topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: Customizing the "Use Drag" button  (Read 11773 times)

paradoXmindset

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request: Customizing the "Use Drag" button
« on: August 24, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I just found GridMove, and I have to say I can't believe I have survived this long without it. I have a suggestion, but I have no idea how hard it would be, and I suspect that it may not be possible. However it never hurts to ask right?
Since some programs use the middle mouse to drag things, I was wondering if it would be possible to chose what button is used for the middle mouse drag method. I have a mouse that has a 4th button and it would be great if I could drag the windows using that button instead of the middle mouse button.
Whether this can be done or not, thanks for the great window management tool!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request: Customizing the "Use Drag" button
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:44 AM »
Hello and welcome to DC!
The truth is that this is possible, but I hadn't thought about it.
It makes sense, because using the middle button for this can be annoying.
I'll add it to the todo list, and meanwhile, you can just add the windows to the exceptions.

PS: gridmove includes exceptions for middle mouse button specifically, but those are hardcoded, so, if you could make me a small list of the windows that cause you trouble, I could include those in the next release.

paradoXmindset

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:32 PM »
PS: gridmove includes exceptions for middle mouse button specifically, but those are hardcoded, so, if you could make me a small list of the windows that cause you trouble, I could include those in the next release.

The main problem is with firefox (and also Internet Explorer although I don't use it). If I click and drag the middle mouse on a scrollable web page, the page scrolls until I release the middle button. This is handy for quick page position adjustments. In spite of this fact, I must ask that you don't add firefox or IE to the exceptions list as the ability to middle click and position the windows with GridView is even more handy.
I really appreciate you responding to my request, and even if my request is never incorporated, GridView is an excellent tool.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 02:50 PM »

The main problem is with firefox (and also Internet Explorer although I don't use it).
-paradoXmindset (August 28, 2008, 01:32 PM)
Actually, if that's the only problem, it's VERY solvable :P
Just click and release the middle button, the arrows come up and you can drag it, then click and release again to stop. At least, that's how it works in IE, not sure if firefox can do the same.

Notice that gridmove only comes up if you press the middle button and move the mouse (or if you keep it pressed for a while), exactly so that it doesn't affect the normal working of browsers. Notice how you can still click with the middle mouse button on a link in firefox to open it in a new tab ;)

paradoXmindset

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:32 PM »
I know that this is the case, and that is how I am currently operating. However I personally think it is faster/easier to click-drag then to click, drag, click. As I said before, its something I can live with...I just have a habit of click dragging, but in the big scheme of things whats one extra click? :D
The reason I even brought it up is because I know there are other programs that use middle mouse click-drag and I figured it would be kinda cool to choose what button could be used to snap to gridmove the windows.

....Also for some reason I keep calling the program GridView. :-[ sry bout that, I don't know why I keep saying that instead of GridMove :-\

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I figured it would be kinda cool to choose what button could be used to snap to gridmove the windows.
-paradoXmindset (August 28, 2008, 03:32 PM)
Yeah, it really is a good idea, and I can appreciate its usefulness.

....Also for some reason I keep calling the program GridView. :-[ sry bout that, I don't know why I keep saying that instead of GridMove :-\
-paradoXmindset (August 28, 2008, 03:32 PM)
Don't worry, GridView actually sounds way better than GridMove, I just wish you had come up with it one year ago :P

paradoXmindset

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I know this is an old post now, but I have been messing with AHK lately in an attempt to fix the middle click problem I mentioned before.
I worked around the problem by modifying the hotkey so that I have to hold ctrl and middle click.
I tried to make it so that I could middle click and right click at the same time to activate gridmove, but I could not make it work...I would lose the ability to click drag because using the & (example: hotkey, MButton & RButton, MButtonMove) completely takes control of the middle button. I was able to make it so that I could middle click, but I could not click drag (which was the point of making a two button hotkey in the first place) if any one has any ideas on how to work around this let me know:-\

I have been using gridmove for a while now, and it is one of the most useful programs I have! I am completely dependent. When I'm using a computer without it I get confused  :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:13 PM by paradoXmindset »