ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Document shortcut organiser - Does such a thing exist?

<< < (2/2)

brett:
Don't dismiss a favorite among some DC users.  (non associated, but a fan)

ToDoList

In the perfect world, it would have the following features:

* Drag and drop a document into the window and a new row is created
* Ability to quickly and simply move the rows up and down or assign projects (or have a simple text interface like Todopaper)
* Ability to rename the files inside the organiser without renaming the target file
* Be free or relatively cheap
* Be small and portable-mnemonic (September 01, 2008, 01:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Drag and Drop -
- multiple files to the comments area creates a shortcut.  (Activate link by holding down 'Ctrl' whilst Left Mouse click.
or
- a single file to the file Link Field (adds a icon in the task list)

Move Up and Down
- by holding down 'Ctrl' and uses arrow keys Up, Down and also Left Right

Ability to rename the files inside the organiser without renaming the target file
- ?
Free -
- freeware, but donations can be made, so in the DC tradition......

Small and Portable
- Happily runs on portable drives, but relative file links between machines might be troublesome

Screenshot one shows Mockup with multiple shortcuts in comments window
Screenshot two shows shortcut in FileLink

PPLandry:
I'm using SQLNotes that way but it does a lot of other things & it's in beta at the moment but I believe it wont "Be free or [relatively] cheap" but will be portable.
-tomos (September 01, 2008, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
Personal licenses is set to $49.99 for the full featured version, IMO quite affordable. A free, feature limited version may come after V1.0 release.

OTOH, SQLNotes--mentioned by tomos--above, promises dynamic link tracking (not sure if it's implemented yet).
-mwang (September 02, 2008, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dynamic link tracking (basically not linking to the actual file, but to an automatically generated shortcut) is not yet implemented, but easy to do. The first one to ask gets it  ;)

mwang:
Dynamic link tracking (basically not linking to the actual file, but to an automatically generated shortcut) is not yet implemented, but easy to do. The first one to ask gets it  ;)-PPLandry link=topic=14664.msg127276#msg127276
--- End quote ---

I certainly would ask if I'm committed. For now, however, I'm steering clear of SQLNotes. Not because it's bad. It's very good, according to my own experience a few betas back. It's so good that I'm afraid I'll be hooked if I keep using it.

And it's not because I'm too frugal to pay. It's just at this moment in time as I'm getting ready to set myself free from Windows (at least I hope so), I really don't want something that would keep me leashed to the system.

By any chance there will be a linux version in the future?

mnemonic:
Thanks for the replies all, much appreciated  :Thmbsup:

I've tried ToDoList for this and it seems to do the best job out of the lot - never got on with it as a todo list manager (I'm a committed todo.txt man now), but it works well for the document management purpose.  I'll give it a go and see if it stands the test of time - as with all these things, they're great until you get to the point where you don't have time to maintain it for a few days and at that point you lose trust in it...

tranglos, I'm a Directory Opus user at home, but I wanted something for work where the use of personally licensed software is a bit of a grey area.  What you've proposed for your "vapourware" sounds like a great solution though!

PPLandry:
Dynamic link tracking (basically not linking to the actual file, but to an automatically generated shortcut) is not yet implemented, but easy to do. The first one to ask gets it  ;)-PPLandry link=topic=14664.msg127276#msg127276
--- End quote ---

I certainly would ask if I'm committed. For now, however, I'm steering clear of SQLNotes. Not because it's bad. It's very good, according to my own experience a few betas back. It's so good that I'm afraid I'll be hooked if I keep using it.

And it's not because I'm too frugal to pay. It's just at this moment in time as I'm getting ready to set myself free from Windows (at least I hope so), I really don't want something that would keep me leashed to the system.

By any chance there will be a linux version in the future?
-mwang (September 02, 2008, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
- As in a native Linux: No
- As a Windows app running on Linux (VMWare or other): We're working on it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version