topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:11 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Save Firefox Search Engines  (Read 4623 times)

anjan_oleti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Save Firefox Search Engines
« on: August 30, 2008, 01:30 PM »
I would like to save the search engines in Firefox3, as a backup

Could someone plz tell me how to do that!

Cheers!
Anjan Oleti

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Save Firefox Search Engines
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:36 AM »
You mean the search engines that enable you to search using the search box at the up-right corner? they're stored in "search.sqlite" in your Firefox profile folder. If you have installed custom search engine plugins, the original .xml files are under the "searchplugins" subfolder (their settings are also stored in search.sqlite).

If you mean the "quick search" engines that you can use from the address bar (Awesomebar), they're stored in places.sqlite (along with other bookmarks).

If you mean some other extensions that provide inline searching or other similar function while browsing, you have to hunt down the extensions.

If you want more than making a temporary backup copy (e.g., before tinkering with it), the FEBE extension should backup your whole FF profile (I don't use it, so I don't know how good it is).

anjan_oleti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 01:52 AM »
I needed "search.sqlite"
I have FEBE extension.. but I am not sure whether it backs up those 'search engines'
Thanks mwang!
Anjan Oleti

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Well the search engines are shown in your FF Profile folder, correct?  And FEBE claims to back up the WHOLE Profile, as mentioned by mwang, so that should do it. If you are still suspicious of FEBE then you shouldn't use it, I guess.

You can always go to the Firefox user folder and make a copy of the search engines there. Or make a copy of the entire folder and store it elsewhere, on a CD, an external drive, online data storage, etc.

Jim

anjan_oleti

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:19 AM »
Well the search engines are shown in your FF Profile folder, correct?  And FEBE claims to back up the WHOLE Profile, as mentioned by mwang, so that should do it. If you are still suspicious of FEBE then you shouldn't use it, I guess.

You can always go to the Firefox user folder and make a copy of the search engines there. Or make a copy of the entire folder and store it elsewhere, on a CD, an external drive, online data storage, etc.

Well, last time I restored using FEBE, i remember rearranging the toolbar buttons and adding the search engines again (though there is a specific option in FEBE to backup and restore search plugins)
But am not sure if it was because of an error on my part or FEBE... So, I don't want to take chances.
Ofcourse I din't stop using it, coz it restored all other stuff (extensions, preferences, etc)

Thanks for the tip on copying the entire folder... I'll check it out next time
And if it works... bye bye FEBE!

Anjan Oleti