topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Lazy guy query: taggable file mgr  (Read 5396 times)

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Lazy guy query: taggable file mgr
« on: September 02, 2008, 07:15 PM »
Sorry to be so lazy (really I'm just super busy and trying to squeeze in one more project...) but I just don't have time to search all over for this right now. But I'm sure somebody here would know about it if it exists.  :-[

I'm looking for a file manager that works like a backup program. (Freeware preferred.) I want something that will let me tag files and folders hierarchically the way a backup program does, but instead of archiving them, move them all at once to target drive/folder.

Actually archiving them wouldn't be so bad, as long as it used zip files and could restore them easily.

So maybe that's just... a backup program? But I don't want to image my drive or do thing on a schedule - just a simple batch tag -> backup or copy operation.

I'm sending a laptop off for repair and I want to re-image the drive with the restore disk first, to eliminate any potential driver issues, etc. I need to back up my docs, profile folders, etc. but my external drive has limited space and I don't want to wait for the entire contents of temporary internet files (for example) to come along for the ride.

Anyway, any quick help would be appreciated. Thanks!
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Lazy guy query: taggable file mgr
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:24 PM »
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Thanks, Kimmchii!

I wound up spending the time to go and find something anyway. I remembered way back when there used to be a file manager (for DOS!) called XTree Gold that let you tag files and then operate on them.

Turns out there are numerous clones of this classic app. Most are full-blown Win32 applications now, although some still run in good old text mode. I wound up downloading Extreme (http://go.to/filextreme) which although running in text mode, is a Win32 app with good mouse support.

It did the trick and has earned a permanent place in my utilities folder on my thumb drive. Us lazy guys like power tools.  :D
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 04:44 PM »
For those that are as lazy as Jimdoria and Myself
Ultraexplorer is a filemanager mentioned at DC a few times and has a 'DropStack' window.

from help file
Adds a temporary drag drop staging area for file manipulation. Simply drag folders or files to the stack from UltraExplorer or Windows Explorer then drag the block of files to another window or Windows Explorer. To clear the stack simply press the Clear button.

and one of the Options
Auto Remove on Right Drag Only: Only removes the files from the DropStack Window if the user uses the right mouse button to do the drag. If the left button is used the files remain in the DropStack.

Screenshot showing DropStack
Ultraexplorer.pngLazy guy query: taggable file mgr

Negatives.
Mouse based, but I am lazy and did not look hard for KB shortcuts.

Brett
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 04:47 PM by brett »