topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Office suite for my mom?  (Read 32696 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Office suite for my mom?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 04:31 AM »
Try Kingsoft Office.. English version.. just released

I am not too sure about "just released" (Edited: Sorry, I said that wrong, yes, the English version was probably just released, but to me the program itself bares no sign of having been update for at least half a year), but otherwise I am surprised by the well-known design of Kingsoft Office 6 (2007) - in a good way, that is. This Chinese is sheer MS Office 2003 - also in a good, and updated, way - but with a smaller footprint.

Kingston.gifOffice suite for my mom?

Did this use to be shareware? Just ignore, and click Trial. As with any other Office pack you will a little later have to give it a/your name as Author before creating your first document, and that is all - that is the registration - they don't even ask for an email address.

But they do claim to update:
KingsoftUpdate.gif

Familiar look:
Kingsoft-Writer.gifOffice suite for my mom?

KingsoftWriterSettings.gifOffice suite for my mom?

I am *almost* certain it did not install any fonts, even though this is a Chinese program and I have no Chinese fonts.

They say the program leaves no traces when removed.

They also make the very fine Kingsoft Internet Security 9, which is VB100 certificated.

Also read the other thread, WPS: the best replacement of MS Office, free for none-biz - I didn't notice it before I posted here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 05:13 AM by Curt »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 05:13 AM »
http://www.ssuitesoft.com/

Here's one I found some time ago.
Could take a look at it and see if you like it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for the mini-mini-review, Curt  ;D :Thmbsup: I've long wanted to try Kingsoft but could never locate an installer for the English language version. No excuses now, except my computer is on a software diet  :o

I'll just bookmark the site, or not...  ;)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Well, Mike, if you re-read the title of this thread, you'll realize that it really isn't important if your PC is on a diet or not, because the Kingsoft application is meant for a mom!!  :P

I quite often email site addresses (to myself) in order to remember to study their content...

>> Did you email your mom today? <<

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Well, Mike, if you re-read the title of this thread, you'll realize that it really isn't important if your PC is on a diet or not, because the Kingsoft application is meant for a mom!!  :P

Yes, but my mum has been on a diet for years!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 04:34 PM »
... my mum has been on a diet for years!

Women... what can you say?!

---

SoftMaker is running a minor email campaign to make Ashampoo Office users upgrade to Softmaker Office - normally for €34.95, or for U.S. and Canadian customers: US$ 39.95 - but >> As a user of an older version of Ashampoo Office, you can now upgrade to the full SoftMaker Office 2008 for Windows package for the low price of just EUR 24.99 (worldwide) or US$ 27.99 (United States and Canada only) <<

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 06:39 PM »
... my mum has been on a diet for years!

Women... what can you say?!

"Yes, dear... I'm very sorry."

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10 PM »
 :D

:-[

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 05:05 PM »
I'd recommend any suite that uses ODF as a native file format, and this includes several online (RIA) apps, and perhaps soon, even Office 2007 with SP2. Locking her in to a proprietary format is the last place she should start computing.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2008, 07:56 PM »
The new IBM Lotus Symphony is looking good...all options are there and it is also based on Eclipse (besides OpenOffice).

Since I think that 'less is more'...well, than this piece of software fits the bill (at least the writer application as that is what I have tested so far). Since I have it I didn't open my Open Office software anymore...just because of the interface that uses a principle that can be compared with that from the MS-Office 2007 ribbon.

It shows always some of the general options and then specific options for what you are doing in the screen.

Davidtheo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14 PM »
Right now you can still get a free license key for Kingsoft Office 2007 (KSO07) or you can download the 100 day free version of Kingsoft Office 2009 (KSO09) from the web site http://www.kingsoftr...om/kso/download.aspx It includes spreadsheets, Presentation (very much like PowerPoint) and writer (very much like word) and it is a lot cheaper then MS Office. We are currently working on support for MS 2007 documents in KSO09 too
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:38 AM by Davidtheo »