topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 10:34 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What the hell is this -- charge me to remove crapware?  (Read 5884 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What the hell is this -- charge me to remove crapware?
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:54 AM »
newsetup0011.jpg

Setting up a new computer just the way you want it requires time and effort. Let firedog make your setup fast and easy. Just bring your computer to the firedog desk at any Circuit City. We'll update your Windows software, delete unwanted icons and programs, personalize your desktop, and create multiple user accounts that control access to your computer. Forget the worries, and skip the tiresome setup. With firedog's help, you'll be enjoying your new computer right away.

Here's the source. But it led me to think:
What, if anything should be loaded onto a new computer other than the operating system?

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What the hell is this -- charge me to remove crapware?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 06:10 AM »
They charge you to clean and optimize your Windows installation. A lot of people have problems with their installation and don't know anyone who can help them, so it's quote okay. I know some "PC Help" services which come to your house and charge more for an hour...

>What, if anything should be loaded onto a new computer other than the operating system?

PLENTY! :)

Here's freeware software I install + configure on each PC here at my workplace (won't list commercial ones like Office, DVD Player, Archiving utility, etc...):

Spoiler
Plenty of tweaks and configuration changes. Most of them get applied with my own XP installation CD (using nLite)
Newest drivers
IE7 + WMP 11
Offline Post-Service Pack
Microsoft Update + full update for Windows + Office + what else
CCleaner
TweakUI
Flash Player
Shockwave Player
Quicktime Alternative
Real Alternative
DivX Play (just the Codec, for all MPEG4)
Sun Java SE Runtime
VLC Media Player (no integration, only in context menu)
IrfanView + Plugins
Adobe Reader
PDF Creator
jkdefrag + full Defrag (sorting/organizing Startmenu while defragging)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:12 AM by wr975 »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:33 AM »
I still think a completely empty pc and the 3 disk system is best:

disk 1 = OS
disk 2 = drivers
disk 3 = optional crapware

That lets OEM's bundle whatever they want, but the end user doesn't have to install any of it, and if they chose to install it they can pick from a menu what they want and not have to install everything.

The end user will be happy.
The OEM will be happy.
The crapware makers will be happy.

>What, if anything should be loaded onto a new computer other than the operating system?

PLENTY! :)

Here's freeware software I install + configure on each PC here at my workplace (won't list commercial ones like Office, DVD Player, Archiving utility, etc...):

But should every pc that everyone buys come with all that preinstalled? What if the end user doesn't like your selection of software? They would end up having to remove it.

And what if the makers of that software don't want their stuff bundled and preinstalled on pc's?

Maybe all PC's should come with this bundle on CD. (but not preinstalled) ;)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 09:58 AM »
>the end user doesn't have to install any of it
>Maybe all PC's should come with this bundle on CD.

An experienced PC user formats his OEM installation and installs a blank OS. :)

The typical end user has no idea of what to install or not (Like "What is Acrobat Reader and why do I need it for PDF files?") I guess such users are quite happy if their Windows installation comes pre-configured with software and codecs which cover IMHO basic functionality any desktop installation needs. He/she just wants to click and it should work. If something's not working they'll just give up, complain, or try to install the software all alone (like Flash), and probably also install a toolbar or two and Google Desktop search while doing so.

To get my point, here're two examples of user experience level I consider as "typical end user":
a.) The Windows XP search assistant is annoying. Can it be disabled?
b.) If I open a avi file i just hear the music in Media Player, but see no video.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 03:55 PM »
The crapware makers will be happy.

I don't think so - I think that often they actually pay the OEM to get their crap in front of users as a form of advertising for more craptastic versions that the user might pay for.  They want to be on the system out of the box.

To get my point, here're two examples of user experience level I consider as "typical end user":
a.) The Windows XP search assistant is annoying. Can it be disabled?
b.) If I open a avi file i just hear the music in Media Player, but see no video.

I often find myself in situation "b".  I hate the whole Windows video architecture that puts codecs and codec installation front and center.  I don't know anything about video codecs, and I don't *want* to know anything about them.  I just want the damn video to play.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 08:23 PM by mwb1100 »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:56 PM »
[app103]: I still think a completely empty pc and the 3 disk system is best: disk 1 = OS; disk 2 = drivers; disk 3 = optional crapware

I think app's got this one right, along with Glyn Moody (no link, sorry):
The money the manufacturers gain from this kind of stuff is paid for by the negative value users perceive. I'd be willing to bet that a manufacturer that provides useful software instead may lose out in terms of kickbacks from the software houses but will ultimately gain in through sales to satisfied customers.