ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?

<< < (4/9) > >>

Armando:
I agree.

And I'd probably go further and say that even for Quark or Video editing, it probably doesn't matter much (or at all) whether you're using a mac or a PC.

[edit]Some "Mac writers" will swear by Scrivener and say that there's no PC equivalent... I couldn't say![/edit]

(If you use Sonar for audio, your audio needs are probably a bit more complex (and $$$) than mine... ;) )

Darwin:
Yeah... I've never really understood the received wisdom that graphics and video editing is better on a Mac. I mean, I understand the source of the "myth" but over the past 7 or 8 years (or more) as far as I know/can tell, it hasn't applied. Having said that, I think that 40hz point was more that the software that is available for the Mac platform for graphics and video manipulation is as good as that available for Windows...

Carol Haynes:
At a professional level the graphics and publishing software available for Macs and PCs are almost identical (given that Adobe has pretty much cornered the market on professional level products).

There are different choices for video and sound but the professional tools available on both platforms are very good. ProTools on the Mac probably has the edge but only if you want to have a pure recording studio setup  and don't use the computer for anything else. Even so there is probably much greater choice on a PC even at professional level when you take into account the purely PC manufacturers producing video and audio equipment and software.

Years ago the complaint was levelled that Windows was not truly WYSIWYG for publishing - but that complaint really died with the introduction of TrueType Fonts.

zridling:
Once again, this shows the real issue isn't the underlying OS, it's How can we collaborate among them?

However, of the big three, Apple is the most restrictive. I'd rather take a bullet in the knee than suffer the consequences of vendor lock-in. It's 2008 and I want control of MY data. Anyone or any company that seeks to lock me in and lock others out makes me walk. Still, if your company is forcing you to eventually use a Mac, then make a deal for them to provide conversion software for your home systems when you have to work there.

Darwin:
Still, if your company is forcing you to eventually use a Mac, then make a deal for them to provide conversion software for your home systems when you have to work there.
-zridling (August 28, 2008, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great advice - wish I'd thought of that  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version