ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Best way to sync programming projects?

(1/7) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
A bit of a convoluted and somewhat idiotic system I have - and I need help! ;D

I am looking for a simple, REVERSIBLE (I make a lot of mistakes, with almost a GB of VB project backups) tool or system or something to let me sync multiple projects across multiple computers both automatically and manually (and FAST when manually - I plan to do it as I run out the door to school, and my personal motto "milliseconds count", could not be more true in the mornings).

Alright, here is my setup:

* I have a desktop running Vista with Visual Studio Professional. This computer gets most of my "main" projects (SnapSuite, along with many of my other programs found in the Announced Software section) and it is ESSENTIAL that the data on it does not get corrupted by an error-plauged copy on another computer (I am error prone, hence the huge backup cache).
* I have a laptop running XP with Visual Studio Professional as well. This computer I take to school, and I sync THIS laptop with TWO school computers every day manually. Everything on this is usually homework, so I need it on my desktop to finalize, and then back on the laptop the next day.
* I have a "server" running XP. It is not used for anything but RARE gaming, research on BOINC and being a file server. This computer is for backups and file transfers - used every day, but if something related to programming goes upside down on this one, it isn't a big deal. All backups need to go here.
I need the same files on all 3 computers to be synchronized, I need to be able to say "do not copy this project" (checkbox or something), and I need an automatic (speed doesn't matter) and a FAST manual mode. Scheduled would be nice, but not needed.

l don't know if there is such a program; if there is, shareware is fine (it is pretty specific needs that I have). If there isn't, maybe someone in the coding snacks area could make something? I don't have any cash on hand right now, but in a couple weeks I should, so if someone made something for this, I can donate credits to you.

-Brandon

kartal:
Try Powerfolder. It is little expensive if you need more than couple gb but I think it is worth. I was using it before they put a high price tag. I also do not like any subscription based software models that is why I would not buy it. But the software itself is very neat and easy to use.

http://www.powerfolder.com/

Shades:
How about a SVN server on your desktop (or designated PC)?

You can synchronize multiple systems with that and you can connect through the net to create a link to your home repository.

Best of all, it's totally free and very easy to setup! (It took me 20 minutes to download, install, configure and upload a 30Mb web project (a few thousand small files) on a P4 machine with XP SP2. And I can tell you that most of that time was spent downloading. With a fast internet connection you can easily shave 10 till 15 minutes from my time.

VisualSVN is the name of the server software, and for the client you can use either: RapidSVN or TortoiseSVN. Nowadays you can use SVN also in file-based mode (same as CVS) or the default database mode. When you are error prone, go for the file-based mode. Then you can always retrieve anything.

Another bonus is that you also learn some discipline about how to handle projects as well... ;)

Shades:
Taken from the website:
Over 300.000 users already trust PowerFolder. When do you join? Try it for free.

Share and sync unlimited! PowerFolder does not limit the amount of data or the number of files. Also feel free to invite unlimited number of friends!

After the trial period prices start as low as only 1 USD per computer per month.

--- End quote ---

This amount of money ($12 US/yearly) shouldn't break the bank... :)

kartal:
powerfolder 1 year subscription is 54$.
I have used it for over 3 years, nice application. It has all the features you are asking for. Best thing is that it is very easy to setup and works based on subscription and invitation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version