ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite USB External Storage Device Manager -- and why?

(1/7) > >>

Armando:
[Edit : that thread's title used to be :  "USBDLM -- deserves a thread!" But I decided to cover change to cover a broader spectrum...]

I discovered USBDLM (USB drive letter manager)

I downloaded this program a while ago because it's been mentioned quite a few times. Never installed it.

Finally tried it yesterday. Wish I did that before! I love it.  :-*

What it is

USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Window's drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.
--- End quote ---

So many times, after using many different USB drives (HDs, USB sticks...), windows gets all mixed up and starts assigning unusual letters to my drive, which makes backuping, errrrrr, an interesting experience.

In some occasions, I had to reboot to be able to restore the letters to their usual drives (yup : sometimes, it's just impossible to reassign letters using "computer management", as you might all know).

And this is where USBDLM does its magic. Assign letters to specific drives (defined either by their size or by Device ID, for example), and bingo. My USB stick is always U:, and all other drives don't steal each other's letters anymore.  :up:

You just need to edit an INI file to configure the app. Not as user friendly as some would like, but quite simple in reality.

Try it out if you haven't! It works very well. Free for private use. :Thmbsup:

What's your favorite USB External Storage Device Manager -- and why?

lanux128:
yes, USB drive letter manager is very cool. :Thmbsup:

another cool tip:

Card Readers
The typical 20-in-1 card reader eats one drive letter for each of its slots - if we have a card for or not. USBDLM can remove the reader's drive letter until a media is inserted. This does not work under Windows 2000.

[Settings]
NoMediaNoLetter=1
-website
--- End quote ---

Armando:
ahah! should've mentionned that USBDLM stands for USB drive letter manager. Thanks Lanux.

The NoMediaNoLetter feature is very cool indeed.

pencoe:
Oh, yes, i'm using it too. Great Tool that simplifies life with USB drives a lot! Can't live without it anymore  8)

Recommended!

Peter

mouser:
Very nice find  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version