ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Which Software to Password Protect a Partition on a Hard Drive?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Armando:
Truecrypt's size limitations for containers/volumes (waaaay beyond your needs...) :
Q: What is the maximum possible size of a TrueCrypt volume?

A: The maximum possible size of a TrueCrypt volume is 8589934592 GB. However, due to security reasons, the maximum allowed volume size is 1 PB (1,048,576 GB), as the amount of data that is considered secure to be encrypted using a single key depends, among other factors, on the block size of the encryption algorithm. In addition, you need to take into account other limiting factors. For instance, file system constraints, limitations of the hardware connection standard and of the operating system, etc.
--- End quote ---

I'd be more worried about backup. It's the only reason why I'm not jumping on to the encryption bandwagon. I like backup jobs to be simple (otherwise I tend to procrastinate), and restoring to be bullet proof and simple too. Right now, it seems like a SUPER SLOW and not that simple or convenient process.

BTW : don't want to highjack this thread but... anybody with creative solutions for easy backuping of encrypted volumes and/or OS ? f0dder ? housetier ? :)

f0dder:
Run a backup script/program automatically when you're logged-in and the encrypted partitions/volumes are mounted. Don't do image-based backups but rather do file-based, and backup to a "secure location". Dunno how much bother that really is? :)

Armando:
I guess it's not that bad, even if one's backing up to remote encrypted locations/volumes... With a little script.

What really bugs me is the absence of real imaging solution (ie : not sector by sector). One could use a container instead of encrypting a whole partition; I wonder how imaging software work with file-containers instead of encrypted partitions.

jdd:
Getting back to my original question........Is there any way to password protect a partition on my hard drive?  I do not want to back it up or encrypt it or compress it.   :huh:

I JUST DON"T WANT ANYBODY TO HAVE ACCESS TO THE FILES ON MY LAPTOP (except me)!

jgpaiva:
jdd: the simple way? Create more users (for the rest of the people that use your computer), then password-protect your user, then put all your files in a folder that is restricted to only your user. I think that all folders inside c:\doc and settings\USER\* are restricted to that user. I'm not sure, though.

Still, I stand by the previous advices, nothing can beat encryption. This method I mentioned can easily be bypassed with a linux live cd (which ignores the owners of the folders).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version