbook and Wired Marker, copy paste the highlights and then paste them into the program and voila! The hideable notes panel means I can get my full screen view of the contents and as long as it can be set for preview mode, I really believe it would be good enough to work.

Unfortunately, I can't find such a program as most of the outliners I've seen waste too much screen real estate by adding a tree-hierarchy to it's 2nd pane while others like creating a two column template for OneNote fall short because you can't hide one side with ease and really OneNote has too many advanced features that doesn't bode well for experimentation. Case in point, I was curious by what the linkify feature's use was and used it but I ended up having my entire snippets turned into links which I couldn't undo because OneNote has no unlimited undos to my knowledge.

The Form Letter Machine + EverNote/Surfulator + Advanced Clipper

Well the core functionality is basically the same as above. I only mentioned this because I'm currently trying to manage through using the combination of Scrapbook + The Form Letter Machine as my alternative to Diigo but it's so clunky because it has no web clipping functionality but it does so many things right like a previewable non-editable reader with a mini-edit box as opposed to the reverse which makes it really great for reading the snippets that pretty much my only worry is it's lack of a backup and export feature and it's lack of an auto-save but it will have to do for now. I also haven't tested how well it handles tons of information especially without a tagging feature.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:55 PM by Paul Keith »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 06:50 PM »
*sigh, I've been really procrastinating for awhile but just a quick bump.

For those wondering why I want a grid over grid program, I forgot to include a picture.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

The core idea is to have a program that creates a larger version of this image encompassing a smaller version of this grid, encompassing an even smaller version of this grid with the end result aiming to have a way to not only prioritize but also segment the different items that are to be included in this concept.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 07:37 PM »
re: Writing

Thanks for the info on Compendium. I've downloaded it and I'm putting it through it's paces. A very interesting application to say the least, even if you need to install MySQL to use it. Now that I've played with Compendium and gotten a feel for it's methodology I'm beginning to see the potential for a lot future use. A definite find! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

BTW: The reason I couldn't originally download Compendium was because Google directed me to Compendium-TA by mistake. Compendium-TA is an outliner. Their website can be found at: www.compendiumdev.co.uk/compendium-ta/default.php

(And yes, the download links for that app are still broken.  Boo hiss!!!  ;))

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at Papel. Papel is a free-form note taking and organizing tool that uses a desktop-like metaphor.

papel.gif

Publisher's Description
A new software tool designed for authors of fictional stories. It allows you to write creatively and intuitively without logical tasks interfering with the flow of your ideas.

Rather than using lists and tables to keep track of the various parts of your writing project, it works visually, just as Windows does.

You simply create new papels in the main project window, name them and set their type (described below). Papels are easily identifiable, as each type has it´s own icon, and the descriptive name you gave it is displayed with it.

Papel allows you to keep track of all the scraps of writing you create along the way, and instantly reminds you of what goes where by the way you group them in your project. Papels can be moved around with your mouse, renamed, and the type changed if you wish. Once everything is ready for publishing, you simply import the text files into your word processor for final formatting to the desired publishing standard.

Features:

* Visual on-screen representation of your writing project sections.
    * Drag & Drop interface for easy grouping of related pieces of work, notes, etc.
    * Individual icons for each piece of work, including Chapter, Scene, Male Character, Female Character, Plot Outline, Dialogue, and Note.
    * Simple papel naming system, with automatic file saving under the given name.
    * Find, Replace, Word Count,Spell Checking & Thesaurus in editor.
    * Multi-sizeable project window with up to 8 times your screen size.
    * Configurable and saveable Editor font and size.
    * Saveable default Application and Editor window positions.

Downloading Papel can get a little tricky since the product's homepage seems to have gone missing recently.
This download link does work however:

http://download.free...iles/Papel_Setup.exe

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18 AM »
The core idea is to have a program that creates a larger version of this image encompassing a smaller version of this grid, encompassing an even smaller version of this grid with the end result aiming to have a way to not only prioritize but also segment the different items that are to be included in this concept.

Notebox disorganiser is in this direction at any rate - never have used it properly (& that a couple years ago) so cant say more

I don't think Notebox Disorganizer has been mentioned so far.  It's aimed at writers, and is truly weird.  Here is part of a third-party review:

No, seriously, you should check out NoteBox Disorganizer:
It's an amazingly useful program.

NoteBox Disorganizer is tailor-made for quickly jotting down notes and
ideas, organizing those notes and ideas, combining selected notes into a
document, and exporting that document for publication. It's truly my
favorite writing program, and I've tried pretty much everything out
there. Here are some of the things that make NoteBox Disorganizer so
outstanding:

* Notes are kept in a spreadsheet-like grid that is easy to understand
and navigate. And that means all your notes are spread out in plain
sight; nothing is hidden away in a database or lost in an outline
"tree."

