ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Mozilla Ubiquity Prototype Available

<< < (3/5) > >>

nontroppo:
For those who don't know, this development is from Aza Raskin and Co, the writers of the windows launcher Enso:

http://humanized.com/

They got gobbled up by Mozzarila and this is the result; Enso in the browser. I think they can benefit from much richer metadata and thus context than normal lauchers can in the internet-interface space, but as Enso got sadly abandoned half-finished, lets see if they can do a better job this time.

Armando:
I don't care how good they think their product/service/whatever is - if they can't sound like a normal human being instead of a personal fitness trainer they've lost me before they've even begun.
-4wd (August 27, 2008, 01:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D

Do we have a name yet for these pretentious style presentations?-mouser (August 26, 2008, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok, let's see... cranio ? Any ideas ?

cranioscopical:
Powerpint?

tranglos:
The description is silly -- watch the video demo on that page to learn what it is..  after a few minutes they will get passed the "adding pictures to email" which i find kind of useless.. then they get to the part where they do basically what FARR and other keyboard launchers do.
-mouser (August 26, 2008, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

True, but I like how you can create functions, not just use one-word or one-line commands. One nifty thing springs to mind: every time I install a new FF release, I hunt through its .jar libs for a specific file containing a function that returns the filename used with "Save As". I want the saved file to use the title of the page or current selection instead of the original document filename (which is often 'index.php' or something similarly useless). So it's tedious to do it every time. Now it looks like I just might be able to do the same with Ubiquity, as long as it provides access to the DOM and FF's internal JS goodies (not sure about the former yet).

it's especially annoying given that 90% of what they are doing is what Find+Run Robot and other keyboard-based launchers do.. Of course it would kind of step on their narrative if they acknowledged that, so instead we are treated to a discussion of something that purports to be a totally new concept.
-mouser (August 26, 2008, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, but this is just classic product-launch thing. When MS delivered OneNote, didn't they sound like nobody had ever written notes on the computer before? Now the Mozilla folks have just discovered the commandline. Whatever! I just skip past that.

4wd:
Powerpint?
-cranioscopical (August 27, 2008, 09:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, that's what you get when you slip the barman an extra $1 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version