topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:23 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Name The Best UNZIPPER!  (Read 49919 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Name The Best UNZIPPER!
« on: August 21, 2008, 09:24 AM »
What is the best unzipper?

There are a great number of zippers and unzippers, and I am using both AL-Zip and 7-Zip, and have tried several other 'container' handling programs, over time; but never have I been fully satisfied! Quite often I decide to bulk download a lot of zip containers containing icons, and unzip them into as few folders as possible, in order to sort out those icons I don't want to keep. But icons as well as many other files are often followed by a readme.txt or readme.rtf - a readme that I of course would like to keep. But not once have I met an unzipper that would offer me to auto-rename these readmes! This is a very disappointing mis-feature, in my opinion! I mean, these zip authors are downloading things themselves, don't they ever end up in the same situation, having to choose between overwriting  or  not (bulk) extracting at all?
Of course you understand that I am not talking about replacing or renaming everything, but renaming readmes only.

So I came here to ask what UNZIPPER 'you' think is The Best?
  • and if it can offer such "auto-rename readme" feature, please?

Including this feature might make it The Best Unzipper, in my opninion!

ZIP.png

--
There so many unzippers that I have decided not to set up a poll. Not yet, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:34 AM by Curt »

blackaj

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Name The Best UNZIPPER!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:33 AM »
I like Al-Zip but I didn't know it existed in other languages than korean  8)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 10:31 AM »
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature (see pic). more about WinRAR on the Best Archive Tool review, though it's been some time since it was written. :)

SC_2008-08-21_001.png

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:57 AM »
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature

So does 7-zip  ;)

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:59 AM »
WinRAR has this auto-rename feature

So does 7-zip  ;)

Most archivers have that functionality, but that's not really what he's asking for... ;)

Of course you understand that I am not talking about replacing or renaming everything, but renaming readmes only.
-Curt
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 12:55 PM »
What I like about winrar

-It can delete the original files as well.
-it can can create seperate archieves based on subfolders(named as the folder)
-It lets you have profiles that can be shown in the right click menu
-Profiles can be executed immediately without opening the compression window.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Dirhael is right, and I am once again guilty of not expressing myself clearly. If I am unpacking a new version of a Nirsofer program, I will of course NOT want the unzipper to rename the exe file, but to replace the old version. But if I am extracting dozens of zip files containing both icons and readme files, I would not want it to replace the readmes, but to rename them. Of course various icons too can have similar names, but that is another problem. So in general it is the readme file only, that is important for me to rename. I am sorry I didn't point this out more clearly. I guess I should just learn to take the time to adjust the settings before extracting, but is so common to name the readme just that, readme, so I was expecting some author already had come with the feature to rename readmes only.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 04:16 PM »
About WinRar - well, I never took the time to learn how to use it, because it is shareware,
but I guess I now will have to; this profile feature sounds really useful!  :up:

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I love winrar.

It's awesome in how self contained the application is. extract/install the app to a given folder, configure it to how you like it, then export the settings a settings.reg file in the same folder as the app.

Now you have basically made the application a portable app. Winrar automatically will try to read the settings.reg file if detects that it has never been ran on a given machine.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 06:24 PM »
How is it to use WinRar together with Firefox + Download Statusbar [DSb]?? I mean, it is so easy just to double-click the file's icon in DSb, but do I have any chance of using different profiles in this situation - it sounds to me as if the profile feature is connected to the context menu ??
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:03 AM by Curt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 09:40 PM »
I've also become more and more fond of WinRar lately.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42 PM »
Dirhael is right, and I am once again guilty of not expressing myself clearly. If I am unpacking a new version of a Nirsofer program, I will of course NOT want the unzipper to rename the exe file, but to replace the old version. But if I am extracting dozens of zip files containing both icons and readme files, I would not want it to replace the readmes, but to rename them. Of course various icons too can have similar names, but that is another problem. So in general it is the readme file only, that is important for me to rename. I am sorry I didn't point this out more clearly. I guess I should just learn to take the time to adjust the settings before extracting, but is so common to name the readme just that, readme, so I was expecting some author already had come with the feature to rename readmes only.
So... you don't mind overwriting the .ico files from one pack with those from another, but want to keep the readmes? O_o

Imho you'd be better off extraction each icon pack to it's own subfolder (very easy to do with winrar, simply select a bunch of archives, right-click and "Extract each archive to separate folder".) Yes, you then do have the "problem" that you need to navigate to subfolders to check the icons, but perhaps what you really want is a decent icon/graphics manager instead?

