topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool  (Read 31044 times)

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 06:32 PM »
Paul, thanks for the clarification. I didn't frequent their support forum, so your information should be more accurate than mine.

As to Wired Marker and Firefox 3's bookmarking system, I'll get back to you later. It's 7:30 in the morning here, and I've gone through a sleepless night working on a big paper. Now I desperately need some sleep. I'll be back in a few hours.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Thanks no rush mwang and appreciate the help.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2008, 01:50 PM »
I'm curious as to how you use Wired Marker

This one is easy. Wired-Marker enables you to highlight parts on web pages, similar to the highlight tool on diigo toolbar. Like diigo, the highlights you make are saved, so it's displayed automatically when you revisit a page. Better yet, when you retrieve a saved clip from Wired-Marker, it not only loads the page, but also jumps to the highlighted part for you. Diigo doesn't do that.

The data is saved locally, so it's not sync'ed across different computers, but I like the fact that it's not dependent on diigo being up and healthy. Wired-Marker saves its data in a folder structure, similar to Scrapbook, except Scrapbook shows you just the clip without context.

Perhaps easier to show you the difference in action, using one of your posts in this thread as an example, with the 1st paragraph selected, and clipped to Scrapbook and Wired-Marker respectively:
original.pngRequest for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

Here are how they look like when retrieved from Scrapbook (left) and Wired-Marker (right) respectively:
scrapbook.pngRequest for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Toolwiredmarker.pngRequest for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

Wired-Marker, ATM, still has some rough edges. It doesn't have a toolbar button, nor easy shortcuts. You have to make highlights through context menu. (I setup my own shortcut with the help of Powerpro, so it's not too big a deal here.) It also doesn't allow you to turn off highlights temporarily as diigo does. Hopefully it can be more user-friendly in the future.

In a perfect world, I would like Wired-Marker and Scrapbook integrated with FF's bookmark system, so the "page" is bookmarked (with the page's title as title) and highlighted parts on a submenu, under one unified folder structure and one search/filter system. But that probably won't happen anytime soon, if at all.

... I made a thread here asking for an offline version of Diigo and to be honest I don't really know much about Firefox 3's bookmarking system except it has tags which I don't really understand why it's a plus.

I'm afraid you lost me here. If you don't like tagging, why did you use diigo in the first place? I guess I misunderstand you, but I can't figure it out. English is my third language after all.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Hi, mwang. I was afraid of that but thanks for the detailed help.

The context menu doesn't bother me but here are several things that do which unfortunately from the way it sounds, Wired Marker doesn't provide:

-The cliff's notes view that Diigo has which saves time going to a site because you can have several sites and click expand on them. It would be nice if you can turn that Scrapbook view into a Wired Marker view at will without having to input a webpage on both of them but that still doesn't replace the ability to be able to view several bookmark contents in one page like a dashboard thus saving mouse clicks and tabs.

-The problem with having to deal with two different exports on two different locations. Yes, that can be fixed and learned but I once lost my Scrapbooks because I didn't quite understand how to back them up and because it was clunkier having to remember what applications I needed backing up since I'm not comfortable with using a syncing program and because I normally don't think contents from Firefox extensions when I'm thinking back-up so it's just too easy and too risky for me to use both as the main location for all my highlights. Also since Wired Marker is Firefox only, it really leaves me chained to that browser and sometimes when Firefox is slow for me I switch to another browser and just use the Diigolet. I wonder if the Foxmarks people would be willing to add Scrapbook and Wired Marker syncing to their features if someone suggested it... a black hole is still better than no hole.

Don't worry about your English, it's not my first language too. I used Diigo because it allowed me to import my blackhole delicious account which I'm trying to organize into Diigo and Diigo's lists and cliff's note view feature allowed me to better alleviate the tag hell than anything delicious does.

For clarification purposes, a black hole is basically an account with bookmarks with so many different tags and so many bookmarks that you end up not being able to check back on any of them unless you want a specific one so it just gets to a point where you add to it but you never get anything not recent out of it because you don't have a quantifying theme like a folder to contextualize what you want unless you specifically want something out of it. I just realize I wasn't sure if the term "black hole" is common enough but I've been using it for quite some time like it is.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 07:29 PM »
I would really love help finding more reviews of dc software and events, so please join and help me bookmark sites.

