ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

<< < (8/9) > >>

Paul Keith:
It's easy enough with the "Computer Management" tool -- one of the Administrative Tools that comes with Windows (2000 and up). Just shrink the current volume and create a new one. While the process is non-destructive, I still back up my data each time I do this. Would be even easier (and safer) if you could get yourself another hard drive.

And I don't know what's a "profile page"? I back up the system and the various data partitions differently. Many applications (including Firefox) store their settings and data under the "Users" folder tree ("Documents and Settings" for older Windows) on C. I move them to drive D (my data partition) if I want them backed up.
--- End quote ---

Oh sorry, I meant the profile folder.

Can't compare with Opera since I don't use it anymore, but I wonder how it can be any harder. All user-specific stuff is in the profile folder. Just ignore the "cache" and copy everything else. (I put the cache on a RAMDrive, since I've more RAM than a Win32 system can use. This way the cache is wiped automatically every time I reboot the system.)

It gets more complicated if you want to pick and choose what to back up (I do), but I guess it's the same with other applications.
--- End quote ---

This is exactly my problem. See, in Firefox there's all this .js .bak .ini stuff which is manageable if there weren't all these other extension folders lying in there that makes me wonder if they're just safe enough to export.

Where in Opera, you have all these folders pointing where the mouse settings are and where the keyboard settings are, etc. etc. and there's only two formats to pay attention to .ini and .adr and they never change because Opera rarely has extensions. Of course, I did have problem with importing widgets but at least with Opera, I could ask in their forums while with Firefox I'm really dead in the water. It's really how I got to know these things in the first place, the forums were a great help in introducing me to all these things step by step.

Name them? Zotero & Scrapbook allow you to designate where they store the data (check the options) so that's easy. Wired-Marker doesn't provide that, so I use symlink (similar to folder junction in XP) to move the data folder.
--- End quote ---

Oh, I thought you have a special folder named to remind them of it's value. Windows Xp is just too messy compared to a Linux system and I really need special properties to remind me of which folder is which.

For example, I've absolutely never touched and knew what the My Documents folder was until I tried Linux and realize what that was for and I almost in general have to rely on my folders being seen in the desktop (Program Files exempting) to really discover them. It's nothing a good file manager can't fix but I didn't start with one and I don't understand many file managers. It wasn't really until I tried PCMan File Manager for Linux that I understood what favorites are for.

This is the real problem then. I back up my data more often and keep more copies than my system. You can always reinstall the system (time-consuming aside), but can't reinstall the data. There's no single best solution that works for everyone, for it all depends on your needs and the resources you have, but you should have a backup solution if you value your data.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, problem of my life since most of the tips revolve around syncing and I can never just figure those things out. Case in point, I was just testing this new Western Digital Passport HD and it came with a syncing program and I just end up deleting it because it has all these basic stuff that I really don't get. Example trying to sync outlook mails which I never ever used because I use webmail and then I didn't want it to sync Firefox and I could care less about IE and then the third check point was something else but it just confused me to give it up. I know there's better programs out there but it's the same thing. I really don't or can't get my head around being tied to a certain folder just because that's where I sync them.

Its website explains the syntax well. Usually it's enough to just type a couple of tags in the Awesomebar to get what I want, and for the most often used combinations I set them up on the bookmark toolbar with smart bookmarks (dynamic folders) I mentioned earlier.

Tagsifter is for more complicated searches. I use the "not" operator (the minus sign in the example) the most. E.g., it's easy enough with diigo (and FF) to find something tagged with "news" and "2008", but it's hard to find news "before 2008". With Tagsifter, "news - 2008" does it.

The "or" operation is also useful, like "news, (2007 + 2006)" will get me news clips from the two years.

You can't save Tagsifter searches as dynamic folders yet, though it's on the wishlist. As mentioned previously, I use FF's Smart Bookmark for dynamic folders, but it's not as flexible as Tagsifter.
--- End quote ---

Oh, I see. Thanks but that's just not for me. I could never really be comfortable with doing this as I've grown the habit of turning my notes into journal entries whenever I need to browse back. It's more time consuming but I just don't feel like I'm revaluing my entries when I don't follow that method.

Sorry to hear that, but I wasn't really talking about the forums. I mean the Firefox extension architecture is really reaping the rewards now with all these extensions filling the holes of the main product. "Tagging" was introduced with FF3, just released in June, and in the two plus months since we've got all these nice extensions to make up for its deficiencies and more, and they're still improving. (FF3 of course started beta much earlier, but the bookmark system wasn't finalized -- with several functions scrapped -- until late, and most of the tagging-related extensions didn't -- and probably couldn't -- start showing up on AMO earlier than that.)
--- End quote ---

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. Yeah, I could see how Firefox is moving faster if you're used to tags and Firefox allowed it.

housetier:
diigo has been mentioned before in this thread and now makeuseofus compares diigo to delicious, maybe it has one of the features we want.

however, I cannot check it properly atm, yet I didn't want this to go unnoticed.

Perhaps this assignment from the programming school will lead to a proper group bookmarking tool for us :-) (and zillarank rocks!)

waderen:
Looks like there is quite a discussion on Diigo here .  I am the founder of Diigo, so feel free to throw any requests and complaints at me  :)

mouser:
Glad to meet you Wade :up:

mouser:
As many have heard, Magnolia suffered major data loss recently and all of the work i've been doing bookmarking and tagging reviews of donationcoder stuff seem to have been lost. 

I generally avoid online services and use local applications for almost everything I do.. This is one of those few times when i didn't.  Bad mistake.

I'm not saying don't use online services for your data.. I'm saying don't trust them to preserve and safeguard your data.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version