ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Opinions on Netflix?

<< < (3/6) > >>

J-Mac:
Great and balanced report Qwerty  :up:
Agree with almost all of what you say.
-mouser (August 28, 2008, 10:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite deserving of some Credits!  8)

And maybe a relocation of that post to the Mini-Review section?

Jim

zridling:
TheQwerty, I hope you've shared your data and results with Netflix! They'd appreciate such detailed feedback.

TheQwerty:
I'm glad you found that helpful, but I was just trying to avoid working today.  :P

TheQwerty, I hope you've shared your data and results with Netflix! They'd appreciate such detailed feedback.
-zridling (August 28, 2008, 04:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
They did send a survey out to get my opinion on the Roku, and I believe I made most of the same comments then.  Though, I have been meaning to contact them again to let them now how much I appreciate the way they handled themselves with the outage, and that would be a good opportunity to make suggestions again.

Now that I'm home, I've updated the stats, and am trying to figure out where I got 9.87 from.   :-[

One other small issue: without the due dates, and because the monthly charge becomes a bit transparent (like most subscription services), you tend to forget that the DVD that is collecting dust near the player because you just haven't been in the mood to watch it, is wasting away your monies and could be wanted by others.  Newsweek has dubbed this Netflix Guilt.  I really ought to watch American Gangster this weekend.

J-Mac:
J-mac, the calculator says that the 3 movies at a time plan is your best value, and here's why. Get AnyDVD and CloneDVD and just copy the movies to your HD or to a disc, then watch them at your leisure. I've done that for years and now have over 1400 movies, series, documentaries, fantastic foreign films, Trailer Park Boys, music, all kinds of things I would have never watched, given the time. I have not, however, tried watching a film online.

I've never had a problem with Netflix. Some weeks their delivery seems slow, but then they make up for it the next couple of weeks. And as mouser mentioned, one of its coolest features is that Netflix allows you to suspend your account for up to 3 months each year. During this time of year, I don't have the time to watch movies, so I put my account on hold. I can still add movies to my queue and so on, but I'm not being charged during that time. Pretty cool.
-zridling (August 28, 2008, 07:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Zaine,

I don't know how I missed your post - and you have me laughing here! 1400?!? Wow - that's a LOT. You must have more time on your hands than me - and I have a lot, stuck at home forever now.

As for AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I have had both since shortly after they were initially released; 2002 or 2003, I think. I actually haven't copied many rental DVDs or anything, but I do copy all of my own DVDs and CDs. Lost more than a few in DVD players gone bad and that will never happen again!

Your plan does sound interesting, though, especially since Netflix allows you to keep DVDs as long as you want, so you're not really doing much different there.

I'd love to place all DVDs on my hard drive, but up to now all I can do with the ones on my HDD is either burn them later or watch them on the computer. I have been looking for a decent way to be able to stream DVDs from my network to our TVs, but there are so few devices that can do that, none are inexpensive at all - quite the contrary, and the streaming part is at best unreliable and not very high in quality, from all that I have read. If anyone has found a good way to do this, I'd appreciate some advice!

Thanks for the assist!

Jim

Deozaan:
I used the Netflix trial for a month and was planning continue my subscription but I moved back to my hometown rather suddenly and am currently living with my parents, who already have Netflix, while I'm on the waiting list for apartments near the university here.

You should be warned that our productivity nearly dropped to zero during our trial period because we were getting so many movies and we were able to watch a lot of streaming movies. The selection of Watch Now isn't that great but if you're someone who doesn't often go to the cinema or rent a lot of movies (or watch TV) like I am then you probably have a lot of "catching up" to do. Also, my wife is a foreigner and hasn't grown up with all the movies I've seen throughout my life and loved, so most of the movies older than just a few years she's never seen.

Anyway, like I said, we were watching so many movies and TV shows that we didn't accomplish much during our trial period. My biggest complaints about the Netflix service have to do with the website, but perhaps I should mention that I don't have any method of streaming the videos to my TV so I can't share any opinion regarding that.

My biggest complaint about the service is that there was no way for me to say "Never show me a movie of this kind." In other words, I wish there were better filters for browsing through the available titles. For example, there was no way to completely remove the gay and lesbian films from the selection, or filter out movies based on their rating (my wife and I don't watch movies that are rated R). The lack of these filters or "parental controls" is very peculiar, considering almost any device these days that plays video (including TVs themselves!) have parental controls to block or filter what is shown based on content such as violence, language, sexual content, rating, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version