topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 11:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best way to sync programming projects?  (Read 21035 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Best way to sync programming projects?
« on: August 26, 2008, 09:08 PM »
A bit of a convoluted and somewhat idiotic system I have - and I need help! ;D

I am looking for a simple, REVERSIBLE (I make a lot of mistakes, with almost a GB of VB project backups) tool or system or something to let me sync multiple projects across multiple computers both automatically and manually (and FAST when manually - I plan to do it as I run out the door to school, and my personal motto "milliseconds count", could not be more true in the mornings).

Alright, here is my setup:
  • I have a desktop running Vista with Visual Studio Professional. This computer gets most of my "main" projects (SnapSuite, along with many of my other programs found in the Announced Software section) and it is ESSENTIAL that the data on it does not get corrupted by an error-plauged copy on another computer (I am error prone, hence the huge backup cache).
  • I have a laptop running XP with Visual Studio Professional as well. This computer I take to school, and I sync THIS laptop with TWO school computers every day manually. Everything on this is usually homework, so I need it on my desktop to finalize, and then back on the laptop the next day.
  • I have a "server" running XP. It is not used for anything but RARE gaming, research on BOINC and being a file server. This computer is for backups and file transfers - used every day, but if something related to programming goes upside down on this one, it isn't a big deal. All backups need to go here.

I need the same files on all 3 computers to be synchronized, I need to be able to say "do not copy this project" (checkbox or something), and I need an automatic (speed doesn't matter) and a FAST manual mode. Scheduled would be nice, but not needed.

l don't know if there is such a program; if there is, shareware is fine (it is pretty specific needs that I have). If there isn't, maybe someone in the coding snacks area could make something? I don't have any cash on hand right now, but in a couple weeks I should, so if someone made something for this, I can donate credits to you.

-Brandon

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best way to sync programming projects?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:26 PM »
Try Powerfolder. It is little expensive if you need more than couple gb but I think it is worth. I was using it before they put a high price tag. I also do not like any subscription based software models that is why I would not buy it. But the software itself is very neat and easy to use.

http://www.powerfolder.com/

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:43 PM »
How about a SVN server on your desktop (or designated PC)?

You can synchronize multiple systems with that and you can connect through the net to create a link to your home repository.

Best of all, it's totally free and very easy to setup! (It took me 20 minutes to download, install, configure and upload a 30Mb web project (a few thousand small files) on a P4 machine with XP SP2. And I can tell you that most of that time was spent downloading. With a fast internet connection you can easily shave 10 till 15 minutes from my time.

VisualSVN is the name of the server software, and for the client you can use either: RapidSVN or TortoiseSVN. Nowadays you can use SVN also in file-based mode (same as CVS) or the default database mode. When you are error prone, go for the file-based mode. Then you can always retrieve anything.

Another bonus is that you also learn some discipline about how to handle projects as well... ;)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Taken from the website:
Over 300.000 users already trust PowerFolder. When do you join? Try it for free.

Share and sync unlimited! PowerFolder does not limit the amount of data or the number of files. Also feel free to invite unlimited number of friends!

After the trial period prices start as low as only 1 USD per computer per month.

This amount of money ($12 US/yearly) shouldn't break the bank... :)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:20 PM »
powerfolder 1 year subscription is 54$.
I have used it for over 3 years, nice application. It has all the features you are asking for. Best thing is that it is very easy to setup and works based on subscription and invitation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:22 PM by kartal »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:09 PM »
Since you're saying programming projects, forget about the regular sync software. You need source/version control. It's the only way to fly, really!

subversion is probably the best way to go atm, it has a lot of momentum and support, on multiple operating systems, and it's old enough to be pretty stable. You can install a "svnserve" daemon on your XP "server", and then do regular commits from your client machine.

It's only slightly bothersome to do the initial setup, and then it takes a bit of work getting into the "mindset" of using version control, but it's extremely worthwhile.
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 06:53 PM »
I found Windows Live FolderShare, but it is more or less a pain in the behind than it is worth. Plus, I can access my entire documents folder on ONE XP computer, but NOT the other? Wtf?

Subversion looks pretty simple, I am giving it a shot now. :)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Subversion looks pretty simple, I am giving it a shot now. :)
And don't give up if it feels a bit bothersome - the time invested in getting your head around source control is well spent! :Thmbsup:
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I tried. I actually put down time to do it- no distractions, no games, nothing. I gave it a shot last night before bed, and had issues all around following several tutorials. Things that needed to be activated never showed an option to do so, preferences file code had errors, Apache wouldn't run correctly... a slew of bad happenings. I got all excited, and the process seemed logical, and then it was all downhill from there. :(

I'm still stuck now. I put a hard drive from a friend's wrecked Dell PC into the "server" and formatted it, and the root of the drive is read/writable over the network by Window's built in File Sharing, but I already had that on C...

I also gave an AHK script a try, just to kind of do it semi-automatically (copy to folder manually, AHK sees files, copies to server, other PC sees new files in server folder, copies to local disk, deletes from server), and that didn't work. I need to brush up on my AHK as is, but that gave me heck too. Refused to copy a file. ONE file. A plain text file! I can not win.

Is there anything user stupid out there? At this point Window's File Sharing is still the fastest and easiest method. That's a first for something in Windows being the easiest thing I can find (that works)...

