ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?

<< < (2/9) > >>

f0dder:
If I had to swap my machine - no way in hell.

If I was offered a reasonably mac, for free, with the catch that I had to use it exclusively at work, I might do it. It'd kinda make sense if I ended up working at a mac shop. But I don't think I'd ever switch exclusively to mac, I just feel too much at home with Windows.

40hz:
@40hz: yes, this is at work. Which could be a problem since at home I wouldn't have a mac and synch'ing could be painful (it already is within the same OS).
--- End quote ---

I suspected as much.

Posted by: Darwin
I don't like the provision about having to swap your machine... Why do you have to give it up? I suppose the answer is that it will be re-allocated to someone in a group that isn't Mac-biased? Anyway, given what can be done with Parallels and BootCamp, I'd go for it, if it will make life easier at work (and hey, you get to add knowledge of another OS to your repetoire).

Dormouse does make some good points though... However, given that (I think) you *could* triple boot OSX, Linux, and XP if you wished, for the most part I don't see a problem WRT hardware.

So, er, verbose way of saying I'd go for it!
--- End quote ---

D'accord. All other factors being equal, I'd have to go with Darwin. I especially agree with the observation that adding another OS to your repertoire could be beneficial to your career. Never miss out on a chance to learn something new. Especially if somebody else is willing to foot the bill. ;)

The only problem I can see would be if: (a) you are doing development work; (b) are already very productive with your current programming environment; and (c) you will be facing serious deadlines. If this is the case, I'd point that out to them. Maybe that would get you a Mac and still let you keep your old setup.

I'd look at it this way. Macs are expensive. The simple fact they're offering to  get you one and give someone else your hand-me-down tells you something.

Darwin:
I'd look at it this way. Macs are expensive. The simple fact they're offering to  get you one and give someone else your hand-me-down tells you something.-40hz (August 27, 2008, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome! I hadn't thought of it that way - good point  :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
I wouldn't. Simply put, there's no decent software that I want to use that will run on a Mac.

But then again to be fair, Visual Studio is important to me. Nothing really comes close to it on a Mac.

If there were more decent software for OSX, then it would be a different story. But everything I've ever used on a Mac has always been dumbed down crap with no level of sophistication. That was a while ago though, and things have likely improved. I'd need a really good text editor -- that's 200% necessary. Editplus is what I use now, and there would have to be some equivalent for the Mac. BBEdit? Dunno. But good regular expressions are 500% necessary for a text editor for me. That's he first thing I look at.

Now, if it were a high-end Mac and I could run Vista on it and Visual Studio, then yes. I'd make the switch. But only for a high-end machine that wouldn't slow me down. VMs are painful to use unless you've got a machine with some serious horse power in it.

Lashiec:
If it's a laptop, then yeah, no reason against swapping.

If it's a desktop Mac, no way in hell. Not only for the fact that desktop Macs rarely have a decent graphics card, but also that I would be swapping a home-assembled PC by a pre-assembled one, and I prefer to build and tinker with the innards of the system myself, and not having some corporation behind telling me "this will void your warranty".

I'd need a really good text editor -- that's 200% necessary. Editplus is what I use now, and there would have to be some equivalent for the Mac. BBEdit? Dunno. But good regular expressions are 500% necessary for a text editor for me. That's he first thing I look at.
-Renegade (August 28, 2008, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

TextMate, maybe?

3. Apple has been consistently (well, reasonably consistently) successful with Steve Jobs and consistently unsuccessful without him. There will be a limit to how much longer he will drive Apple forward, and then what will happen?
-Dormouse (August 27, 2008, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

It will probably keep going forward, the Apple of today is a quite different animal of the 80s Apple, and they have enough provisions and business lines to survive without Steve Jobs, while back then they were a one-trick pony. Besides, they already did quite well without Steve Jobs for a time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version