ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Name The Best UNZIPPER!

<< < (6/10) > >>

ajp:
I have been using FilZip (www.filzip.com) for some years now. It has the classic WinZip layout, but includes a tree view of the archive's folders. It's quite fast, has a cmd-line interface, simple, elegant design... it does what it's supposed to and is free.

Curt:
- I am glad to hear that FilZip is working well for you, ajp. Long time ago I decided not to try it because the author himself said it had some bugs, and that development had stopped:

I did not have the spare time to work on Filzip as much as I wanted to for the last years. I have received a lot of emails containing requests for new features that some of you want to have, and most of the time I could not even answer the emails, not to mention implementing these requests. Filzip fell behind its competitors and bugs did not get fixed.
--- End quote ---

Edited:
I realized that by typing this post I was creating a kind of jubilee:

steeladept:
I am personally very fond of AlZip.  I see you currently use it - have you thought of asking Renegade about your request in a PM?  He sort of has an inside track to the developers after all.  On a side note, AlZip and many others allow you to open a program after unzipping.  Perhaps an AHK script that renames the readme after extraction and before extracting the next archive could work?  Just a thought.

Curt:
Seems like those AHK scripts can do all sots of thing I can hardly imagine!
Thanks for the tips, steeladept!  :up:

Paul Keith:
Is it even possible to have the best unzipper? I'm not familiar with these programs but sure on occasion I need 7-zip or WinRar but it's often the interface that ends up being my main unzipper.

Take the recommendation for PeaZip from ed_cardinal, he think it's cute and easy for a novice but for me it made me run away into the uninstall option faster than I've ever done with WinZip or WinRar.

Yet something like ICEOWS which doesn't support 7-zip went on to become my main unzipper because of it's default interface and something I would recommend to a newbie so I think the problem with looking for the best unzipper is that like file managers, no one really knows what a best unzipper should be. I even read once about this pay for unzipper that had the best compression but since it uses a format different from .rar, it can't be for everyday use and sharing. I couldn't remember the name of the app though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version