topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone uses MediaMonkey? I need your advices.  (Read 18264 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone uses MediaMonkey? I need your advices.
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:15 AM »
Hi,

I need a wav and mp3 files management software
1) Unicode aware
2) Powerful mp3 tag info edit
3) Rip Audio CD and convert to MP3 format.
4) Normalize volumn levels of a group of MP3 files and burn a MP3 CD/DVD so that I can play in DVD player at home or in my car (which support MP3)

I have difficulty navigating (very slow) the mediamonkey website and I can't register as member for their forum.
Any mediamonkey user? Is this software good?

Or do you have a software better than MediaMonkey to recommand?

mnemonic

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • My website
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone uses MediaMonkey? I need your advices.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 12:51 PM »
I've been a MM user (lifetime license) for a number of years now and can vouch for it's ability to do 2, 3 and 4 (not sure about 1).  The mp3 tagging support is superb and the mp3 conversion uses the LAME encoder, so is excellent quality.

Would I buy it now?  Not sure - there are many more efficient players around for free (e.g. foobar, xmplayer etc.).  Tagging can be done via Picard http://musicbrainz.org/ - although the track properties in MM gives you a huge amount of control over the tracks (e.g. tempo, mood etc.) - and there are a thousand-and-one CD rippers, converters and burners.

The MM skins really put me off at first, but the non-skinned version looks better.

So, it's good, but you'll really need to demo it before buying to decide if it's $40 better than the free stuff.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:05 PM »
I've been a MM user (lifetime license) for a number of years now and can vouch for it's ability to do 2, 3 and 4 (not sure about 1).  The mp3 tagging support is superb and the mp3 conversion uses the LAME encoder, so is excellent quality.

Would I buy it now?  Not sure - there are many more efficient players around for free (e.g. foobar, xmplayer etc.).  Tagging can be done via Picard http://musicbrainz.org/ - although the track properties in MM gives you a huge amount of control over the tracks (e.g. tempo, mood etc.) - and there are a thousand-and-one CD rippers, converters and burners.

The MM skins really put me off at first, but the non-skinned version looks better.

So, it's good, but you'll really need to demo it before buying to decide if it's $40 better than the free stuff.

I just bought my lifetime license at USD29.96 with this coupon: MM2-UPG-DISC25, that save me 25% off the price. In this particular case, I prefer the utility that manage the audio files to be the one who rip and burn as well... so I ma satisfy!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:26 PM »
Heh, heh, thanks for posting the discount code, tslim (I think  :o:Thmbsup:

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:02 PM »
I wonder how everyone buy software license?
In my case:
Step1: check whether there is a discount code from, well this site: www.donationcoder.com
Step2: otherwise check shareware plaza: www.sharewareplaza.com (many software there got discount)
Step3: otherwise search google with xxx+coupon+discount+special offer
Otherwise: just buy.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 02:15 PM »
Oh, I always check for discounts - I just don't always find them! I'm not actually that tempted by Media Monkey as I don't really have a need for it... but there is always a *bit* of temptation for me where software is concerned...

Hope you enjoy the new software, tslim  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 05:39 AM »
I got curious about MediaMonkey, but cannot reach www.mediamonkey.com/ (time-out), and haven't been able to for several days! Please  test if this is my local or a general problem?
  :tellme:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 05:40 AM »
Curt: I can go to mediamonkey (the site has changed, btw :) ).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 06:23 AM »
- very strange! I have added http://www.mediamonkey.com/ to trusted, closed my firewall and anti-spyware, tried both IE7 and Firefox 2 - but all to no avail.  :-\  :(  :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Sounds like a DNS problem on your ISP's nameservers. They may have an outdated or missing record.

SamSpade.org gives mediamonkey.com an IP address of 209.200.15.117

Try entering the IP address instead of the URL and see if that connects.

BTW: tracert confirms the website both ways on my ISP (i.e AT&T):

tracert.gif

You might also have something cached that is screwing things up. You can fix that by using Windows' repair option on your network connection.  Alternatively, you could do it from a command prompt by flushing your arp and dns caches.

The command to flush the ARP cache is: netsh interface ip delete arpcache

The command to flush the DNS cache is: ipconfig /flushdns.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:57 PM by 40hz »

city_zen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 05:14 PM »
Please  test if this is my local or a general problem?

A little off-topic, but I can't avoid mentioning a useful site for this kind of situation: Down for everyone or just me?
I'll have what she's having
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:24 PM by city_zen »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 09:18 PM »
A little off-topic, but I can't avoid mentioning a useful site for this kind of situation: Down for everyone or just me?