I've used RAR all the way back from the DOS days, and I think it was the first app I purchased when I finally got a VISA card. I personally don't have need for any other archiving tool, and I find WinRAR has the least cluttered interface and the most useful command-line switches as well. And while it's proprietary and shareware, there is full sourcecode available for extracting archives, and unrar has been ported to a lot of operating systems. It's also pretty fast and compresses pretty well :)
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:44 PM by f0dder »

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 09:46 PM »
@Curt

I am pretty sure when you double click on the a given download.rar file/icon on dsb, it will automatically open the .rar/zip whatnot in winrar or any other unzipper/packer that is associated with the downloaded file (in this case, the file would launch winrar).

Profiles.. I am assuming you mean the current user (settings)?
Looking at the exported settings file, yes, it seems to only apply to the current user, but I am going to take an educated guess and say that winrar should automatically import those settings (though you will most likely have to run winrar first from the app folder). The settings file doesn't seem to be "branded" to any particular user or user name.  

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:22 AM »
While unable adequately to address the technical aspects of
compression my vote for the best unzipper goes to...
Spoiler
Gypsy Rose Lee
GiRL.jpg

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 06:21 PM »
- I would say this hidden gypsy is terrible small   and still waiting to be extracted. 79x135 is not my idea of being properly unzipped; you will need to add a zero to each number - then I can take off my glasses   and reveal Rose Lee as screensaver material.

I take the present littleness is due to compression in order to fit into a container? Hmm...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Just testing your vision, Curt. ::)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05 PM »
I'm surprised that IZarc isn't mentioned. It's the only one I use and I'd rather fight than switch.
Install, select all extensions, set it to extract to C:\All downloads and you have a new folder with the extracted files in All downloads. Use "Move To" in the menu bar in Win Explorer to put the whole kaboodle where you want it.
Go to lunch?
http://www.izarc.org/
 :D
------------

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 06:22 AM »
Just testing your vision, Curt.
-cranioscopical (August 23, 2008, 09:09 PM)

Re-reading my previous post I can now see that any resemblance of humour got 'lost in translation', so to speak. Sorry about that! I enjoyed the hidden gipsy, of course, and am thankful to Chris for drawing my attention to this particular burlesque creation; I had never heard of her before.

But what was he thinking, Mr. Cocker, to tell her to leave her hat on?!!

annoying gipsy hat
2166x3386 pixels:

GypsyHat.jpgName The Best UNZIPPER!

Anyway, it is too late:

GypsyRoseLee 1914-1970.JPGName The Best UNZIPPER!

---

Thanks to Cuffy for telling about IZArc. It was new to me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:27 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Another one that was new to me is Mass Extract from Joseph Cox (87 software projects!). First version launched March 4, 2008, so it could be new to all of you:

Product:          Mass Extract
Version:         0.91 Alpha
License:         Freeware
Last Worked On:       3rd May, 2008.
Development Status:      Active
Requires:         Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
[change log] [pad]

Description
Mass Extract is a drag and drop extractor that is typically used with many archives; files or directories can be dropped on the main window and ME will intelligently parse the files list to find multi-part and standard archives for extraction. All found file extensions appear in a list and each type can be selected or excluded from extraction; the archives can also all be extracted to the same directory or in their own respective archive locations.

ME comes with a pre-defined list of built-in extractors which can easily be expanded if desired. PAR and PAR2 are also supported.
massextract_main.pngName The Best UNZIPPER!

The setting options are still quite limited.
http://software.boot...o.uk/?id=massextract
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:05 AM by Curt »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 12:33 PM »
I am always looking for a compressor-decompressor that supports profiles and profiles in right click like in winrar.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2008, 01:06 PM »
I'm surprised that IZarc isn't mentioned. It's the only one I use and I'd rather fight than switch.

I'm also a big fan of IZarc. But I recently switched to TUGZip as my primary archiving tool after I started running into some weird lockups and other issues with IZarc. The most frequent problem was that the application started having problems closing when I was done with it. And once in a while it would hang when extracting a large archive. A reinstall didn't completely cure the problem, and I couldn't seem to spot what was causing it. Has anybody else run into this?

Anyway, I now use TUGZip for my day to day needs. But I still keep IZarc on my machine for occasional use.

RedPillow

• Joined in 2008
  • Pillows.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Hmm.. i would suggest program called "winrar" i use it all the time!  :)
if you ask me ill give 4,5 stars to it!
Try it and enjoy  :)

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I use Winrar Unplugged - portable - I just fire it up (using FARR of course!) when needed!  ;D

searchingforsurf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 11:14 AM »
I prefer 7-zip

ed_cardinal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 12:47 PM »
I must say 7-Zip is the current best. It's FREE, fast, straightforward, and handle a lot of types. It's also available in a Portable version; I carry it on my thumbdrive just in case.

PeaZip is cute and easy, probably better for the complete archive novice.