topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 25, 2024, 9:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: McKinnon to Face Trial in the US  (Read 3730 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
McKinnon to Face Trial in the US
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Alleged hacker Gary McKinnon faces extradition to the US within two weeks, charged with breaking into NASA's computer system.

Screenshot - 29_08_2008 , 11_18_08 AM_thumb.png

'NASA hacker' Gary McKinnon has lost his European Court of Human Rights appeal against extradition to the US.

McKinnon, 42, is charged in the US with unauthorised access to computers and causing damage to a protected system. He has fought attempts to try him in the US, where he fears he could be treated as a terrorist, tried in a military tribunal and ultimately imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay.

Full Story

Ehtyar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: McKinnon to Face Trial in the US
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Although I am personally appalled by some (ok many) of the things the US government is doing in the name of the "war on terrorism," I can't really sympathize with Gary McKinnon.

...he fears he could be treated as a terrorist, tried in a military tribunal and ultimately imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay.

If he is half as smart as he thinks he is, what did he honestly expect?

If you are attempting to illegally access government networks after 9/11 you are messing with The Man. If you 're going to do that you had better be either very smart, very brave - or just incredibly naive. Whichever label applies you definately have a closet death wish.

Back in my college days there used to be a saying in the Campus Computer Center: "If your screwing with The Man, don't get caught. And if you do get caught, make sure it's not for something where they're looking to set an example."

Gary got caught. And they are looking to set an example. Which makes him their new "Poster Boy."

I wish him the best of luck. He's gonna need it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:12 PM by 40hz »