ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What do you usually forget to backup?

(1/2) > >>

p3lb0x:
Since I am gonna reinstall windows today, I need to backup. I have backed everything that I think I'll need up. But then it hit me, what did I forget to backup?

What do you guys usually forget to backup?

tranglos:
Customized Windows fonts and colors (Desktop -> Properties). Then I can never remember whether I was using Verdana or Tahoma, 8 or 9 pt, or exactly what RGB values I was using for window background, and whatever I try, it doesn't look right anymore until I get used to it again :)

And I always zip up the whole Windows and Program Files folders to keep for a while in case an application decides it's missing a DLL. Doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to under Win95, but I still keep those zip files for a few months after a reinstall.

Oh, and a manual backup of selected registry keys, to easily restore licenses and settings for various apps.

Other than that, nothing really. It usually takes me the better part of the day to make a manual backup of everything I need to keep, on top of the automated backup archives. Reinstall comes on the following day.

cranioscopical:
Similar things to which tranglos refers, program customizations.

* Settings for favourite editors etc.
* Home-grown actions for such programs as Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.
* If you install software into one location, it's a good idea to take a directory of its contents. Quite often, on a new machine, I realize that I've forgotten to install utility x; that usually happens 3 minutes after I desperately NEED to use utility x to meet my deadline.

lanux128:
slightly off-topic but this lifehacker blog post offers a tip that purportedly can save one from re-activation after reinstalling WinXP by saving a certain file. might be a good time to test the claim.

just noticed, this tip isn't necessary for those reinstalling from the original CD.

• http://lifehacker.com/5043449/copy-a-single-file-to-avoid-re+activating-windows-xp

edbro:
Word templates such as normal.dot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version