* It's possible to name each column, so you can easily categorize your
notes under the columns where they belong. Have a note that belongs
under more than one category? Clone it! Change a clone, and that change
is reflected in all of the others.

* It's also possible to name each *row,* so you can lay out a book's
structure before you even start writing.

[...]

I love the side-by-sideness of all this, which gives me a sense of
overview, organization, and control that I don't get in any other
program.

* If you need finer "granularity" in categorizing notes, you can include
note ~keywords in the text (and keep an alphabetical list of those
~keywords) and then do a "bounded" search for them. In Boolean terms,
that's an "And" search, which finds notes that include all of the
specified ~keywords. Don't want to fuss with ~keywords? You can still
use a bounded search to find notes that contain several terms.

more info:-
http://www.geocities...argh37/category.html
http://www.geocities...oosnargh37/docs.html
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 03:23 AM »
Here's what it looks like here ... with greetings :)

Notebox00.pngList of newbie questions regarding software

edit/ hmmm - What's that top of the window :huh: looks like advertising, very strange (screenshot made using minicap/FARR combination, FF was behind, tried again & was normal but will leave it here - nothing to do with Notebox I dont think)
BTW - it's portable
Tom
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:27 AM by tomos »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Yeah, tomos. I just recently tried the program myself. Ironically after having finally reached that portion of the text that you quoted in the notetaking thread.

I don't know if it's just me not knowing how to use Excel but I really tried to like the program but found it too confusing to use.

The addition of the excel three pane pretty much meant that I had to scroll down each row in order to find an item or sacrifice my notepad size by dragging it down. Even then, I feel like I'm back to why I hated three pane rss readers.

P.S. Yeah, I know it can be made into a one screen click preview but when I do that, now I have all my headlines in views but no way to quickly move through the notes without closing one after another just to get back the excel view.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:16 AM by Paul Keith »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 04:51 PM »
The thing that makes this arrangement work for me is a very nice little library program from Norway called BookCAT. It's published by FNProgramvare.  ( www.fnprg.com ) Complete documentation and a fully functional evaluation copy are available for download.

About a year ago I bit the bullet and got my entire collection entered into BookCAT.

I was motivated to do so by two separate 'incidents'. The first was the discovery that several irreplaceable books I owned were missing. I vaguely remembered loaning some of them out, but I couldn't even begin to recall to whom or when. (I'm suffering from the early stages of an affliction called AGE.) The other 'incident' was my discovering that I had duplicate copies of a dozen or so fairly expensive books (SAMS and O'Reilly titles!). Apparently, I bought, forgot I owned, and then re-bought some books! Not the most cost effective way to do things.

Getting the books entered took about two weeks of parttime effort with me crawing from place to place with my laptop and a cup of coffee when I had nothing better to do. It wasn't as big a chore as it could have been because the program supports online information lookups using the ISBN number. Pop in the ISBN and you can download all the publisher details into your database.

Using a database for a book collection is liberating. Retrieval is the critical issue - not storage. Once you have a reliable reference and location tool, the whole issue of physical storage and organization becomes almost moot.

Now it no longer matters where I put a book - or who I loaned it to. I can even keep my lesser used titles in numbered boxes up in the attic. And they don't even need to be organized or categorized before they get put away. Titles can be shelved, stored, and stashed at will. I can find any title quite quickly as long as I keep its current location updated in the database.

One interesting feature: BookCAT uses MS Access as its database. The documentation that comes with the program gives full details on the database table structure. This allows for extensive customization of the application should you have sufficient expertise using Access.

A fine program. Not free, but at $40 US it's very reasonable. Highly recommended.

This post highlights how far we’ve all strayed from the ocean and the difficulty of separating a topic like this because of the risk of never encountering these kinds of tales and experiences and yet at the same time, the necessity, of doing so because of the risk of lesser people willing to comment and share these kinds of experiences.

It’s very interesting because I’ve never linked my search for these programs to a single inspiration or source before until I read what you said here and now that I think about it, if I ever even had a library the size of a medieval monastery as opposed to these small plastic storage boxes, I too would probably be using a catalog program and maybe not even pay much attention to these database/outliner/highlighter programs that I’m so adamant on discovering. Not that I didn’t know this after your reply on Zotero but I had an “aahhh....” moment when half-way through reading your post, I was about to write something along the lines of “I could never get into these kind of programs” only to stop myself after reading through your explanation and I finally gained this epiphany, this realization that the reason I couldn’t get into cataloging but instead am so attached to a database sort of program is because I was never attached to my books...but I was attracted by the information it contained inside.

