Thanks for the answers.
I haven't got much time to look at that today.
In any case, if I want a cheapish solution, it really seems like I'll have to decompile and recompile the chm files -- as target and shades suggested (using the GridinSoft CHM Decoder
, for instance).
There doesn't seem to be many utilities that do annotations and bookmarking for chm documents. I found only one that does that (which is already pretty good, I guess...), and maybe a bit more : UltraChm
($29.95 ... But it seems
that one could use the unregistered version -- with its reminder window to register -- for a while. Using the unregistered version doesn't seem to be legal, but there's no protection scheme : it 's really up to the user to register after trying it for a little while.)
I've installed it and it's basic. Still, it does what it's supposed to do quite nicely. Here's my miniminimini review
The most interesting features:
- Make note with highlight on the current selected words (really : only highlighting
, no real written "annotations" features)
- Changed the highlight color for note
- Erase all note in the current page (No undo! Careful...)
- Zoom in current font size
- Zoom out current font size
(could be convenient in certain cases)
- Bookmark current page for the next time to read
- If you want to print current page, your can preview it first
- Print current page
- Save current page to a *.mht file or a *.html file
- Extract current CHM ebook to html files in specify directry
(could be useful...)
- Read with fullscreen
There might be other solutions, but haven't found anything satisfying yet
Of course, there are interesting converters like :
- Windows CHM to Word 2008
- CHM To PDF Converter
(28 eur for the Basic verision...
[EDIT]And BTW : shades Universal Document Converter seems like a nice software! Just a bit too expensive for me at the moment. ($69 US)[/EDIT]
Will have to look at those, even if they're expensive... I'd really like the Word format to read and annotate.
And there are also... VERY expensive solutions, not at all for me because it's waaaaaayyyyy beyond what I need, and overkill for that simple task :
- Help & Manual