ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (29/35) > >>

Ehtyar:
Aaand again...

Ehtyar.

Grorgy:
Isn't this the purpose of beta releases, to test them in real world environments and fix errors?

They probably should not have released it with such enthusiasm as they did till the bugs had been squashed, but still, it is a beta version.

Ehtyar:
Isn't this the purpose of beta releases, to test them in real world environments and fix errors?

They probably should not have released it with such enthusiasm as they did till the bugs had been squashed, but still, it is a beta version.
-Grorgy (September 07, 2008, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
I anticipated someone might mention this. It's all well and good to say any beta browser has these flaws, but can anyone give me a good reason as to why Google kept the browser closed source until its initial beta release, other than creating media hysteria, which isn't a good reason to begin with? This is not to mention Google's misuse/abuse of the 'BETA' moniker since the GMail fiasco...

Ehtyar.

Paul Keith:
Portable edition now available

It's all well and good to say any beta browser has these flaws, but can anyone give me a good reason as to why Google kept the browser closed source until its initial beta release, other than creating media hysteria, which isn't a good reason to begin with? This is not to mention Google's misuse/abuse of the 'BETA' moniker since the GMail fiasco...
--- End quote ---

Insurance against the web and rival competitors although marketing is already a big enough reason to do this. See any browser besides Firefox who have small market share despite possibly appealing to certain users.

Think back on how Opera has one of the most stable betas in the past and it never get them much marketshare despite getting coverage everytime they release a "new" feature. Why? Because if it's not something an extension maker would copy to Firefox shortly thus killing the appeal, it's their poor marketing efforts in the first place.

Again, think back on how "well received" Safari was for Windows that mar it to this day even with updates.

I think the better question is, can anyone give you a definite bad reason for Google's decision to keep the browser under wraps.

I agree with your assessment on Gmail though. That's why I don't mind this one. This is probably the best beta entry Google has ever had and it's also one of the best entry for a browser that I've seen for quite some time.

Firefox already killed IE through extensions.
Maxthon and Opera already killed IE through security, out of the box features and customization.
Now the only thing left is to kill the beast on marketing and user interface. After that, I think we'll finally get Browser Wars 2 and it should be one hell of a ride.

urlwolf:
Using Dirhael's nice updater, I downloaded the exe.
Clicked on it a few times, nothing happened (no install wizard came up). I looked in the process explorer and have a few instances for googleUpdater. Damn. What did I do wrong?

I'm worried the updater is not working.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version