ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Battery Icon Stuck ???

<< < (2/3) > >>

f0dder:
Definitely remove the battery when you're running off AC, unless you live in an area with unstable power grid. Does wonders for battery lifetime :)

jgpaiva:
Definitely remove the battery when you're running off AC, unless you live in an area with unstable power grid. Does wonders for battery lifetime :)
-f0dder (September 02, 2008, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Have you tested that?
I really really really would like to see a test side by side of 2 laptops running with/without battery, to check if the battery life is improved.

f0dder:
--- End quote ---
Have you tested that?
I really really really would like to see a test side by side of 2 laptops running with/without battery, to check if the battery life is improved.
-jgpaiva (September 02, 2008, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, to be honest I've only had experience with two laptops with this kind of thing - both mainly ran on AC power, with battery inserted. After a few years, both batteries were dead. One to the point where to laptop can't even be powered on with the battery inserted.

So I guess it's more a "removing the battery while on AC means you don't kill it" rather than "increases battery life" :). Also, it's possible that laptops have gotten smarter and don't route AC power through the battery if it's fully charged, which would probably solve the problem.

jgpaiva:
So I guess it's more a "removing the battery while on AC means you don't kill it" rather than "increases battery life" :). Also, it's possible that laptops have gotten smarter and don't route AC power through the battery if it's fully charged, which would probably solve the problem.
-f0dder (September 02, 2008, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, my guess was that laptops try not to damage the battery, but I may be wrong, that's why I was asking, I really would like to know if it does any good.
It's just that removing the battery can be VERY anoying :) (Also, it's just one more place for the dust to creep in ;) - that's what I say to myself as an excuse for lazyness)

gorinw13:
--- End quote ---
Have you tested that?
-jgpaiva (September 02, 2008, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

well you did not ask me but my personal experience with a guess is that running on AC might not change a lot..... This is just a guess but based on the fact that I have been using my notebook for a bit more than 2 years nearly 24/5 and until last month there were no problems and when not connected to AC, it was having 2 hours activity as it was in the first day.... Considering that a life of battery is 2-3 years (is that correct?) 2 years with the same performance as the first day means it did not loose too much power.... According to the notebook hardware control software, its wear level is only 26% (I guess it is a good level?...)

These are only humble opinions of mine, but I guess I will do the same with a new battery that I will purchase because my experience was not too bad (with AC on).... May be I am wrong --- some of you would know better considering the technical knowledge..... Fodder would be correct..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version