I had originally intended on doing that and signed up and joined the DC magnolia group and started adding the links I had already collected prior to this.

Then I started experiencing a strange problem that prevents me from continuing to use magnolia:

The magnolia site itself is very slow in my browser (which I understand) and after using it, ALL sites load & run slower unless I restart my browser, and if I don't and revisit the magnolia site again, it gets even slower (I don't understand this).

This is the first non-flash site I have come across that has this effect on my browser.

Being on 33.6k dialup with a slow pc, combined with this problem, it would take me all day to add a handful of links, restarting my browser after each one. It's more trouble, bother, and frustration than I am willing to go through.  :(

mouser, I am glad you are exploring other options.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47 PM »
Hmm...that's a good point. Maybe mouser should switch to Simpy for the slow network users?

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2008, 04:06 AM »
-The cliff's notes view that Diigo has which saves time going to a site because you can have several sites and click expand on them.

Yes, that's about the only thing I can't duplicate in Firefox right now, and that's why I said I hope it could be integrated with Firefox's bookmark system, in a way that I can look up a bookmark and see the highlighted parts in a submenu.

What I currently do is when I highlight something with Wired-Marker, I also bookmark the page and tag it with "wmark" (along with other tags). So at least now I could easily locate bookmarked pages with highlights, which is more than what diigo gave me (the "Annotated" tab often gave me nothing or no more than 3 bookmarks, while in fact I had a few dozen).

-The problem with having to deal with two different exports on two different locations.

This is easier to deal with. I've separate system and data partitions, and Firefox profile is on the data partition, which is backed up regularly. I also set Scrapbook, Zotero and Wired-Marker data folders away from the Firefox profile folder, into places where they're backed up more often than the FF profile folder tree, and made available for my search tool (Archivarius). (Though Archivarius doesn't search Wired-Marker or other sqlite db yet.)

Also since Wired Marker is Firefox only, it really leaves me chained to that browser and sometimes when Firefox is slow for me I switch to another browser and just use the Diigolet. I wonder if the Foxmarks people would be willing to add Scrapbook and Wired Marker syncing to their features if someone suggested it... a black hole is still better than no hole.

That's a good point. Though Firefox 3 is really fast on my desktop and I use it almost exclusively now, I really don't want to be tied to a particular product, either. For material related to my research, I always try to save the page locally first. (I set up proxomitron filters to help me get material on my favorite sources into shape.) But Firefox bookmarks, Scrapbook and Zotero all can export their databases, and Wired-Marker uses sqlite, a standard format. So I'm not too worried.

Still, I'm on the hunt for a better solution, as you do. If you stick to diigo, please let me know if they get improvements.

BTW, what good does it do if Foxmarks can sync Scrapbook and Wired-Marker databases? Can you use Foxmarks in browsers other than Firefox? If it's not cross-browser support but cross-computer support you're after, than there're other tools that let you sync the entire Firefox profile, I believe.

... a black hole is basically an account with bookmarks with so many different tags and so many bookmarks that you end up not being able to check back on any of them unless you want a specific one ...

Another good point, that's why I started moving my bookmarks to diigo in the first place; my firefox bookmarks were getting out of hand, and there were no tools to mass-tag them according to the folder structured then (there are now). Too bad that didn't work out for me.

Now with some good extensions, my black hole is getting in order. Tagsifter is my favorite; it allows me to filter bookmarks with something like

"tag1 - (tag2 + !tag3)"

Not possible with diigo or any other social bookmarking sites.

I also like FF3's smart bookmarks system. Though it's not very user friendly yet (some geeky tuning involved), it allows me to add dynamic folders to my bookmark toolbar. Diigo has lists, but lists are static, and it doesn't have tag bundles like delicious.

It's also easy to delete a tag from multiple bookmarks at once in Firefox -- another thing not possible with diigo.

