topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FF and Gmail users: is there any way to assign a shortcut to 'compose message'?  (Read 8357 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is for FF and Gmail users only: Is there any way to assign a shortcut to 'compose message'? I mean if you are not on the gmail tab; I know that c is 'compose'. But what if I'm in some other tab and I want to send a msg really quick?

Thanks!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After clicking 'Compose Mail', drag the internet icon from the address bar to the desktop.
Then you could put it in quick launch or whatever you use for quick access to web sites.

The compose mail page will come up blank. If you have certain people you mail all the time you could put that info in before dragging the icon to the desktop. Then it should come up with the info in it when clicked.

And it will open in a new tab, it does on mine anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 12:35 PM by cmpm »

anjan_oleti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I never knew the internet icon in the address bar is draggable... Thanks for the tip :)

I use the "Gmail Manager" extension... i have configured the middle-click on the status bar icon to take me to the compose page
Anjan Oleti

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you are welcome anjan

i'm not sure what type of shortcut urlwolf is looking for though

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
An AHK script to open this link with the hotkey of your choice would work, even outside of your browser:

http://mail.google.c...tf=1&to=&su=

Anybody want to make a nice polished script with a tray icon & all?

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks app;
In my side of things, that link is not really very efficient, because it shows the 'loading Gmail' progress bar. If I have to wait a few secs everytime I send an email... :)

Well, one thing I noticed is that FF loads gmail a lot faster than Opera.

cmpm: your solution works, but it takes a while to load too. Same problem. If you click compose on a window that has Gmail open already the text box is instantly up. Not if you use the link.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You could try switching to basic gmail.
It's faster then the latest with all the bells and whistles.

You get the same info, it's just plain.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've been using a modified bookmarklet based on Gmail This bookmarklet. just need to add a keyword and type that keyword on the location bar to open a compose window.

here's the code, just drag the link to your toolbar or bookmarks menu and drop.
javascript:(function(){m='http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=&su=';w=window.open(m,'status=yes,toolbar=no,resizable=yes');setTimeout(function(){w.focus();},%20250);})();

ws-compose-gmail-1.png

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just picked up on this-

Using Gmail just got easier (FF only)

If you're a Gmail user, the Google Toolbar can set Gmail as your default email program. Once you've done this, clicking on an email link will automatically open a Gmail Compose page. Learn more

http://www.google.co...5/intl/en/index.html

The FF users of google toolbar have been using version 3 and now there is a beta 5 for FF. There is a version 5 for IE7.

I haven't tried it yet, having just found out. I'd not like it if it screwed my settings up. Might give it a whirl tomorrow.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I don't use the Google Toolbar but Gmail is still set to my default e-mail program somehow. Maybe via Gtalk?