ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

opera downward spiral into oblivion: most sites don't work, they don't care

(1/4) > >>

urlwolf:
I'll give you a mountain bike for every bank site you can find that works with Opera. I'm talking released versions, not betas. This cannot be.

And of course every single ajaxy startup website will fail too. Some in obvious ways, some in subtle ways; you don't even know it's broken, then one day you open it in FF and marvel at the functionality you were missing...

And then there's google. Most of their offerings don't work with Opera either.

The web is an adverse environment for Opera users. This is getting worse, not better, because people create broken sites in Opera faster than we can report them and Opera devs can fix their releases. Not to mention that Opera decision-makers take pride in ignoring user feedback like no other company.

I'm considering collecting 'signatures' to ask Opera to change their behavior. It may imply renewal of the director's board, so it may never work no matter how many people sign it. Why? Because they still make the best browser, and I want it not to suck.

It'd be a first in history that users care so much for a product that they ask the company to find responsibles for current suckage and fire them :). Note: this is clearly sci-fi. But would you sign that petition?

[end rant]

TucknDar:
Why don't you just switch browser? You've certainly written a lot of negative Opera posts, so I don't understand why you don't just ditch it... If a piece of software made me write so many negative posts I would just move on.

Grorgy:
And a web browser that doesn't let you browse the web seems to me to be not very good software.  It may have all the potential in the world but if it doesn't do even the basic thing a web browser should do then its not really much good.

TucknDar:
Personally I'm very happy with Opera. "most sites don't work"? Yes, I stumble across the odd site that don't work, that is true, and Opera isn't perfect, but every time I use another browser I remember why Opera stays as no1 for me. Not that I want to start a browser war, btw ;)

urlwolf:
Why don't you just switch browser? You've certainly written a lot of negative Opera posts, so I don't understand why you don't just ditch it... If a piece of software made me write so many negative posts I would just move on.
-TucknDar (August 23, 2008, 04:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Because, like you, evertime I tried I ended up going back to Opera. Plus I use M2 to handle my mail. I'd be a pity (and waste of resources) to have any other browser and opera open all the time.

You can see my frustration: it really is good software, but at the same time some small things are broken. And no matter how you report them, it will never be fixed. Being with Opera since v 5, it would be really a dissapointment for me to finally ditch it. It's also my most used piece of software. I know that DC is probably the best site on the net to talk about software, so I always hope someone with my same problem has found a solution. I hate to post negative comments, too. The only constructive thing I can think of -and that is very far-fetched as a solution- is to actually collect signatures for a radical change in Opera: a team that maximizes compatibility. This is probably an entire new company or at least CEO :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version