So, on balance I like Firefox's bookmarking system (with extensions) better, and judging from what happened this summer, the speed of improvement clearly favors Firefox community as well. Diigo does keep moving, but the pace is slow.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 08:42 PM »
What I currently do is when I highlight something with Wired-Marker, I also bookmark the page and tag it with "wmark" (along with other tags). So at least now I could easily locate bookmarked pages with highlights, which is more than what diigo gave me (the "Annotated" tab often gave me nothing or no more than 3 bookmarks, while in fact I had a few dozen).

Yeah, I use a variation of this by only submitting bookmarks with highlighted pages to Diigo and then transferring my non-highlighted bookmarks to incollector. I find having a bookmark manager in my systray helps me access them better than the pressure of having to open a browser especially if it's not the one I currently plan to use at the time and yes, I think the annotated tab is buggy but I wasn't sure since I didn't really understand what it was there for but when I tried it all I got was many bookmarks with 0 annotations.If you still have your account, maybe we can clarify this issue up by posting to the groups. I really hate it when I make a topic there now and no one replies at all.

This is easier to deal with. I've separate system and data partitions, and Firefox profile is on the data partition, which is backed up regularly. I also set Scrapbook, Zotero and Wired-Marker data folders away from the Firefox profile folder, into places where they're backed up more often than the FF profile folder tree, and made available for my search tool (Archivarius). (Though Archivarius doesn't search Wired-Marker or other sqlite db yet.)

This is interesting. Can you give more info on how you do this? Partitioning is something that I'm unfamiliar of or at least I never tried it because I fear I might break something and do you just backup the entire profile page? I find it much harder to figure out how to backup Firefox because on Opera I just copy the individual notes/sessions/etc. and re-paste them back to my browser when I switch and I feel more comfortable with that because it gives me a sense of knowing what it is I'm importing back.

As for the Zotero, Scrapbook, Wired-Marker data folders, what do you name them? I find I still forget this often because I haven't developed a good backup habit. At best I backup my notetakers but when it comes to contents that has more than 1 file, I'm at a lost. I'm almost tempted to use portable browsers but again there's the fear that I might run dry of memory or I might forget to backup my data from the usb stick to another place and lose everything when it breaks.

Still, I'm on the hunt for a better solution, as you do. If you stick to diigo, please let me know if they get improvements.

Will do. I'm hoping they get to v4 soon. I still see my extension regularly getting updates but it seems they're focusing on something different (maybe stability since they got chewed on that bad when they released v3) and rarely release new features anymore but it's also worrying that they are losing their improvements too so yeah, I'll keep you updated. I'm actually thinking of going down the road of web capturing tools like EverNote and Surfulator but many of them are web clippers without the ease of highlighting so I'm really back to square one.

BTW, what good does it do if Foxmarks can sync Scrapbook and Wired-Marker databases? Can you use Foxmarks in browsers other than Firefox? If it's not cross-browser support but cross-computer support you're after, than there're other tools that let you sync the entire Firefox profile, I believe.

Yeah, I think I've heard of those, Weave is one of them I think. For me, it's both just a safety net and a habit checker. I really want to avoid getting to a point where I rely on something to a point where I put all my eggs in one basket without knowing what eggs I'm putting in. It's part of why I never quite got used to syncing programs and mass copy and pasting of non-relevant things together with similar genres, tags or something else. It just messes with my head. I'm not sure if it's because I'm a control freak, paranoid or just because I really don't want to put so much effort in something I don't have a framework on only to find it's not for me later on and have to mass migrate to another place and constantly juggling what should be just snippets of data that help me become much more informed. You see, I have to deal with this problem when I first got introduced to RSS. At first it was finally a massive body of data like the Great Library but then I now have to look for different RSS Readers, got to understand what starring an article means, having to deal with many comments going to social media site, needing to wonder how I can sync twitter comments with the actual article, needing to deal with how to read all the trackbacks when many of them repeat the same thing and nowadays I end up being busy organizing and re-organizing what folders my feeds should be that I don't even get to ever narrow my unread count to single digits because I also have to deal with all the other unread tab sessions I have and it's all so additionally inconvenient because then I'm screwed with medium projects like having to learn Linux and focusing on it only or learn backup habits and testing out TrueCrypt or writing a story because none of these data become unretrieval. Worse, if I don't have a black hole, I can be so occupied organizing them that I miss out on features like delicious because I thought my offline bookmarks where ok for me only to lose them all when something goes wrong with my operating system because I thought I was so close to finding the optimum organization for me that I thought I'd skip the back up phase until the end.

