ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (6/23) > >>

Paul Keith:
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I can contribute and I hear you but so far no luck.

I'm testing a new format after luckily being pointed to the personal area by mouser and finally discovering a forum writer around the same day because I got lucky with the keywords in Google.

Unfortunately several problems rear their head up. The writer isn't compatible with all the options on DC and it has the wrong previews. I'm glad I tested it before I finished writing all the text because the large format which looks large in the in-built preview screen becomes extra large in DC and I had to change the size to make them less intrusive in DC. (Largest size = 14, large size = 7)

Aside from that, this is probably the first topic of this magnitude that I've been able to test because I remember in a different forum when I made like just a list of 10 questions, the person replying told me that I probably wouldn't get any replies because I was asking too many questions so in the case with this, it took me a long time to dare to ask these questions and also to register on a forum like these where I have a tendency to ask these length of questions again. It didn't help that many software kept updating and I find my questions kept changing that it really was DC's friendly community (I've been an on and off lurker) that gave me the courage to try this again.

As for the new format, I intended it to be a table of contents topic where topics that were answered would be at the top, topics that were partially answered below and then finally old topics + some new additional topics I've thought of and each area would be all separated by a reply so I can permalink them to a separate new topic and only paste back the useful comments on to the thread but this is harder than it sounds.

I'm also considering how to separate these questions but many of them (to me) are so directly related that I risk repeating myself or posting another link just to connect both threads to provide the full context. I really want to avoid a case where I forgot to ask the question because everything wasn't in front of me.

40hz:
Deep. No pun intended  :D

Seriously, cool little story, 40hz, thanks for sharing it with us. FWIW, I think that you and Tom are right - this thread is begining to encompass the entire forum!
-Darwin (September 09, 2008, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think Mssr. Keith should start a blog. He writes well; his questions and observations are both intelligent and interesting; and he has the rare gift of "knowing what he does not know."

I'd bookmark him. :)

P.S. Thank you Paul. You bring a lot to the forum! :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith:
I've never had one before 40hz. Could you give me an idea on what quality to look for? The closest I got to a voice recorder was from a PocketPC and that was very clunky both to use and to import data of.
--- End quote ---

I've had the best luck with Sony. They seem to pack the most bang for the buck where I live. Olympus is also a good choice. I hesitate to recommend specific units since a model "year" in this market seems to be about four months. ;D

I would look for a USB output port and a reasonable number of hours recording time based on how I use it. Anything over eight hours would do it for me since I only use my recorder for notes. And I'm unusually good about copying them off onto my PC. Which leads to another major consideration for me: compatibility with Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software.

The arguments for and against voice recognition software could flood a forum thread. From what I've seen, it either works for you or it doesn't. For my PC (and my voice), it's a marriage made in heaven. It did take a lot of work to get it set up, but it's repaid itself several times over for me.

Note: DragonNS is an interesting product that puts me in an unusual position. I use it and I think highly of it. But I would never recommend it to someone. That's because it is somewhat of a crapshoot. It's expensive; there are no demos available; and not everyone can use it. So unless you're willing to risk a few hundred dollars and commit to the time necessary to "train" it, you're better off forgetting about speech recognition.
-40hz (September 09, 2008, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Damn, model "year" is kind of short. What does a USB output port do? I tried Googling but the images don't ring a bell.

Yeah, speech recognition is overkill to me since what I mainly want is something waterproof that can be used in the shower, probably something with a long battery life and something bare bones but sturdy and would last a while. I really don't mind jotting down my notes since I will probably be using this more often for quick notes and 1 or 2 mid-length conversations which is more to help me remember the conversation rather than for turning it into text.

Paul Keith:
I think Mssr. Keith should start a blog. He writes well; his questions and observations are both intelligent and interesting; and he has the rare gift of "knowing what he does not know."

I'd bookmark him. :)

P.S. Thank you Paul. You bring a lot to the forum! :Thmbsup:-40hz (September 09, 2008, 12:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks to all of you too. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for all of you making this a great forum to post in.

As for a blog...thanks for the suggestion but the few articles I've tried have not done well enough to reach the finished status.

Grorgy:
The USB output just lets you connect the notetaker to your PC through a USB port, dont have to play around trying to record it onto the pc some other way.  Mine came with some bundled software to make the exchange easy.

Short model years can be good, I got a superseded model for less than 1/2 its original price, ok its not quite as flash as the newer models but its better than the ones at the same price i got this one for  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version