ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (4/35) > >>

mediaguycouk:
I like it when a company pushes. IE was great when it killed Netscape but then stayed rubbish until Firefox came along. Now we have another new version coming. If this makes Firefox better than great.

justice:
how many developers do they have for all these projects wow

urlwolf:
Interesting how they have copied many things opera has invented.
THe url box inside the tab, the better autocompletion, speed dial...

I'm excited about this. I'm sure most sites will render well because their approach to testing it is brilliant.

I'm sure the other contenders are shitting their pants about now.

lanux128:
in their 'introductory' comic book, Google do mention their browser is based on open-source Webkit (the same engine used by Safari) and they freely borrowed from other browsers. they also commended their team in Denmark for building a JavaScript Virtual Machine within the browser.

i wonder if they got tired of all their ads being blocked that they had to release their own browser. ;D but i'm still waiting for the official release.

allen:
I doubt it'll become my primary web browser . . . I don't expect it to have the graceful customization and keyboard friendliness of Opera, it won't be a true MDI and, too, will lack Firefox's redeeming quality--extension support.  Unless it happens to be extremely fast and extremely light weight with passable keyboard support, it'll just be a novelty download for me.

That said, being the opposite of Kartal in all things google, I am excited to take a peak at Chrome.  I'm a bit disappointed they didn't ground-up write this, including the rendering engine, but I'm curious to see their results. And as aforementioned, if nothing else perhaps it *will* introduce some really innovative features over time to rejuvinate browser development accross the board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version