ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite USB External Storage Device Manager -- and why?

<< < (7/7)

tranglos:
- Prohibit assigning drive letters (like network drives)
- Global hotkeys for each drive
- Re-enable removed devices
-wr975 (September 03, 2008, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I  bought Safely Remove recently for these specific features. I love having a single global hotkey to pop up a menu of connected devices and eject them by hitting Enter.

But I particularly wanted feature #1 above. I have a NAS drive mapped as D: on my system. For some reason whenever I atach as USB drive, Windows insists on setting it up as D: even though that letter is already taken. To use the USB drive I had to open Computer Management console and manually  change the letter. Windows would remember that for a while, until I plugged the drive into a different USB socket. Now I have Safely Remove block the letter D, and it also remembers letters assigned to previously  used devices.

Feature #3 is also nice to have when needed. Plus, as has been mentioned in this thread, free updates for life and you can use the program on all your personal machines. That's licensing I can believe in! :)

brahman:
USBDLM New Beta is out with interesting new features:
V4.2.9.25 beta (26th September 2008)

* New: In sections [OnArrival], OnRemoval etc up to 10 commands can be executed (open1 to open9 and the known open)
    * New: [OnArrival] for TrueCrypt volumes
    * New: When a DeviceID is configured then the BusType can be omitted for non USB drives, same for the DriveType e.g. for CDROM drives
    * New: [OnArrival] can start a program under Vista with full rights ("elevated")
    * New: Criteria "UserIsAdmin" is under Vista related to the "elevated" user, so it is 1 for an Admin under UAC
    * New: [OnRemovalFailed] is executed asynchronousely to avoid event ping pong when using RemoveDrive
    * New: AutoRun on System Events
    * New: NoMediaNoLetter more reliable under Windows 2000
    * New: First time arrivals under Windows 2000 optimized
    * New: Using [OnArrival], [OnRemoval] etc there is the new default criterion MinVolumeSize=1, so a media must be present
    * New: Drive letters can be checked [on resume] from standby and hibernation mode
    * New: Drive letters by Volume Serial Number

Armando:
Thanks brahman! these additions sure look nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version