It doesn’t sound shocking when I write it but inside my head, I really had to spend some time contemplating this...”truth” because I’ve always love stories, I like reading lots of texts and I’m like a kid in a candy store around anything that has lots of books, be it a bookstore or a library...and yet...deep down, I was never really that guy who reads enough to be a bookworm, never been that one who you can hand me a large text of book and had no trouble repicking and rereading it all again. I was never all that.

In fact, I dream of one day being able to read all my books and be able to participate in Book Crossing and just forget about all of them and I think having a small storage had that effect on me. What really attracted me to this search wasn’t really just outlining information, what really attracted me to these programs was because I wanted to redefine the library because I never got one and I never ever wanted one even though before this, I was jealous and believed that I wanted to have one.

What I wanted wasn’t just a library, I wanted a journal...but I don’t want that either because it feels like I’m cataloging my life. No, what I wanted was something that is a cross but...not really either because my main interest in wanting to extract something from highlights and it being my main motivation for reading through on something, almost being an obsession that have crippled me from reading a real book after I’ve gotten used to doing this with webpages using Diigo screams like I wanted something more along the lines of a Casual Researcher Tools but also not that, because it’s oxymoronic to think that there’s such a thing as a Casual Researcher and that it is not just a play on the words, Poor Researcher so the truth is, I still don’t know but now it feels like I know more than before I read your post so...thank you.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55 PM »
I was taking a philosophy course as part of my University Core requirement when the whole topic of knowledge, learning, and gnosis came up. It made for an interesting week's worth of finely honed discussion.

But what was even more valuable came at the end of the week when some of the class took Prof. Blakely up on his offer to "continue this discussion over over some stuffed quahogs and a pint (more like eight actually)  of Guinness Stout."

In the course of a long and very pleasant evening, the Good Professor gently engaged us in a dialog about what we aspired to in the course of our lives. I had a bit more of a problem clarifying what I was trying to accomplish than most of the others.

The closest I could get was saying I wanted to "grasp the larger pattern" of things.

"Ahhh," Professor Blakely said, and laughed. "So you aspire to omniscience, do you?"

Yeah. That sounds about right. I do.

FWIW: There was a great essay about databases in the (long defunct) Whole Earth Software Catalog that made an interesting observation: Databases will save you or they'll bury you. I don't think truer words were ever spoken. Because deep down inside, many of us know that all these tools (databases, outliners, thinker-toys, etc.) are some of the most addictive drugs ever created.

And much like chemical drugs, they can keep creative people from doing anything other than enjoying the 'fix' they provide. They make you think you're being creative, when many times all you're doing is making superfluous preparations to start creating. Or learning...

I love all these neat tools. I just have to be careful to keep them in perspective.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:16 PM by 40hz »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 06:28 PM »
I love all these neat tools. I just have to be careful to keep them in perspective.

This is so true 40hz and you can find comments about that sort of thing  on almost any of the productivity sites/blogs and no doubt on the writing sites.  When it all boils down, if you want to write or be productive or whatever it is, then the tool you use is probably the least important thing (though its also perhaps the most fun to try and find, and to put off what it is you are really trying to accomplish)

Photography is another good example, people have been making excellent images long before photoshop turned up, long before computers turned up, a good photographer will take a good photograph with any old camera, they will maybe make a better one with a fancy modern camera, but its their creativity and knowledge of what makes a photo good not the tools they use to do it.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I agree with both of you though I'm not sure if what 40hz posted was a koan or a real life recent incident.  :D

I don't think a life record are in the same category as creativity and productivity though. Both of those things can be channeled at a whim with no previous experience but a record...that's something that becomes an inconvenience the farther it strays from a methodology the person absorbing the information reacts well to.

Yes, anyone can grab a journal and read it but at what point does it become just another book that the person could have read? and if it becomes just another book, then at what point does the reader know that they could be spending better time reading something else and not miss a crucial information at the end? and at what point does every book stop being a journal of the person writing it? and if this is the case, then at what point does a journal become something that buries it's reader rather than prepare him for the present?

To what end must every man need to sacrifice himself before he learns from the past and not be held back by the lack of concrete chainlinks between the paradigm shifts that have occurred in his culture, in his society and in his environment?

The obsession of productivity and creativity...I think every person can begin without ever reading a book on it. They may even excel and discover something new because of it.

A link to the past though... A link to the present though...

