Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 21, 2014, 03:07:51 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2014! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours  (Read 138261 times)
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »

Did you see the way it marks search occurrences on the left scroll bar? Nifty! (Search is ctrl F)
urlwolf
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »

Lashiec, is this what you mean by Opera's adblocker:
http://mtsix.com/articles.../opera-9-ad-blocking.html

It's primitive as hell, you have to select ads you don't want to see by hand!
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »

2justice
I am not saying that Google is but might. At least some users explains bugs (or protect authors) using this as an excuse.

Maybe it is strange but I feel that I can trust any application with "final" or "stable" suffixes and be sure that authors guarantee some level of professionalism. In the case of beta I can only stay aware that something bad might always happen because no one holds responsibility at all. I am not trying to be like "Google sucks, lol haxorz!!11oneoneone" but I want to point out something strange behind it.

Why, after few years of development, they can't just publish something stable? Does it not make you wander?

Edited
How can "beta" be mentioned in help only if everytime as I go to google.com I can see "New! Download Chrome (BETA) - the new browser from Google" message?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:16:09 AM by fenixproductions » Logged

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Lashiec

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »

Lashiec, is this what you mean by Opera's adblocker:
http://mtsix.com/articles.../opera-9-ad-blocking.html

It's primitive as hell, you have to select ads you don't want to see by hand!

There, a more modern version (click on the Opera logo), it even has an Element Hider, and performs mostly like Adblock Plus on Firefox.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 10:41:29 AM by Lashiec » Logged
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »

Thanks Lashiec.

Also, does anybody know how to change the minimum default size in Chrome?
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »

ahh, finally a decent copy-paste with formatting smiley.
It also has spelling on textboxes. Great.
The only thing I miss for fully moving away from Opera is M2 and (gmail could do) and intellicomplete working. Tough call on that one, as it's abandonware.
Lashiec

« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2008, 11:24:01 AM »

Whoo, in just one day the browser has more market share than Opera.
Edvard
Coding Snacks Author
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:18 AM »

Edvard: regarding '2': ctrl+shift+n, or something like that. It opens a new window on incognito mode Wink
Yeah, I got that, I would just like to have a shortcut in my start menu that starts it up in incognito mode.

Regarding Linux:
http://dev.chromium.org/d.../build-instructions-linux
(the following quote is outlined in a red text box at the head of the page)
Note: There is no working Chromium-based browser on Linux. Although many Chromium submodules build under Linux and a few unit tests pass, all that runs is a command-line "all tests pass" executable.
huh Angry

All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.
sri
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2008, 12:41:16 PM »

Chrome doesn't like me. No web page loads for me  undecided

Fixed.

http://www.howtotuts.com/...-chromes-aw-snap-problem/

quartzite7
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:12 PM »

GridMove does not work with Google Chrome!
Actually, it does work, but it interfeers with the changing of tabs, because they don't respect the standard look of windows.
Unfortunatelly, there's not much that can be done Sad

What do you mean it does work? How?
jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

GridMove does not work with Google Chrome!
Actually, it does work, but it interfeers with the changing of tabs, because they don't respect the standard look of windows.
Unfortunatelly, there's not much that can be done Sad

What do you mean it does work? How?
I see it's better we talk in PM, to avoid cluttering this thread. I'll follow up on PM.

40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »

by the way -- does anyone know if there is a term in the field of commercial marketing where a company releases a product without the actual intention of spending much money marketing it -- but instead just to scare away or keep the competition in line, using the threat of large-scale marketing if a competitor tries to challenge them?

Don't know if there's a specific name for it other than FUD.

And FUD was something pioneered by none other than Thomas A. Edison.

Back in the days when he was referred to as The Wizard of Menlo Park, there was a general belief (in America) that anything that came from Edison and the fledgling Edison Electric Corporation was (or would be) vastly superior to anything else on the market.

Edison learned to capitalize on his reputation by denying emerging tech markets to his competitors. If a product came out that he was interested in, all he had to do was announce that his company would soon be coming out with its own version, and the other product would immediately stop selling.