Now with some good extensions, my black hole is getting in order. Tagsifter is my favorite; it allows me to filter bookmarks with something like

"tag1 - (tag2 + !tag3)"

Not possible with diigo or any other social bookmarking sites.

Yeah I have heard of Tagsifter before but I didn't try it because of my lack of need for Firefox bookmarks at the time I found it. You made me curious though. Could you explain what that formula means further? I rarely had to go 3 layers down a tag when searching so I really don't understand how the formula is supposed to work but it really got me interested since it sounds very much like dynamic folders to me.

It's also easy to delete a tag from multiple bookmarks at once in Firefox -- another thing not possible with diigo.

Yeah, tell me about it. This was one of the main complaints about Diigo.

So, on balance I like Firefox's bookmarking system (with extensions) better, and judging from what happened this summer, the speed of improvement clearly favors Firefox community as well. Diigo does keep moving, but the pace is slow.

Thanks, please message me when there's new improvements coming along in the Firefox community. You'd probably have more information to share than I do with Diigo because yes, the pace is slow but to be honest, the competition hasn't caught up with them much either so we'll have to see where this is all headed.

Firefox community is something that I never really was able to penetrate to but I've primarily only attempted to connect to this unofficial forum (I think it was Mozillazine) when I encountered a problem with my FF3 and got my topic locked on the spot because I was using an Opera account e-mail and so I tried again, this time with more details including explaining how stupid it is for an Opera troll to use an Opera account if he wanted to cause trouble but I only got a different mod lock my topic while saying I was being vague but of course I couldn't clarify my problem anymore since the topic was locked so yeah that's one of the other reasons why I try to have at least black hole accounts and whole profile syncing because it really hurts when you're left to dry by the main service you're using.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 12:55 AM »
Yeah, I use a variation of this by only submitting bookmarks with highlighted pages to Diigo and then transferring my non-highlighted bookmarks to incollector.

Incollector does look interesting, and it works on both Windows and Linux, just what I'm looking for. Will give a shot when I'm done with the papers.

If you still have your account, maybe we can clarify this issue up by posting to the groups. I really hate it when I make a topic there now and no one replies at all.

Sorry, no, my accounts are all closed. I also asked several questions on the forum before giving up, and got no replies. Furthermore, I did a few searches on the forum just now, and couldn't find my questions anymore. I can only infer that they kill poeple's posts after their accounts are closed. Nice way to reduce the number of negative stuff on the board.

Partitioning is something that I'm unfamiliar of or at least I never tried it because I fear I might break something and do you just backup the entire profile page?

It's easy enough with the "Computer Management" tool -- one of the Administrative Tools that comes with Windows (2000 and up). Just shrink the current volume and create a new one. While the process is non-destructive, I still back up my data each time I do this. Would be even easier (and safer) if you could get yourself another hard drive.

And I don't know what's a "profile page"? I back up the system and the various data partitions differently. Many applications (including Firefox) store their settings and data under the "Users" folder tree ("Documents and Settings" for older Windows) on C. I move them to drive D (my data partition) if I want them backed up.

I find it much harder to figure out how to backup Firefox because on Opera I just copy the individual notes/sessions/etc.

Can't compare with Opera since I don't use it anymore, but I wonder how it can be any harder. All user-specific stuff is in the profile folder. Just ignore the "cache" and copy everything else. (I put the cache on a RAMDrive, since I've more RAM than a Win32 system can use. This way the cache is wiped automatically every time I reboot the system.)

It gets more complicated if you want to pick and choose what to back up (I do), but I guess it's the same with other applications.

As for the Zotero, Scrapbook, Wired-Marker data folders, what do you name them?

Name them? Zotero & Scrapbook allow you to designate where they store the data (check the options) so that's easy. Wired-Marker doesn't provide that, so I use symlink (similar to folder junction in XP) to move the data folder.

I find I still forget this often because I haven't developed a good backup habit.

