ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (14/20) > >>

tslim:
The GBM Pro is the world most extreme software. It has fast zip engine, it is unicode aware
-tslim (August 21, 2008, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Last time I tried, GBM Pro v.8 did backup and restore files with unicode filenames fine, but its search function couldn't find them in the zipped archives. Zip format doesn't have native unicode support, and GBM has to change the filenames before storing them. When searching, however, it didn't handle this conversion properly.

Not sure if it's still a valid observation, but be sure to check if this is important to you.
-mwang (August 29, 2008, 07:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
There are 2 things I want to clarify here:

1) GBM does not change filenames in foreign language (I mean language which is not the master language of Windows) when it stores them in its gbp file. The proof is simple, I open a gbp file containing Chinese Traditional file name with Total Commander and I can see the filename is stored exactly as it is (on HDD and also) in the gbp. If GBM Pro has a proprietary way to store a foreign language filename, then opening the zip with another utility should not show the filename in its original (foreign) language.
Please see the attachment. My WinXp is English version and I set my non-unicode language as Chinse Simplified -- NOT Chinese Traditional.

2) GBM Pro support unicode search correctly. At least that is the case with ver 8.0.259.429
Again, please see the attachment.

tranglos:
Completely unrelated, but what do you use to get this, tslim?

Thanks!

Darwin:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Thanks!
-tranglos (August 30, 2008, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like Actual Windows Manager... at a guess!

tslim:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Thanks!
-tranglos (August 30, 2008, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Actual Window Manager Ver 5.1 (http://actualtools.com)
A must for whom who likes to open window after window until getting lost in the sea of windows.

tranglos:
Actual Window Manager Ver 5.1 (http://actualtools.com)
A must for whom who likes to open window after window until getting lost in the sea of windows.
-tslim (August 30, 2008, 01:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be me. Thanks a lot!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version