ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?

<< < (6/9) > >>

app103:
Let's see...

A PC that can run Linux (and XP in vmware).

vs.

A Mac that can run Linux (with XP in vmware)...that can dual boot to OSX.

In your case, it doesn't seem like that much of a loss (and more of a gain), considering it would be for work and you aren't paying for it or any of the software that would end up needing to be purchased for it, and if anything goes wrong with the hardware in it, your employer would be picking up the tab to fix/replace it.

As long as it's a high end machine that can handle running what you have now, and OSX, it sounds like a pretty good deal. You will still be able to be productive in the OS of your choice, if you need to switch things around a bit to meet a deadline. If OSX is slowing you down, you can boot up Linux and work there, or XP in vmware like you do now.

As far as software is concerned, you wouldn't be limited to only Mac software in your case, since you would also still be able to use anything you currently do on Linux and XP. So software isn't really an issue as long as whatever you are doing is in some standardized format that has software that can access the data cross-platform.

Since it is work, it's also likely you wouldn't be responsible for any headaches with networking...that is likely to be someone else's responsibility to get working properly. Plus if it did end up being your responsibility, you got those mac-heads you will be working with that should be good for something...don't forget that.

But if it was swapping a pc that YOU own, for a mac, and using it at home and being responsible for any repairs/replacements...and the cost of software...I wouldn't do it. (lots of reasons already expressed by others)

Even in my case, where I would be swapping an 11 year old hunk of junk for a brand new Mac, I don't think I could do it. I have a sentimental attachment to this old snail. I don't think I could trade it for anything. I'd have to be allowed to keep it, even if I had to retire it permanently.

Carol Haynes:
I think what I was trying to say (obviously not too well) was that you need to take into consideration what happens once your file leaves your desktop and goes out to a 4-color printshop, professional CD mastering studio, or design agency.

--- End quote ---

It depends on the software - if you submit Adobe files (which is what most print shops want) as far as I can tell they are identical on both systems. You just need to specify the colour profile used to get the best colour matching.

Let's see...

A PC that can run Linux (and XP in vmware).

vs.

A Mac that can run Linux (with XP in vmware)...that can dual boot to OSX.

In your case, it doesn't seem like that much of a loss (and more of a gain), considering it would be for work and you aren't paying for it or any of the software that would end up needing to be purchased for it, and if anything goes wrong with the hardware in it, your employer would be picking up the tab to fix/replace it.

As long as it's a high end machine that can handle running what you have now, and OSX, it sounds like a pretty good deal. You will still be able to be productive in the OS of your choice, if you need to switch things around a bit to meet a deadline. If OSX is slowing you down, you can boot up Linux and work there, or XP in vmware like you do now.

As far as software is concerned, you wouldn't be limited to only Mac software in your case, since you would also still be able to use anything you currently do on Linux and XP. So software isn't really an issue as long as whatever you are doing is in some standardized format that has software that can access the data cross-platform.

Since it is work, it's also likely you wouldn't be responsible for any headaches with networking...that is likely to be someone else's responsibility to get working properly. Plus if it did end up being your responsibility, you got those mac-heads you will be working with that should be good for something...don't forget that.

But if it was swapping a pc that YOU own, for a mac, and using it at home and being responsible for any repairs/replacements...and the cost of software...I wouldn't do it. (lots of reasons already expressed by others)

Even in my case, where I would be swapping an 11 year old hunk of junk for a brand new Mac, I don't think I could do it. I have a sentimental attachment to this old snail. I don't think I could trade it for anything. I'd have to be allowed to keep it, even if I had to retire it permanently.
-app103 (August 29, 2008, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure about that. It is all very well to say that you can use XP/Vista/Linux in virtual machine (Parallels or whatever) but the experience of using any OS Is degraded to some extent in any of the virtual solutions because the emulated hardware support is at a pretty low level in all of them. If you expect to use Parallels on a Mac and use the normal USB hardware you had on a PC under  virtual Windows with the same drivers just forget it - at best USB support is shonky and netowrk support is not totally great either. (Same goes for VMWare on a Linux box).

At best virtual machines are a great way to use software occasionally that is restricted to an OS that won't run natively or just for testing purposes. Don't expect virtual machines to be robust (or quick) enough for serious production work. If you are wanting to use multiple OSes on a Mac and spend any time with Windows or Linux for serious work you need a multiple boot setup so that you can use proper versions with real hardware.

The one OS that runs better in virtual devices is Linux because it doesn't have the hardware compatibility issues that plague most people trying to get Linux up and running for the first time on a machine that isn't specifically built to work with Linux. You can even use unsupported devices such as printers by resorting to network print via the host OS.

urlwolf:
Great post Carol.
I agree. using andlinux (great virtualization solution) bypassed all the hardware problems on my laptop.

app103:
Not sure about that. It is all very well to say that you can use XP/Vista/Linux in virtual machine (Parallels or whatever) but the experience of using any OS Is degraded to some extent in any of the virtual solutions because the emulated hardware support is at a pretty low level in all of them. If you expect to use Parallels on a Mac and use the normal USB hardware you had on a PC under  virtual Windows with the same drivers just forget it - at best USB support is shonky and netowrk support is not totally great either. (Same goes for VMWare on a Linux box).
-Carol Haynes (August 29, 2008, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, so what you are saying is that running XP in vmware when the host OS is Linux is NOT the same as running XP in vmware when the host OS is Linux?  :huh:

Stoic Joker:
If somebody offers you swapping your PC for a mac cold turkey: would you do it?
--- End quote ---

You mean after I stopped laughing? ...I'd quit.

While I do have an old Mac (PowerCenter 150 running OS9) here in my office, it's only here because it makes a great door stop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version