ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of newbie questions regarding software

<< < (21/23) > >>

city_zen:
Have you tried the Open Source donationware ToDoList?

From their website:

ToDoList is a rare form of task management tool, one that allows you to repeatedly sub-divide your tasks into more manageable pieces whilst still presenting a clean and intuitive user experience.

ToDoList has been in continuous development for the last 4 years and is an ongoing project.

Your tasklists are stored in XML which provides many opportunities for advanced formatting and printing using stylesheets.
--- End quote ---

I think it fulfills several of your requirements

Paul Keith:
city_zen, I don't get the program. Where does it allow you to save a session of your to do list?

city_zen:
Paul, I don't think it lets you save the tasklist as a "session", but you can easily overcome that by first creating a "default" tasklist, and then opening it and saving it with another name to keep the "default" one unchanged and have it available later as a sort of template. You can then work with the newly saved tasklist and save its state whenever you like. The program also gives you the option (in Preferences) to keep a number of backup copies of each tasklist.

Paul Keith:
Thanks but I don't think that's going to work for me.

See, the thing with basing it around a "session" is organization so that when these things run amok you can easily find them and change/clone them in less time than it takes to copy paste/rewrite/reprint the to do list.

Armando:
I'm saying the obvious, but here : unless you write your own application or pay someone to write it for you, it's very unlikely (still... ok... slightly possible) that you'll find exactly what you want, with all the mini details. Software and organization is a lot about compromise -- right? Compromise and choices about security, accessibility, flexibility, ease of use, portability, scalability, sexiness, price, etc. etc.

One needs to find something that's close enough and try to work with it, find ingenious solutions (use one's imagination, creativity...) to circumvent limitations. Sometimes it's a combination of different software that'll create the best solution. Sometimes one has to adapt his/her ways of doing things slightly to match the software's design, etc.

There are no perfect software. I don't have one software -- especially the ones that I intensely use everyday -- that's perfect. They're all great, but they always have a little something I wish was different. Isn't this the same with... anything else in life?

I tend to obsess too about these types of things (it's a disease) : trying to find the perfect tool for such and such, the perfect career, the perfect place to live, etc. But in the end, really, it's probably not that important -- unless, of course, one likes the fun of always looking for that "thing" that's "better" than what here and now. Nothing wrong with that, I guess... depends.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version