- not off but on topic (my (off) topic, that is)! I knew such a site was around but couldn't remember the name. Thanks!

... Try entering the IP address instead of the URL and see if that connects.
.... Alternatively, you could do it from a command prompt by flushing your arp and dns caches.

I tried both solutions, but nothing helped!!! Edited: I tried both 209.200.15.117 and 209.200.50.117

I still miss to ask Windows to fix the problem, because I cannot remember where / how to!   :-[
:tellme:

- but right now it is totally late at night here, so I am off to sweet dreams.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:46 AM by Curt »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 11:22 PM »
@Curt:
To repair a network connection, see the highlighted menu option in the picture.
Yes I know, running a Dutch version of Windows is not that helpful, but the location of this option will not differ from your (localized) Windows version.

Clipboard01.png

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 05:10 AM »
Thank you, Shades.
Reading Dutch is almost easy for someone from Jutland, the western part of Denmark where I am from. Draadloze = Traadloese (trådløse), for an example. We often joke that the written Ducth is a mix of German and Juttish :-) However, in no way does this apply to the spoken Dutch!  :o

:(  Nothing has improved!
I am not aware that I have any problems on the Internet, regarding connections, except for this media monkey. One thing I am sure about, now, is that the error must be on my supplier's side, not on mine. But it is a very big company ("You are now number seventeen in the queue"), they may not react if I say I am unable to establish contact with some monkey...

Edited:
I can confirm that http://downforeveryo....com/mediamonkey.com said "It's just you"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:59 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:38 AM »
The mystery is growing. My supplier (YouSee.dk) told me that the monkey is working okay on their side, and we tried a number of solutions, we even resat my IP address. Nothing helped. I may give up - No media monkey for me!
 :wallbash:

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 07:50 AM »
The mystery is growing. My supplier (YouSee.dk) told me that the monkey is working okay on their side, and we tried a number of solutions, we even resat my IP address. Nothing helped. I may give up - No media monkey for me!
 :wallbash:

Try using OpenDNS. Been using it for around a year now, and it's reliable and fast. Of course, that won't help you if you can't even ping the MM server (209.200.50.117). In that case, I've mirrored the latest build for you right here so that you'll at least be able to install and use it :)
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 08:19 AM »
- very interesting solution, Dirhael!  :up: But I can't help wondering what will happen if someone gets mad at OpenDNS and tries to block them. Will such an attack have any influence in my end of the line?

Big THANK YOU for the file,  :Thmbsup: installing as we speak, ehh... as I am typing this :-)

Edited:
Should also mention that I cannot even reach the monkey via Thunderbird & Thunderbrowse!

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 09:26 AM »
- very interesting solution, Dirhael!  :up: But I can't help wondering what will happen if someone gets mad at OpenDNS and tries to block them. Will such an attack have any influence in my end of the line?

Big THANK YOU for the file,  :Thmbsup: installing as we speak, ehh... as I am typing this :-)

Edited:
Should also mention that I cannot even reach the monkey via Thunderbird & Thunderbrowse!

No problem at all, just happy to help out :)

As for the blocking...well, not really unless it's your ISP that does it [the blocking] (they won't). That said, if you're happy with your ISP's DNS servers and don't want or need the extra security provided by OpenDNS you could get by using another solutions if it's just a matter of a single domain or two that fails to resolve. This solution would be to edit your hosts file and add the IP and domain of the server you're trying to reach. The drawback of this is that if the website ever changes their IP you'll be right back where you started, but as a short-term solution it would work.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 10:10 AM »
As for the blocking...well, not really unless it's your ISP that does it [the blocking] (they won't). That said, if you're happy with your ISP's DNS servers and don't want or need the extra security provided by OpenDNS you could get by using another solutions if it's just a matter of a single domain or two that fails to resolve. This solution would be to edit your hosts file and add the IP and domain of the server you're trying to reach. The drawback of this is that if the website ever changes their IP you'll be right back where you started, but as a short-term solution it would work.

OPenDNS!!! Good suggestion Dirhael! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Alternatively, you could specify OpenDNS as your primary DNS server, and use your ISP's server as your secondary. That way, anything that can't get resolved by your primary DNS choice will get resolved by your secondary.

That is what I do. I have to do this because my ISP (AT&T) has certain diagnostic and customer service links on its network that are resolved by its own DNS servers and apparently are not shared with the rest of the world. No AT&T DNS server - no connection to those links.

Love it. >:(