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2008, 04:25:59 PM »

Apparently chrome will also automatically download executables from any URL without prompt. We can see here that Mountain View was obviously exercising the good old head noodle when they added that "feature" *cough*vulnerability*cough*.

Ehtyar.
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »

Apparently chrome will also automatically download executables from any URL without prompt. We can see here that Mountain View was obviously exercising the good old head noodle when they added that "feature" *cough*vulnerability*cough*.

Ehtyar.

Well, this is even scarier:
http://news.cnet.com/8301...tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.0

Google is looking more and more evil by the minute.
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2008, 04:40:01 PM »

Good freakin' god!!! How bad does this have to get before people will wake up?!

Ehtyar.
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »

It can be fixed by disabling autocompleter in options:
http://coderrr.wordpress....acy-worse-than-you-think/
urlwolf
Charter Member

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2008, 05:29:13 PM »

I love this comment though:
Chrome is, practically, a brilliant new operating system. It has a new permissions structure, built in malware protection, a compiler, a javascript virtual machine, a task manager, a rendering engine, a new process management system, local storage, and is wicked fast. This is the biggest technical jump in browser tech since mosaic.

You'd hear this much about a new windows or mac os, but it would mean far less. Chrome will open the way for web apps that are as good, as robust, and as beautiful as desktop apps. It's more than just hype.

Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »

It can be fixed by disabling autocompleter in options:
http://coderrr.wordpress....acy-worse-than-you-think/
IMO there is no "fix" for this short of a recompile without Google spy code.
I love this comment though:
Chrome is, practically, a brilliant new operating system.
ROFL!

Ehtyar.
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »

Good freakin' god!!! How bad does this have to get before people will wake up?!

Ehtyar.

Mmph. Snort. Cough. <eyes flutter open> Wha...?

uninstalling now...

This scared me as well (even if it probably doesn't affect me anyway)...

Dang ehtyar and urlwolf! Give us a chance to post this! That's about five posts while I've been trying to get this one up. Sheesh  Grin

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2008, 05:37:48 PM »

FWIW - I'm going to watch Google Chrome. However, if the early reports about the way in which it gathers and stores information about the dolt on the other end using it is true, they are surely flirting with legal action (class action suits, anti-trust laws, etc.). No?

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:08 PM »

One would hope so indeed, though I daresay it's gotten to the point that Google has so much legal clout that really no one would bother, especially if Google is already running around saying "We'll fix it, we'll fix it!". That sort of thing just seems to make everyone remember that the sun shines out of google.com.

Ehtyar.

P.S. Sorry for cutting you off, I guess we forgot that other people are upset about Chrome too tongue
fenixproductions
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #121 on: September 03, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »

2Darwin
Be sure to cleanup completely, especially:
HKCU\Software\Google\Update\UsageStats\

Надо было учиться, а не камни в школу бросать...
--
When I am bored I write for displaynone smiley
--
f0dder is my personal hero smiley
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #122 on: September 03, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

P.S. Sorry for cutting you off, I guess we forgot that other people are upset about Chrome too

No worries!

2Darwin

Thanks for the heads up - I didn't know about that one. My comfort level is not improved by seeing the kinds of info that that contained. I should have read it more clearly and written some of it down before deleting, but didn't... Stuff that I remember includes "User has UAC enabled"

Ehtyar
Supporting Member

That News Guy

« Reply #123 on: September 03, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »

2Darwin

Thanks for the heads up - I didn't know about that one. My comfort level is not improved by seeing the kinds of info that that contained. I should have read it more clearly and written some of it down before deleting, but didn't... Stuff that I remember includes "User has UAC enabled"
Me either, thanks! Also not sure if i mentioned it yet, but uninstalling chrome does not uninstall the Google Updater, you have to manually remove it from local appdata (same install location as Chrome itself.

Ehtyar.
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #124 on: September 03, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »

Doh! I'll have to go digging around to get rid of the updater - I hate automatic updaters and I sense that I really don't want this one on my system!

Thanks ehtyar  Thmbsup

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.056s | Server load: 0.14 ]