topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Latest Screenshot Captor Version's Tiny Initial Window?  (Read 9343 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest Screenshot Captor Version's Tiny Initial Window?
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:21 AM »
I'm not certain what could be causing this but when Screenshot Captor opens (which is with Windows upon bootup on my computer), its window is very tiny - about 1-1/2" square. I have to drag it open to its usual size.

This started right after I updated to 2.42.01. To rectify it, I dragged the window open to the usual size, exited SSC, and then restarted it. That put it at the right size for the rest of the session but rebooting causes it to open in a tiny window again.

What could cause this? Is there anything I can change in the program to fix it?

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Latest Screenshot Captor Version's Tiny Initial Window?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:30 AM »
does it seem like you are experiencing this bug: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10455.0

the insane thing is that the new version *solved* this bug for the people who were experiencing it before.. and now it seems like the new version may actually be CAUSING it for someone who didn't get it before.. ugh!!!@!#!

can you tell me what your General Settings tab checkboxes are set to?
(ie: Start Minimized? Close to Tray? Inactive Memory Use?)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:46 PM »
@J-Mac: since your bug appeared after the new version fixed the old one, try to rename your INI file and let SC create a new one and see if there is any difference.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 05:15 PM »
does it seem like you are experiencing this bug: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=10455.0

No, I was seeing that one only on my notebook which is running Vista Ultimate. Never saw it on the Desktop running XP though.

What is happening now is that the default window for SC on the XP machine is only about 200 x 200 pixels; not enough to see much at all! It used to be roughly 800 x 600 pixels, maybe a bit smaller.  Now I always have to drag the corner of the window to get it big enough  to see anything. Once that's done it is fine - until I reboot.  Then it's back to the little window.

can you tell me what your General Settings tab checkboxes are set to?
(ie: Start Minimized? Close to Tray? Inactive Memory Use?)

I'm on my notebook now so I'll have to post back with that.  However to be honest I don't know that the settings will matter:  I use Chameleon Startup Manager and that overrides such settings.  And it actually does a poor job of it, at that. Almost every program that used to start minimized or hidden on its own starts maximized once you install Chameleon. I wrote the developer and he claims he's not seeing that on HIS computer - as if I care about his computer!!  I have seen this same behavior with Chameleon Startup Manager on three separate computers now: Two XP Pro and one Vista Ultimate. Shortly after startup or a reboot, I spend another minute closing all the open application windows!

BTW, that's the least of Chameleon's annoyances; I'm looking hard for a better startup manager solution. Know any?

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 05:17 PM »
@J-Mac: since your bug appeared after the new version fixed the old one, try to rename your INI file and let SC create a new one and see if there is any difference.

That sounds like a plan, lanux.  I'll give that a try as soon as I am back at my desktop computer.

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:24 PM »
What is happening now is that the default window for SC on the XP machine is only about 200 x 200 pixels; not enough to see much at all! It used to be roughly 800 x 600 pixels, maybe a bit smaller.  Now I always have to drag the corner of the window to get it big enough  to see anything. Once that's done it is fine - until I reboot.  Then it's back to the little window.

ok well thats a different behavior than the other problem, and should be easier to fix.  the old problem was more insidious -- it wasnt just a small window it was basically an un-rendered window which could not be used even if enlarged.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:23 PM »
I was using chameleon startup manager for a while, I use winpatrol now, not quite as configurable, but it works!, and it suits me fine, it also provides some added security to your system if you want it to, which I like (and by default, but you can configure that to what you want) you might like to look at it.  http://www.winpatrol.com/

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:04 PM »
I was using chameleon startup manager for a while, I use winpatrol now, not quite as configurable, but it works!, and it suits me fine, it also provides some added security to your system if you want it to, which I like (and by default, but you can configure that to what you want) you might like to look at it.  http://www.winpatrol.com/

I know that Darwin mentioned WinPatrol last year. He mentioned that it has a delayed start feature, but I was on their web site earlier tonight and that is not mentioned anywhere.  Looks like he hasn't updated the info page in quite a while.

Chameleon has all the right features - actually a great feature set. But there are just too many little problems that drive me crazier than I already am!

Any applications for which I enter a startup delay start open, regardless of the mode selected: minimized, hidden. It just doesn't work.  It has a Check for Updates feature, but what it does is to open the browser and automatically download the latest version and then jump right into the installation immediately. That wouldn't be so bad except it does that even if you already have that version installed! IOW it does not tell you what the latest version is or whether it is the same as you have installed.  It just does all that anyway and then requires a system restart immediately.  If you checked Check for Updates five times in a row, it will download and install your current version five times.  Aarrgghh!  So you are forced instead to go to his site and check all the time first.  Which would be OK if he noted the latest version available, but he doesn't. I've checked and found the "Current Version" listed on the page as something that is 3 builds old. The new file may be what you download but the site doesn't identify it. And the filename and installer dialog doesn't identify the version either.  Just poorly done IMO.

OK - rant over!

Jim

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:19 PM »
OK, I renamed ScreenshotCaptor.ini to ScreenshotCaptorOLD.ini and restarted SC.  Here's the first difference I found using CompareIt!:

[attach=#1][/attach]

The window was more like the size I had been getting before, but I'll have to wait for a reboot to see if it holds.  I suspect it will though.  I believe that it uses that .ini file to set the window size each startup, and the .ini file most likely keeps the same size setting as the previous start.

Thanks again!

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Uh-oh...  I spoke too soon.  Tiny again after a reboot.  I'm lost here as to why.  Still beats SnagIt by about a million miles, though.   :)

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:13 PM »
does the problem occur if you exit and restart screenshot captor (while it is minimized i guess), or only on reboot?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:16 PM »
does the problem occur if you exit and restart screenshot captor (while it is minimized i guess), or only on reboot?

Only on reboot, it seems. If I resize it, then it stays that size until reboot. I tried minimizing and I also just tried right-click>Exit on the tray icon, then restarted it.  Window size was OK.  But reboot and it is tiny again. Baffling! Am I the only one reporting this? Amazingly no other major graphics issues on my machine lately.

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:18 PM »
never heard the report before and certainly it hasn't happened to me.. BUT if it's only happening on reboot that's a huge clue and maybe i can put something in easily to fix it in next version.  let me see what i can do about it.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37 AM »
can you try one more thing for me? disable the option that says "start with window".
then run sc and make size normal.
then reboot your pc as you normally do
except this time sc will not start up when your computer boots since you disabled this option.

then after your computer finishes booting start sc, and see if the window is small.

if so, then i will know the problem is at shutdown.. if not, then the problem would appear to be caused when it starts with windows.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Hi mouser.

OK, did what you asked and - Voila!  Success, or at least it would seem.  I started it manually and it opened to a normal sized screen.  Now, what I did for the time being is to NOT select Start with Windows within SC, but I did add it to Chameleon, which starts every other damn app with a fully open window - whether I want it to or not. So that might keep it in this window size!

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51 AM »
at least its a good clue to me if someone else has the problem.
let me know if the new startup method works to solve it for you.