ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Name The Best UNZIPPER!

<< < (7/10) > >>

Lutz_:
JZip - this is also OSS - actually 7Zip with a nicer GUI.

http://www.jzip.com/

kartal:
I was just going to agree with you but both 7zip and peazip give me headaches under xp64.

-7zip sometimes fails to uncompress and gives weird messages
-Peazip does not even work under 64bit even though there is a 64bit build

I must say 7-Zip is the current best. It's FREE, fast, straightforward, and handle a lot of types. It's also available in a Portable version; I carry it on my thumbdrive just in case.

PeaZip is cute and easy, probably better for the complete archive novice.
-ed_cardinal (August 30, 2008, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

SKA:
kartal

which would you say is "best" 64-bit unzipper ? Winrar or some other ?

thanks
SKA

kartal:
SKA, based on my usage patterns winrar was the one that never shown any ill effects . It performs well.

7zip performs very good as well. But it gave me headaches here and there when decompressing. But I never had any issues with 7zip compressing files.

Curt:
Shortly after I started this thread, I made the switch from XP to Vista. And because of the 'new' way Windows is handling zip containers, I felt no need for anything else than 7-Zip, and Vista itself. But it may of course be true what kartal is telling, that an unpacking 7-Zip sometimes trips when it really shouldn't. So far I was thinking that it probably was because the zip containers included errors, but due to kartal's post I now realize that it may be because of 7-Zip itself! Hmm...!?

Does 7-Zip corrupt containers, when unpacking?  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version