ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

OCR/Text Recognition in a .pdf document? How do I do this.

<< < (5/5)

Darwin:
From a quick read of the Foxit PDF Editor user's manual (albeit for version 1.5, though there is no mention of this feature having been added for version 2), I don't think it has any OCR capabilities, though it does appear to be a powerful and impressive application.

TopOCR looks interesting - and  the price is right (free)! Using it in conjunction with Foxit PDF Editor might be an easy and effective workaround. Nice find  :Thmbsup:

Softland:
BTW, Curt, I notice that NovaPDF (all flavours) is on sale at the moment. Will it handle this as well (ie allow you to save a pdf created as an archive of image files as a searchable pdf)?
-Darwin (August 29, 2008, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
novaPDF cannot save an image as a searchable pdf because it's a pdf printer driver without pdf editing capabilities (a goal on the long run though). To do this you would have to perform OCR with a different program and after that convert the recognized text to a pdf with searchable text.

I wonder if NovaPDF will do this (process/change existing pdfs) printing an existing pdf from a pdf reader...?
-Darwin (August 29, 2008, 10:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
novaPDF can create a PDF from a pdf reader (you open the pdf in foxit/adobe and hit print, select novapdf and save the pdf), however it cannot change existing pdfs (no editing capabilities).

Darwin, your question caused a minor panic around here, because I couldn't remember that novaPdf comes from the company Softland (also the maker of Backup4All), so I couldn't find the (censored) folder... So finally I went to Revo_Uninstaller to ask, and realized that I actually have two (almost) identical programs
-Curt (August 29, 2008, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Softland publishes both Backup4all and novaPDF (and dopdf). We also sell developer tools for creating/handling pdf, so as I see you have installed yourself novaPDF (as a separate pdf driver) but also purchased another program that uses our licensed technology. No need to panic, they both are well behaved and don't interact with each other (though randomly in our tests a 3rd smaller pdf printer sometimes appeared from nowhere :) ).

Darwin:
Hi Softland - thank you for your reply and clarification about NovaPDF's editing capabilities (or lack thereof). Hope this is added in the future - it's a great feature!

Softland:
NovaPDF's editing capabilities (or lack thereof). Hope this is added in the future - it's a great feature!
-Darwin (September 01, 2008, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
We know it's a great feature, if only it wouldn't be that difficult to implement.

Curt:
NovaPDF's editing capabilities (or lack thereof). Hope this is added in the future - it's a great feature!-Darwin (September 01, 2008, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
We know it's a great feature, if only it wouldn't be that difficult to implement.-Softland (September 01, 2008, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it should be all implemented, but maybe made available as (stand-alone?) add-ons or whatever, otherwise I would expect the virtual printer to become much too slow. But I would certainly want my virtual printer to have a button named EDIT - and when clicked it would ask if I want to edit the file as a pdf or rtf or doc or or or..., or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version