ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (6/35) > >>

mwang:
I'm afraid I disagree with mouser on this one. I think Google set its goal higher than simply keeping its throne in the search (and search ads) field. Google wants to take the lead in the cloud computing arena, IMHO, and it wants its vast array of current and future services to succeed.

Let's face it, modern browsers (FF, Opera and IE) have pretty good performance already in terms of rendering regular web pages. And yet for web2.0 and cloud computing services to effectively compete with their desktop brethren, performance remains an issue.

I think Google is getting impatient about browsers' development in this regard, and for certain it doesn't want Microsoft to take the lead. The V8 thing is a hint. Google wants better performance with javascript, and more.

By making Google Chrome open source, it welcome others to borrow its code. If that means its key technologies becoming de facto industry standard, and better performance -- probably followed by greater market share -- for its various cloud computing services, it's all the merrier for Google.

Just my 2 cents, of course. We never know until it's really out there.

Lutz_:
Google has ambitious goals wit their online-apps.  They simply needed a better, more stable and faster, browser for the AJAX universe.

mwang:
It's Tuesday and still nothing. no download yet of this browser.
I've heard now it's going to be Wednesday.-cmpm (September 02, 2008, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome) says:
The beta for the Windows version is due to be released September 2, 2008. Google will host a press conference that day at 18:00 UTC (11:00 am PDT).

The official announcement was scheduled for September 3, 2008 ...
--- End quote ---

I don't know their source of information, though.

fenixproductions:
I will happily welcome this browser because of few reasons which are important to me: limits of rendering engines and usability issues.

Currently you can have to fair enough engines on Windows: Presto (Opera) and Gecko (Firefox). We can all forget about Trident, like it forgot about standards. Safari for Win (WebKit) is just a joke for everyone. I've found IE more usable for me.

When it comes to think about first two mentioned I cannot use them for 100% of my browsing time. I have many problems with Google apps and some movies in the Internet under Opera. On the other side: Firefox is big slug for me. Even if I try to optimize it via strange settings, it is still slower then Opera. Unfortunately: other web browsers use already mentioned engines because of its policies (KMeleon) or because of being just addons (Maxthon).

I've learnt to live with pros and cons of each browser and vary their use on needed content but sometimes I would like to have another way to fight with.

Maybe GBrowser ( ;) ) will be an answer, maybe - not. Time will show.

kartal:
I think that company like google would have short and long term goals. The short term goal is coming up with a browser that serves better web apps. In the mid run probably they will try to turn this in to some form of operating system thus being the ultimate ms killer. And in the long run they just want people to wake up with google , go to bed with google.

I will keep myself out of this game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version