ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (8/23) > >>

Paul Keith:
Thanks gtoal but how do you use it?

tomos:
Thanks gtoal but how do you use it?
-Paul Keith (September 11, 2008, 12:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

this might help:
have a look at the review of Wikidpad notetaker review here at dc

I'm completely ignorant of them but Perry & others tried to explain it to me - here

I'm presuming that Wikidpad is similar in how it works to other wikis but maybe not - seems very popular here anyways

Paul Keith:
I read the links tomos but I still don't get it. Saying it's not an outliner only confused me but it could be because I'm not sure whether the text there refers it to being not an outliner = not a notetaker or not an outliner = not tree-based hierarchy like.

Some of the core issues that confuse me with it are:

-The lack of specific and concrete samples
-The lack of specific and concrete samples WHILE seeing someone access it after a long time has passed

As for being confusing, I don't know if you're familiar with Tomboy Notes which is pre-installed at least in Linux Mint by default but if Wikidpad is confusing I recommend trying that one out because it doesn't require any syntax. You just set a link and basically you can move towards the next page of an article per se that normally wouldn't be the next page.

It can be also used as a novel writing software which is probably why ywriter4 was also recommended. In essence, it's very much Wikipedia for yourself.

Sorry, if you know this already. I'm not sure if you wanted to know about the program, didn't really care for the program or were referring to some of the advanced stuff within the program which I also don't know because I never tried it long enough.

Another similar example but different approach to Wiki-style notetaking is found within Compendium. An aspect which it calls transclusive linking. The core idea is basically you can paste a section into another section and have the information sync between it. The benefit is basically an item that can be on two folders without needing to be organized through tag filtering thus the convenience of a more orthodox approach to information accessing.

tomos:
... if Wikidpad is confusing I recommend trying that one out because it doesn't require any syntax ...
-Paul Keith (September 11, 2008, 04:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

so are you saying that you understand technically how to use Wikidpad/wikis, but want to see how it is used ???

Paul Keith:
Well not technically (I didn't bother to learn the syntax) but basically, yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version