topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: technical writer for FARR Remember The Milk Plugin help file  (Read 8934 times)

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm working on a Remember the Milk plugin for FARR. Remember The Milk is a popular web based task list service. I'm looking for someone to write a help file for that plugin. The help file should be something that can be displayed in a Web Browser (HTML, TiddlyWiki etc.), so it can be displayed right in the new FARR web browser view as well as in an external browser.

I can't offer any money, but I will share donations (if I should get any) with whoever writes the help file and with the guy making the icons, i.e. Hamradio ;). I also hope to create the most amazing FARR plugin the FARR community has seen until today (well, you have to set yourself some goals), and you can be a part of it!

You don't necessarily have to be a professional technical writer. I'm just looking for someone who enjoys technical writing. Being a Remember The Milk user would certainly help, but is not a requirement, it's only a task list application after all.

To get an impression of what the plugin will be like, have a look at this demo video: http://farrrmilk.obj...y.com/FarrRmilk2.avi
(it's about a 6 MB download). Please note that the icons are not the ones designed by Hamradio! I made the ones on the video and yes, they are ugly.

I'll be away the next three weeks and won't be able to read the forum, but I will be able to read and write email (I hope). If you're interested, please send me a private message with your email address so I can send you more details. Note that asking for details is no commitment to take over the job yet ;)

Cheers
Philipp
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 02:50 PM by phitsc »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And another demo video before my absence to make the 'FARR and RTM' users a bit more excited (well, maybe).

It shows:
- the three modes of operation: beginner (via menu), verbose (for people who like it prose, that would be me) and power user (with abbreviations).
- adding tasks to lists right when adding a task (with list substring matching)
- changing task properties when adding tasks (with verbose parameters or with switches)
- changing the default sort order (which can be set in the options dialog) with parameters or switches
- filtering tasks by list or by priority

It's about 8.5 megs (3 minutes) and can be downloaded from here: http://farrrmilk.obj...y.com/FarrRmilk3.avi
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 04:23 PM by phitsc »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
insanely cool.  :greenclp:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great idea!

EDIT: I was so excited, I posted before I finished typing my post  :-[
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:51 PM by Darwin »

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: technical writer for FARR Remember The Milk Plugin help file
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50 AM »
Looks like I have some spare time during my holidays when I'm not hanging around at the beach playing with my kid, which I now spend writing a help file. But one thing's for sure: that help file will suck!

In other words: the position is still available! :)

edited: How I wrote that it sounded like I'm not enjoying hanging around at the beach playing with my kid. And while I don't enjoy hanging around at the beach that much, I very much enjoy playing with my kid. Certainly much more than writing that help file  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:49 AM by phitsc »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:54 AM »
i am available to help proofread and do minor edits, just mail me anything you want checked ([email protected]).

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 07:56 AM »
Thanks for offering your help mouser. I doubt though that it would be appreciated if I take some of your time for proofreading my help file, while you could work on more important stuff during that time. On the other hand, you can obviously use your time however you like :)

Here's an excerpt from the help file, the list of what you can and can't currently do with the plugin:

What you can do with FarrRmilk

* View your tasks
    * Filter your tasks by task name, by list, by tag, by priority and by due date
    * Sort your tasks by task name, by priority, by due date, by date added, by date completed and by URL
    * Add new tasks
    * Delete tasks
    * Complete / Uncomplete tasks
    * Move tasks from one list to another
    * Postpone tasks
    * Change a task's properties, including its name, priority, due date, recurrence, time estimate, tags, location and URL
    * Add, edit and delete task notes
    * View your lists
    * Add new lists
    * Delete lists
    * Archive / Unarchive lists
    * View your tags
    * View tasks of your smart lists (with limitations! read About Smart Lists further down)

What you can't do with FarrRmilk

* Share tasks (missing in the RTM API)
    * Send tasks (missing in the RTM API)
    * Manage contacts and groups (although the RTM API would allow this, I feel it doesn't make much sense without task sharing or sending functionality).
    * Manage locations
    * Create smart lists
    * Modify more than one task at the same time
    * FarrRmilk currently doesn't support languages other than English
    * probably more...

I'll make a first release available for testing as soon as the icons are ready.