(I said I was error prone :P)

-Brandon

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Why don't you use VNC or Remote Desktop to access your home PCs from your laptop? I think it's more convenient, faster and easier than sync in a rush every morning :D. I know a few guys in college who use it, and they're pretty happy with the method. The only concern would be security, of course.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 07:44 PM »
I would, but I lost my school's hidden wireless SSID, and no longer have access there. I am in the process of brute-forcing back in (I know the letters, and a couple of the special characters, so there isn't a lot of combinations - plus it is NOT secured), but for the time being, I am sealed off from the outside world there.

(I had permission last year to be on the Wi-Fi, but a reformat caused the loss of the SSID that is (now) hidden).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 08:37 PM »
This message is written with the assumption that you work/develop on a Windows NT-based PC.

First, download all these freely available tools:
VisualSVN: http://www.visualsvn.com/server/ (server)
RapidSVN: http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/ (client as in separate application)
TortoiseSVN: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ (client as in explorer enhancement)
XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.de (completely configured web server environment)

Install all these tools using the default installation options.

XAMPP is only necessary when you want to have access to your own repository through the internet. On a "fresh" system XAMPP is very easy to install. The 7-zipped version only needs to be unpacked into a root folder to work. And if you want to unpack it somewhere else that is also no biggie. Running the supplied setup.bat script will adjust the necessary configuration files without intervention.

When done you should take a look at how to improve the security settings from Apache. XAMPP's main purpose is to create an easy to maintain web development environment for internal use (but let this not stop you in making it bulletproof).  

It took me 20 minutes (for real) to download all the suggested SVN software (XAMPP I already had laying around), install it and upload a project to the SVN server.

My first experience with source control was CVS and I can tell you that there is hate-hate relationship going on between me and that software. But my first encounter with SVN went without any hiccup. Which is the main reason why I recommended it to a fellow error-proner... :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 08:54 PM »
i use RapidSvn.. it's a big buggy but it does work and is useful if you are a GUI person.

TortoiseSVN works a lot better in many ways.. BUT I couldn't stand how it latched into my explorer shell, i wanted a standalone tool.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Have you tried SyncToy from MS? It is great to sync (with many options: sync one way, both ways, contribute, etc) between multiple computers. You can save sync configuration and selectively execute one or all. It is fast and free...

http://www.microsoft...7&displaylang=en
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44 PM »
This is probably not a very efficient way to do it, but I use FileHamster for "version control" and Groove (from Microsoft Office 2007) for synchronization.

But yeah, SVN is the best way to do it. I just haven't taken the time to learn how to wrap my head around it entirely so I'm not using it yet.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 12:39 AM »
Forget about apache etc., and use the "svnserve" daemon - much easier to configure, and lighter on resources. That also means you will use "svn://" repository URLs and not "http://" URLs.

svnserve.exe is part of the standard distribution at http://subversion.tigris.org , so you shouldn't really need other packages (though those might have zero-configuration etc).
- carpe noctem

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 12:59 AM »
I'll give it another go tomorrow after school, as I would love to make this old PC an actual server that I can access that isn't jury-rigged.

For the moment: FileHamster is running along (pun intended) doing its little backup thing. That only does one way files, but it does the backup portion of it - so if something goes upside down, at least I have an "official" backup system in place now.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 02:03 AM »
On the verge of passing out due to lack of sleep...

FileHamster totally screwed up my resx file, meaning that SnapSuite now has NO graphics... thank god I made a manual backup before! Not sure WHY, or HOW, but it did. :(

Haven't setup svn yet, at this point typing takes more energy than I really have.

21 days * 6 hours sleep per night = fail

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 03:13 AM »
Have you tried SyncToy from MS? It is great to sync (with many options: sync one way, both ways, contribute, etc) between multiple computers. You can save sync configuration and selectively execute one or all. It is fast and free...

I second the SyncToy suggestion. Works great and is very easy. And totally free ..

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 09:30 AM »
You can use syncback as well. It supports ftp.

They have free and commercial version. I use for backing up my data locally here.

http://www.2brightsparks.com

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 01:52 PM »
I have my dad's HP using SyncBack to backup sensitive data (taxes, documents, family photos, etc) and it works pretty good, but I'm not sure how I would go about having the other computer recognize that a change in the files occurred...

Downloading SyncToy now.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 10:15 AM »

I second the SyncToy suggestion. Works great and is very easy. And totally free ..

And version 2.0, just released is one the first application to use the powerful Microsoft Sync Framework:
http://www.microsoft...2&displaylang=en
https://www.donation....msg124492#msg124492
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 10:37 PM »
OOOO, new version. Thanks for the info! *Downloads away*

(FYI, for anyone curious, I found SyncToy (v1) to fit my needs quite well - it only does 2 folders, not 3, but I just sync one PC, then the other, and I'm good to go. It takes a while 10 seconds, and it makes my life WAY easier than before!)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 07:20 AM »
You still ought to get source/version control set up... it doesn't just give you "backups", but allow you to go back and pull out any individual commit/revision. After all, how much good is a backup if you accidentally messed up your code, and that file got backed up, overwriting the previous backup?
- carpe noctem

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 07:29 AM »
I agree with f0dder. You keep a complete history and snapshot of every version of your app you ever had using version control. yeah but if you're on windows i recommend http://www.visualsvn.com/server/ over doing it yourself. You run through one wizard and it's all set up and the options are clear.