How far can you go without obsession to unearth the heart of those who've passed when even something as simple an event as the state before "The September that Never Ended" could not be gathered without occupying one's time entirely at a single Google page full of quality links?

I ask you dear sage; would you learn just as good about how forums work and how bloggers differ if you knew less software like the man who created the line by painting downwards on the walls of a cave?

I ask you again, how many of you are here and now because you were forced by circumstances and how many of you are here because you are who you are: a person who learned where your lesser brethren failed?

No, my dear Professor. Omniscience is the stuff of youth and the grail of all who've achieved greatness.

"I shall not wait for the dice roll to turn me into a Demi-God. Born from a creature of greatness by which whom shall leave grains of knowledge for me to gather."

No, my dear Professor. Omniscience is unreachable to those who are suffering through failure but hoping that one day we would get amnesia and be able to pass on our life to our identity without damning the rest of our lives through translation. However, the desire to tell our failures to our future clones who are about to fail...those are within our grasps and yes, Professor, just as we all eventually die, we all would eventually fail. It's just a matter of when we start thinking that and when we are able to capably pass on our future tales to those of us in the future so that they may add their failures to their future selves that counts. May they one day be twice the failure that we have become.

P.S. Sorry for the melodramatic post but the thread went into such a twist that I couldn't resist.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:27 PM by Paul Keith »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 10:19 PM »
re: Writing

Thanks for the info on Compendium. I've downloaded it and I'm putting it through it's paces. A very interesting application to say the least, even if you need to install MySQL to use it. Now that I've played with Compendium and gotten a feel for it's methodology I'm beginning to see the potential for a lot future use. A definite find! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

BTW: The reason I couldn't originally download Compendium was because Google directed me to Compendium-TA by mistake. Compendium-TA is an outliner. Their website can be found at: www.compendiumdev.co.uk/compendium-ta/default.php

(And yes, the download links for that app are still broken.  Boo hiss!!!  ;))

I don't think you need to have MySQL. I just use the default Derby database but then that's because I don't really know what MySQL is other than it's a database and I don't have a server.

The Compendium Outliner is quite an interesting beast. I couldn't find it anywhere near the top results when searching for just Compendium but typing Compendium Outliner shows it at top and it looks and feels so similar to the other Compendium if the searchee doesn't know any better so I'm wondering if there's some plagiarism involved.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at Papel. Papel is a free-form note taking and organizing tool that uses a desktop-like metaphor.
 (see attachment in previous post)
Publisher's Description
A new software tool designed for authors of fictional stories. It allows you to write creatively and intuitively without logical tasks interfering with the flow of your ideas.

Rather than using lists and tables to keep track of the various parts of your writing project, it works visually, just as Windows does.

You simply create new papels in the main project window, name them and set their type (described below). Papels are easily identifiable, as each type has it´s own icon, and the descriptive name you gave it is displayed with it.

Papel allows you to keep track of all the scraps of writing you create along the way, and instantly reminds you of what goes where by the way you group them in your project. Papels can be moved around with your mouse, renamed, and the type changed if you wish. Once everything is ready for publishing, you simply import the text files into your word processor for final formatting to the desired publishing standard.

Features:

* Visual on-screen representation of your writing project sections.
    * Drag & Drop interface for easy grouping of related pieces of work, notes, etc.
    * Individual icons for each piece of work, including Chapter, Scene, Male Character, Female Character, Plot Outline, Dialogue, and Note.
    * Simple papel naming system, with automatic file saving under the given name.
    * Find, Replace, Word Count,Spell Checking & Thesaurus in editor.
    * Multi-sizeable project window with up to 8 times your screen size.
    * Configurable and saveable Editor font and size.
    * Saveable default Application and Editor window positions.

Downloading Papel can get a little tricky since the product's homepage seems to have gone missing recently.
This download link does work however:

http://download.free...iles/Papel_Setup.exe

Unfortunately Papel doesn't bring anything new that Compendium couldn't do. It could possibly be more lightweight but it's also much more rigid and the whole application feels more like something users comfortable with FreeMind would want because of the insert key hotkey but I found it very constrained and too basic on top of all that.

I also didn't try putting lots of items in it but I don't think it can handle that because I didn't see any Aerial View option out in the open.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 10:25 PM by Paul Keith »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 06:05 AM »
I agree with both of you though I'm not sure if what 40hz posted was a koan or a real life recent incident.  :D

Koan? Koan? We don't need no steenking koans! ;D

"Lets see," he said, puffing as he hauled out the box that contained his collection of old college papers and daybooks...