This is the real problem then. I back up my data more often and keep more copies than my system. You can always reinstall the system (time-consuming aside), but can't reinstall the data. There's no single best solution that works for everyone, for it all depends on your needs and the resources you have, but you should have a backup solution if you value your data.

Need to get back to work now. Will continue later.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 04:21 AM »
Yeah I have heard of Tagsifter before but I didn't try it because of my lack of need for Firefox bookmarks at the time I found it. You made me curious though. Could you explain what that formula means further? I rarely had to go 3 layers down a tag when searching so I really don't understand how the formula is supposed to work but it really got me interested since it sounds very much like dynamic folders to me.

Its website explains the syntax well. Usually it's enough to just type a couple of tags in the Awesomebar to get what I want, and for the most often used combinations I set them up on the bookmark toolbar with smart bookmarks (dynamic folders) I mentioned earlier.

Tagsifter is for more complicated searches. I use the "not" operator (the minus sign in the example) the most. E.g., it's easy enough with diigo (and FF) to find something tagged with "news" and "2008", but it's hard to find news "before 2008". With Tagsifter, "news - 2008" does it.

The "or" operation is also useful, like "news, (2007 + 2006)" will get me news clips from the two years.

You can't save Tagsifter searches as dynamic folders yet, though it's on the wishlist. As mentioned previously, I use FF's Smart Bookmark for dynamic folders, but it's not as flexible as Tagsifter.

Firefox community is something that I never really was able to penetrate ...

Sorry to hear that, but I wasn't really talking about the forums. I mean the Firefox extension architecture is really reaping the rewards now with all these extensions filling the holes of the main product. "Tagging" was introduced with FF3, just released in June, and in the two plus months since we've got all these nice extensions to make up for its deficiencies and more, and they're still improving. (FF3 of course started beta much earlier, but the bookmark system wasn't finalized -- with several functions scrapped -- until late, and most of the tagging-related extensions didn't -- and probably couldn't -- start showing up on AMO earlier than that.)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 07:17 AM »
It's easy enough with the "Computer Management" tool -- one of the Administrative Tools that comes with Windows (2000 and up). Just shrink the current volume and create a new one. While the process is non-destructive, I still back up my data each time I do this. Would be even easier (and safer) if you could get yourself another hard drive.

And I don't know what's a "profile page"? I back up the system and the various data partitions differently. Many applications (including Firefox) store their settings and data under the "Users" folder tree ("Documents and Settings" for older Windows) on C. I move them to drive D (my data partition) if I want them backed up.

Oh sorry, I meant the profile folder.

Can't compare with Opera since I don't use it anymore, but I wonder how it can be any harder. All user-specific stuff is in the profile folder. Just ignore the "cache" and copy everything else. (I put the cache on a RAMDrive, since I've more RAM than a Win32 system can use. This way the cache is wiped automatically every time I reboot the system.)

It gets more complicated if you want to pick and choose what to back up (I do), but I guess it's the same with other applications.

This is exactly my problem. See, in Firefox there's all this .js .bak .ini stuff which is manageable if there weren't all these other extension folders lying in there that makes me wonder if they're just safe enough to export.

Where in Opera, you have all these folders pointing where the mouse settings are and where the keyboard settings are, etc. etc. and there's only two formats to pay attention to .ini and .adr and they never change because Opera rarely has extensions. Of course, I did have problem with importing widgets but at least with Opera, I could ask in their forums while with Firefox I'm really dead in the water. It's really how I got to know these things in the first place, the forums were a great help in introducing me to all these things step by step.

Name them? Zotero & Scrapbook allow you to designate where they store the data (check the options) so that's easy. Wired-Marker doesn't provide that, so I use symlink (similar to folder junction in XP) to move the data folder.

Oh, I thought you have a special folder named to remind them of it's value. Windows Xp is just too messy compared to a Linux system and I really need special properties to remind me of which folder is which.

For example, I've absolutely never touched and knew what the My Documents folder was until I tried Linux and realize what that was for and I almost in general have to rely on my folders being seen in the desktop (Program Files exempting) to really discover them. It's nothing a good file manager can't fix but I didn't start with one and I don't understand many file managers. It wasn't really until I tried PCMan File Manager for Linux that I understood what favorites are for.

