ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Delphi 2009 (And C++ Builder 2009) Released

<< < (2/2)

fenixproductions:
I can't find an info so I will ask here:
is it now possible to compile 64bit code or should we wait next few years?

Ehtyar:
Being proprietary may not have been the issue. After all, they now have moved to Unicode practically overnight.
I also wonder what Unicodeization of Delphi is going to do to performance. There's a number of incredibly fast string handling libraries for Delphi, but not for widestrings. Oh, and since Codegear must have had to overhaul all their RTL and VCL, wonder what new bugs will start cropping up there.
-tranglos (August 26, 2008, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
I can't imagine how years of ignorance becomes "overnight". At the very least it's taken them 2 years, given that their last release was 2 years ago.
New bugs in the runtimes? Goodness, people can barely keep up with the pre-existing ones, I hope they have a good internet updating mechanism :P

Ehtyar.

tranglos:
I can't imagine how years of ignorance becomes "overnight". At the very least it's taken them 2 years, given that their last release was 2 years ago.
-Ehtyar (August 26, 2008, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I meant "overnight" figuratively - from one version to another. People had been clamoring for Unicode support for years on Borland newsgroups. And native support certainly beats having to use third-party libraries, each with its own implementation of Unicode classes and conversions.

New bugs in the runtimes? Goodness, people can barely keep up with the pre-existing ones, I hope they have a good internet updating mechanism :P
-Ehtyar (August 26, 2008, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's been different with different releases. D6 was pretty tight, and I understand so is the 2007 version. Pre-2007 versions seem to have been plagued by IDE issues/crashes and overall slowness more than library bugs, at least that was my impression from reading the newsgroups.

wraith808:
It really depended on the release; it seemed that for a while each odd numbered release was good and even numbered releases were bad, though after patches, 6 was pretty decent.  I use 7 for my few independent projects, and have upgrades, but just haven't gotten into them since I pretty much only do win32 stuff in delphi... for .net, I see no reason not to use VS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version