ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

<< < (6/9) > >>

mwang:
Paul, thanks for the clarification. I didn't frequent their support forum, so your information should be more accurate than mine.

As to Wired Marker and Firefox 3's bookmarking system, I'll get back to you later. It's 7:30 in the morning here, and I've gone through a sleepless night working on a big paper. Now I desperately need some sleep. I'll be back in a few hours.

Paul Keith:
Thanks no rush mwang and appreciate the help.

mwang:
I'm curious as to how you use Wired Marker -Paul Keith (September 04, 2008, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

This one is easy. Wired-Marker enables you to highlight parts on web pages, similar to the highlight tool on diigo toolbar. Like diigo, the highlights you make are saved, so it's displayed automatically when you revisit a page. Better yet, when you retrieve a saved clip from Wired-Marker, it not only loads the page, but also jumps to the highlighted part for you. Diigo doesn't do that.

The data is saved locally, so it's not sync'ed across different computers, but I like the fact that it's not dependent on diigo being up and healthy. Wired-Marker saves its data in a folder structure, similar to Scrapbook, except Scrapbook shows you just the clip without context.

Perhaps easier to show you the difference in action, using one of your posts in this thread as an example, with the 1st paragraph selected, and clipped to Scrapbook and Wired-Marker respectively:
Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

Here are how they look like when retrieved from Scrapbook (left) and Wired-Marker (right) respectively:
Request for suggestions: Group Bookmarking ToolRequest for suggestions: Group Bookmarking Tool

Wired-Marker, ATM, still has some rough edges. It doesn't have a toolbar button, nor easy shortcuts. You have to make highlights through context menu. (I setup my own shortcut with the help of Powerpro, so it's not too big a deal here.) It also doesn't allow you to turn off highlights temporarily as diigo does. Hopefully it can be more user-friendly in the future.

In a perfect world, I would like Wired-Marker and Scrapbook integrated with FF's bookmark system, so the "page" is bookmarked (with the page's title as title) and highlighted parts on a submenu, under one unified folder structure and one search/filter system. But that probably won't happen anytime soon, if at all.

... I made a thread here asking for an offline version of Diigo and to be honest I don't really know much about Firefox 3's bookmarking system except it has tags which I don't really understand why it's a plus.-Paul Keith (September 04, 2008, 06:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm afraid you lost me here. If you don't like tagging, why did you use diigo in the first place? I guess I misunderstand you, but I can't figure it out. English is my third language after all.

Paul Keith:
Hi, mwang. I was afraid of that but thanks for the detailed help.

The context menu doesn't bother me but here are several things that do which unfortunately from the way it sounds, Wired Marker doesn't provide:

-The cliff's notes view that Diigo has which saves time going to a site because you can have several sites and click expand on them. It would be nice if you can turn that Scrapbook view into a Wired Marker view at will without having to input a webpage on both of them but that still doesn't replace the ability to be able to view several bookmark contents in one page like a dashboard thus saving mouse clicks and tabs.

-The problem with having to deal with two different exports on two different locations. Yes, that can be fixed and learned but I once lost my Scrapbooks because I didn't quite understand how to back them up and because it was clunkier having to remember what applications I needed backing up since I'm not comfortable with using a syncing program and because I normally don't think contents from Firefox extensions when I'm thinking back-up so it's just too easy and too risky for me to use both as the main location for all my highlights. Also since Wired Marker is Firefox only, it really leaves me chained to that browser and sometimes when Firefox is slow for me I switch to another browser and just use the Diigolet. I wonder if the Foxmarks people would be willing to add Scrapbook and Wired Marker syncing to their features if someone suggested it... a black hole is still better than no hole.

Don't worry about your English, it's not my first language too. I used Diigo because it allowed me to import my blackhole delicious account which I'm trying to organize into Diigo and Diigo's lists and cliff's note view feature allowed me to better alleviate the tag hell than anything delicious does.

For clarification purposes, a black hole is basically an account with bookmarks with so many different tags and so many bookmarks that you end up not being able to check back on any of them unless you want a specific one so it just gets to a point where you add to it but you never get anything not recent out of it because you don't have a quantifying theme like a folder to contextualize what you want unless you specifically want something out of it. I just realize I wasn't sure if the term "black hole" is common enough but I've been using it for quite some time like it is.

app103:
I would really love help finding more reviews of dc software and events, so please join and help me bookmark sites.
-mouser (August 24, 2008, 08:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had originally intended on doing that and signed up and joined the DC magnolia group and started adding the links I had already collected prior to this.

Then I started experiencing a strange problem that prevents me from continuing to use magnolia:

The magnolia site itself is very slow in my browser (which I understand) and after using it, ALL sites load & run slower unless I restart my browser, and if I don't and revisit the magnolia site again, it gets even slower (I don't understand this).

This is the first non-flash site I have come across that has this effect on my browser.

Being on 33.6k dialup with a slow pc, combined with this problem, it would take me all day to add a handful of links, restarting my browser after each one. It's more trouble, bother, and frustration than I am willing to go through.  :(

mouser, I am glad you are exploring other options.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version