topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bug? Search Folders File Extension Restrictions and Keywords  (Read 5962 times)

CatamountJack

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bug? Search Folders File Extension Restrictions and Keywords
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Mouser,

I tried using the "optional file extension restrictions" option under Search Folders, but it doesn't seem to be working.  In my %PROGRAMFILES% folder entry, I wanted to restrict the search to .exe and .bat.  So I added  exe;bat  to the optional file extension restrictions line.  When I use FARR to search for "notes", I'm getting entries for "Release Notes.txt" in various program folders.  Did I misunderstand how to use this option or is this a bug?  Running 2.30.01.

Also, when I use the "optional modifier keywords", is it
1.) supposed to prevent the folder from being searched until I use the +KEYWORD option, or
2.) is it supposed to search the folder all the time (when not using the keyword), but restrict the search to just that folder when I do use +KEYWORD?
When I first read about it, I thought it was the latter, but it's acting like the former.

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Bug? Search Folders File Extension Restrictions and Keywords
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Regarding the modifier keywords, it is supposed to do #1, BUT you can make it act like #2 if you just add * to the modifier list.

Regarding the optional file extension restrictions, can you try disabling all the other search paths to make sure the problem isn't that it's finding files in other search directories.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 03:49 PM »
CatamountJack, it might be the case the "Release Notes.txt" is actually stored in one of your program file folders, but a shortcut is placed in your start menu. This way I assume FARR will still list the file as it actually finds the file in your start menu, whereas the .exe & .bat extension restriction is not active. A shortcut is .lnk anyway and does not have the linked file's extension. Maybe post a screenshot of FARR when you have entered 'notes' in the bar so we can see it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 06:16 PM »
yes - you might also try to select the item with the mouse and check statusbar to see full location.