This is the real problem then. I back up my data more often and keep more copies than my system. You can always reinstall the system (time-consuming aside), but can't reinstall the data. There's no single best solution that works for everyone, for it all depends on your needs and the resources you have, but you should have a backup solution if you value your data.

Yeah, problem of my life since most of the tips revolve around syncing and I can never just figure those things out. Case in point, I was just testing this new Western Digital Passport HD and it came with a syncing program and I just end up deleting it because it has all these basic stuff that I really don't get. Example trying to sync outlook mails which I never ever used because I use webmail and then I didn't want it to sync Firefox and I could care less about IE and then the third check point was something else but it just confused me to give it up. I know there's better programs out there but it's the same thing. I really don't or can't get my head around being tied to a certain folder just because that's where I sync them.

Its website explains the syntax well. Usually it's enough to just type a couple of tags in the Awesomebar to get what I want, and for the most often used combinations I set them up on the bookmark toolbar with smart bookmarks (dynamic folders) I mentioned earlier.

Tagsifter is for more complicated searches. I use the "not" operator (the minus sign in the example) the most. E.g., it's easy enough with diigo (and FF) to find something tagged with "news" and "2008", but it's hard to find news "before 2008". With Tagsifter, "news - 2008" does it.

The "or" operation is also useful, like "news, (2007 + 2006)" will get me news clips from the two years.

You can't save Tagsifter searches as dynamic folders yet, though it's on the wishlist. As mentioned previously, I use FF's Smart Bookmark for dynamic folders, but it's not as flexible as Tagsifter.

Oh, I see. Thanks but that's just not for me. I could never really be comfortable with doing this as I've grown the habit of turning my notes into journal entries whenever I need to browse back. It's more time consuming but I just don't feel like I'm revaluing my entries when I don't follow that method.

Sorry to hear that, but I wasn't really talking about the forums. I mean the Firefox extension architecture is really reaping the rewards now with all these extensions filling the holes of the main product. "Tagging" was introduced with FF3, just released in June, and in the two plus months since we've got all these nice extensions to make up for its deficiencies and more, and they're still improving. (FF3 of course started beta much earlier, but the bookmark system wasn't finalized -- with several functions scrapped -- until late, and most of the tagging-related extensions didn't -- and probably couldn't -- start showing up on AMO earlier than that.)

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding. Yeah, I could see how Firefox is moving faster if you're used to tags and Firefox allowed it.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 06:48 PM »
diigo has been mentioned before in this thread and now makeuseofus compares diigo to delicious, maybe it has one of the features we want.

however, I cannot check it properly atm, yet I didn't want this to go unnoticed.

Perhaps this assignment from the programming school will lead to a proper group bookmarking tool for us :-) (and zillarank rocks!)

waderen

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2008, 01:46 AM »
Looks like there is quite a discussion on Diigo here .  I am the founder of Diigo, so feel free to throw any requests and complaints at me  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2008, 01:49 AM »
Glad to meet you Wade :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 04:04 PM »
As many have heard, Magnolia suffered major data loss recently and all of the work i've been doing bookmarking and tagging reviews of donationcoder stuff seem to have been lost. 

I generally avoid online services and use local applications for almost everything I do.. This is one of those few times when i didn't.  Bad mistake.

I'm not saying don't use online services for your data.. I'm saying don't trust them to preserve and safeguard your data.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21 PM »
As per twitter updates Magnolia is down and i think we need app that can be used on desktop and can sync with online app when needed (Perhaps any app with google gears enabled)  ;). Idea for GTD. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Makes one long for the days when there were all those excellent desktop bookmark manager apps doesn't it?

Might make a neat piece of software to have up on Donation Coder. (Hint hint )

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57 PM »
mouser, you nailed it on the head why services like Diigo were hot prior to limiting their syncing to delicious, magnolia and simpy back when they had like 6-7 services to sync to.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2009, 07:27 PM »
First thing i'm going to do is start using a local archiving tool for web pages, like Local Website Archive or Surfulater.  That will let me preserve copies of website articles even if the sites go offline.