Wednesday, 10/17: Chestnut Hill MA. Professor Blakely/Introduction to Metaphysics Outing Invite. (He's buying!!!) Blakely, Doc, Gina, Mary-Phil, Tom, me, and all 3 Steves. We started at Durgin Park for seafood, and wound up over in Cambridge at a place near 33 Dunster Street ...

<<*** Cue Soundtrack: Time Passages by Al Stewart**>

I'm not enlightened enough to be making koans. The occasional zinger is as close as I ever get.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:21 AM by 40hz »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 06:20 AM »
I'm not enlightened enough to be making koans. The occasional zinger is as close as I ever get.  :)

Don't worry, I'm not enlightened enough to know the difference.  ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 06:24 AM »
I'm not enlightened enough to be making koans. The occasional zinger is as close as I ever get.  :)

Don't worry, I'm not enlightened enough to know the difference.  ;D

Makes two of us then ;D

Oh well, duty calls... One more client's Windows 2000 Server (that should have been upgraded to Windows 2003 two years ago >:() is refusing to reboot.

Off to Stamford for another fun-filled day! :)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 06:42 AM »
Have fun. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out whether to get back to Diigo or not. The highlight order are back to normal again. No mails, no replies just back to the way it used to be before. I'm not sure what to think.  :huh:

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2008, 01:26 PM »
Currently Considering:

1) PageFour

and

2) SQLNotes

Might take a week or two to try SQLNotes in depth before coming back to this thread so aloha everyone.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2008, 03:25 PM »
If you are looking at PageFour, I'd suggest you also look at TreeDBNotes

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Thanks for the warning Dormouse. I've actually tried TreeDBNotes before and it wasn't for me. The reason I actually planned to test out PageFour was because it looked like a simple novel writing software based on the screenshots but if it's just another tree based outliner, I think I'll skip it and focus on SQLNotes instead

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2008, 06:24 PM »
Ok, just another quick update: If anyone knows of a Windows equivalent to this program, please post here.

http://homepage.mac.com/toddvasquez/Ready-Set-Do!/Personal93.html

edit by jgpaiva: corrected url (why do people build webpages with strange characters to their urls? bah!)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 08:55 PM by jgpaiva »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41 AM »
Just another quick update:

After reading this topic about an old school PIM, it struck me that there isn't a definite minimalistic standard a data dump application should have but obviously people have their core set of definition judging by the popularity of RTM, Google Notebook and EverNote over more feature filled alternatives so I just like to inquire what's everyone's preferred minimalistic apps or feature list to gain some insight on my own needs.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2008, 04:30 AM »
Hi, feeling really sick right now so just a quick bump.

-Still trying to figure out SQLNotes though I've been feeling too weak to get the motivation to read the SQLNotes thread.
-Planning on testing Sciral's Consistency and searching for other desktop variations of habit trackers. Thanks to Apps' AnotherOneDone for reminding me of these kinds of softwares.
-Planning to do a review on Hordit

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2008, 09:02 AM »
Hi, feeling really sick right now so just a quick bump.

-Still trying to figure out SQLNotes though I've been feeling too weak to get the motivation to read the SQLNotes thread.

Take care of your health and then go have a look there (http://sites.google....m/site/infoqube/Home) and there too : http://sqlnotes.wikispaces.com/

SQLNotes is in the process of changing name (slowly getting out of its beta phase) to become InfoQube or IQ.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:04 AM by Armando »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2008, 01:10 PM »
Hey!  Good choice for the name, I like it!

Paul, you and mouser are probably having similar difficulties with SQLNotes.  I had the same issues in the beginning (probably more).  Put in the effort to figure it out.  Most likely, if SN can't do what you're trying to do, there probably isn't another information management system available yet that can.

suleika

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Have you tried all-weather paper?  There are a lot of products out there.  For the odd short reminder I have a chinagraph pencil in the shower (aka grease pencil or wax pencil) and write on directly onto the wall - it cleans off perfectly.

I've heard of the paper but I really didn't feel like they were an affordable option especially for short note taking but a chinagraph pencil, there's something I haven't heard of before. What are the things to look out for when buying such a pencil?

Sorry I didn't notice your question till now.  I got my chinagraph pencils from a serious stationary store.   Chinagraph pencil is basically like wax crayons but less soft and wrapped in a protective way.  I don't know where you're from and it might be called something different, but you can probably find it once you search for the correct term.

As to the all-weather paper - from what you describe, you could have a rolling notebook, where you write, and then transfer your notes elsewhere.  Then you simply cross out the original entry and you wouldn't need to start a new page or waste paper.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Chinagraph pencil is basically like wax crayons but less soft and wrapped in a protective way.

You could also invest in either a Fisher Space Pen or a Fisher Space Pen Refill...