ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (5/23) > >>

mouser:
We should really split up this thread into dif topics since there is some useful information in some of these posts that will never get discovered because of the topic title.

40hz:
I've never had one before 40hz. Could you give me an idea on what quality to look for? The closest I got to a voice recorder was from a PocketPC and that was very clunky both to use and to import data of.
--- End quote ---

I've had the best luck with Sony. They seem to pack the most bang for the buck where I live. Olympus is also a good choice. I hesitate to recommend specific units since a model "year" in this market seems to be about four months. ;D

I would look for a USB output port and a reasonable number of hours recording time based on how I use it. Anything over eight hours would do it for me since I only use my recorder for notes. And I'm unusually good about copying them off onto my PC. Which leads to another major consideration for me: compatibility with Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software.

The arguments for and against voice recognition software could flood a forum thread. From what I've seen, it either works for you or it doesn't. For my PC (and my voice), it's a marriage made in heaven. It did take a lot of work to get it set up, but it's repaid itself several times over for me.

Note: DragonNS is an interesting product that puts me in an unusual position. I use it and I think highly of it. But I would never recommend it to someone. That's because it is somewhat of a crapshoot. It's expensive; there are no demos available; and not everyone can use it. So unless you're willing to risk a few hundred dollars and commit to the time necessary to "train" it, you're better off forgetting about speech recognition.

Darwin:
+1 in thanks for posting your observations about those notetakers/PIMs/writing aides. Very useful. I had the same reaction to LiquidStoryBinder, by the way  ;D Sadly, I'd already bought it  :( when before trying it, but it was on sale at Bits du Jour (60% off) ;) I love the GIMP analogy - hadn't thought of it that way myself, but it fits!

40hz:
We should really split up this thread into dif topics since there is some useful information in some of these posts that will never get discovered because of the topic title.
-mouser (September 09, 2008, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe even a child board with the individual topics under that. ;D

I get the feeling you might be better starting a few different threads ( otherwise we could simply move most of the forum into this thread ;D )

-tomos (September 03, 2008, 02:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think tomos hit the nail on the head with that one! It's a Salt Doll.;D

A man was walking on the beach one day, carrying his shoes in his hand. He sat down beside a tidal pool and looked at the shells and seaweed left in it. Then he noticed, just above the water line, what looked like a pile of salt. But the salt seemed to have the form of a woman. Then she opened her eyes, smiled, and sat up.

"Are you our salt doll who disappeared into the ocean?" he asked. "Or are you now the ocean itself?"

"I am both," said the salt doll. "I always was."

"How could you have come back from the sea?" the man asked.

"My purpose brought me back," she said. "I came back to tell you about the ocean. And to tell all you people something you don't seem to know about yourselves. I am no different from you. You are all salt dolls."

The man looked down at his bare foot, and for a moment it looked like it was made of salt.

(Note: this was given to me so I don't know who wrote it. -40hz)
--- End quote ---

In the end we are all and forever "newbies." 8)

Darwin:
Deep. No pun intended  :D

Seriously, cool little story, 40hz, thanks for sharing it with us. FWIW, I think that you and Tom are right - this thread is begining to encompass the entire forum!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version