ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google Chrome -- a new browser coming (in beta) in a few hours

<< < (3/35) > >>

kartal:
Grorgy,
I did not mean that you can write a whole scholarly paper based on wikipedia. I was just trying to circle an idea there. I am not praising wikipedia as a sole holy information source. It is rather a good place to check some quick facts. And it sure helps people stay informed in certain topics. it is helpful.

mwang:
I believe Google has its own agenda, which might not be in the best interest of users (at least the privacy-conscious ones). But as long as it sticks to its promise in keeping Google Chrome open source, I don't think there's too much to worry about, because:

1. extensions in the line of Noscript and Adblock Plus should spring up soon enough when needed.

2. Firefox (and extensions) developers could return the favor and take whatever useful from Google Chrome.

Anyway, it's coming and we can't stop it. Let's just wait and see how it goes.

mediaguycouk:
At least if it is open source and google stick in some stong profiling or adverts then someone else will just remove them and re-compile it.

Ehtyar:
I agree wholeheartedly with most of the concerns expressed here in this thread, though I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Google is simply being opportunistic, and only those ignorant enough not to see it will be affected.  You may try and try again to reach these people, but they are the same type of person who uses stock standard IE...they simply don't care.
As mwang has suggested, none of us will miss out on features; Google stole features from every other browser on the market, and the Firefox development community will respond in kind. IMO this browser is nothing for most of us to worry about, except to concern ourselves with the plight of those willing to use this browser, and the damage its use may cause to Net Neutrality.

Ehtyar.

Eóin:
At least if it is open source and google stick in some stong profiling or adverts then someone else will just remove them and re-compile it.
-mediaguycouk (September 02, 2008, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, a high profile project like this will be watched by many eyes. It may not be perfect, but we will know about any issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version