topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox Tweak Guide -- Is there a way to customize keyboard shortcuts?  (Read 16354 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking back at this Firefox Tweakguides topic by mouser (nod to dk70, btw) got me thinking: Is there a way to customize keyboard shortcuts in Firefox?

firefox_tweak1.jpg

I haven't finished studying the entire Firefox Tweak Guide, but surely there's an extension available? Gratis.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
Firefox has been missing a proper keyboard customisation interface since forever, the reasons being the technical mess of where bindings are found. There is a Bugzilla bug if you want to follow the ins-and-outs:

https://bugzilla.moz...how_bug.cgi?id=57805
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree, there should be a decent way to change key bindings in ff.
I think the day they really fix it is the day I'll move from Opera to ff (unfortunatelly, I don't see that day coming anytime soon!).
Also, alowing a mouse configuration like Opera would be really cool, it makes a huge difference!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks sri. I'm a keyboard shortcut nut and of all the programs you use, your file manager and browser ought to allow you to change the keys to the way you work. Opera has long done that and it has kept me there. But I'm wanting to master FF3 now that it's out.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
There is a difference in philosophy of Firefox and Opera. Opera tries to include a lot of features in one package by default whereas in Firefox, the user should install the features that he is interested in by way of add-ons.

Hence, modifiable keyboard shortcuts are not provided by default in Firefox and I don't think lack of them should be termed as a bug. I have set the following keyboard shortcuts in Firefox:

a - Switch to previous tab
s - Switch to next tab
z - Go back
x - Go forward
c - Close current tab
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think this is even a better approach. Wow!

The modularity of Firefox is a big attraction for many. I forgot the personal organizer program that for the longest time allowed you to buy the base, and then buy additional modules as you needed them. I only ever needed one other element, so it was always far cheaper than what would have been the full/premium version. I thought it was brilliant for that type of software, but I don't think the guy made a lot of money from it.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
funny,
I've been using FF for what seems like years now, but only today have I really followed up on 'where's the option to change the shortcuts'.
I was using Opera again lately and had gotten used to Ctrl+Z re-opening last closed tab. Nice and easy. In FF it's Ctrl+Alt+T . . or, wait a minute, is it Ctrl+Shift+T :-\ - one of them duplicates current tab, the other does what I'm looking for but I'm damned if I can ever remember which one does which . .
anyways,
I've just installed Sri's first two suggestions so hopefully that'll sort me out :)
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
since you've already installed keyconfig, you can change it to any hotkey you want, even Ctrl+Z as in Opera.. :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
since you've already installed keyconfig, you can change it to any hotkey you want, even Ctrl+Z as in Opera.. :up:
yes,
I still had to restart to finish install when I last posted.
It said Ctrl+Z mightnt work due to it being used by Edit>Undo but it seems to work okay for both functions now :)

I'm not sure what the 'functions for keyconfig' does but I dont seem to  need it anyway - actually I think it may simply be a 'sleeping' add-on that enhances the other one.

Looking forward to changing a few more shortcuts, thanks!
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not sure what the 'functions for keyconfig' does but I dont seem to  need it anyway - actually I think it may simply be a 'sleeping' add-on that enhances the other one.

it complements keyconfig by adding some more actions to bind with hotkeys but i don't use it due to the fact that then i have to keep track of two extensions for the same function.. ;)