topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: In search of ideal backup utility  (Read 72344 times)

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In search of ideal backup utility
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 02:47 AM »
We hope to have Backup4all 4.1 fully Unicode (we're depending on a 3rd party, so it might be sooner).
The sooner the better.

Regarding the registry backup, Backup4all has the ability to do that but we haven't made this public because we consider this a rather dangerous thing if it's not used by powerusers. ...
Are we talking about backing up the whole registry or just selective key(s)?
Let's take GBM's registry key(s) backup as example, the selected registry key(s) are simply part of a backup job, i.e. when I setup a backup job to backup data of an application I could also pick few registry keys (where the application's settings are stored). So whenever the backup job is run, everything defined therein will be backup, I don't see how could I miss/ forget to backup the registry keys that are defined in a job. (be it incremental or not).
Btw, GBM's registry keys (and/or its plugins) backup can be added as part of a job, they don't have to stand by themselves...

I mean, I couldn't understand your logic of error/problem in registry is more dangerous then in ordinary data. A mistake in backup (or restore) of ordinary data could also cause big problem, then why only the former is being hidden from the users? You mean you hide the feature just because you think user might make mistake? I don't see that a reasonable thought or logical factor in software design.
Say I am a Backup4All user, and I forget to turn on my Backup4all scheduled backup for half a year which then cause me to loss everything when I got a bad HDD, does that cause you to cut the schedule function from Backup4All?

Btw, I do not create a gigantic job to backup several applications or EVERYTHING. I create job on per application basic and then group them. e.g. I could group A, B, C and D in a group called "daily backup" simply because they change a lot of data everyday. And I could have another group named "Graphic utilities" where it contains A, X, Y and Z applications. Note that A is also present here in this group because it is a graphic utility. So whichever group I run the backup, the A's sources are backup to the same target as defined in job A.

I am sorry I can no more remember the group feature in Backup4All in detail. I know it has tree-like presentation of jobs, but are the grouping a real grouping where groups can share a single job?

Softland

• Software Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Backup4all
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 03:50 AM »
Are we talking about backing up the whole registry or just selective key(s)?
-tslim

I was talking about the whole registry. Backup4all can already back up selective key(s) as part of the plugin system. So if you define a backup plugin for application A, you can add registry keys for that application and they will be restored when you perform a restore (there's already a list of plugins created for several applications http://www.backup4all.com/kb/15/, and there's a tutorial on creating a plugin here http://www.backup4al...ckup-plugin-161.html).

Btw, I do not create a gigantic job to backup several applications or EVERYTHING. I create job on per application basic and then group them. e.g. I could group A, B, C and D in a group called "daily backup" simply because they change a lot of data everyday. And I could have another group named "Graphic utilities" where it contains A, X, Y and Z applications. Note that A is also present here in this group because it is a graphic utility. So whichever group I run the backup, the A's sources are backup to the same target as defined in job A.

I am sorry I can no more remember the group feature in Backup4All in detail. I know it has tree-like presentation of jobs, but are the grouping a real grouping where groups can share a single job?
-tslim
You can have the same backup job in several backup groups, as long as you have a different name for the backup job (but it can have the same sources and destination). So your scenario works with Backup4all, and as mentioned above if you create a backup plugin for an application you can select its registry keys to be backed up too.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 06:13 AM »
tslim,

You may call it a wizard interface.
But there has to be a way to choose what you want backed up.

What Dirhael screenshot was only some of the choices.

Are you trying to be able to find a backup program and have the backup program automatically select the files and registry keys and dependencies for you?

McAfee used to have a program that you could move a selected program with all that, to another computer if you wanted to. You could choose the program and it would gather everything that program needed except the OS and pack it up. It wasn't called a backup program though. For good reason.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 07:29 PM »
You can have the same backup job in several backup groups, as long as you have a different name for the backup job (but it can have the same sources and destination). So your scenario works with Backup4all, and as mentioned above if you create a backup plugin for an application you can select its registry keys to be backed up too.
I can't quite understand what you have stated about the job sharing. Lets say I want a backup job A to be shared by N backup groups, do you mean: 
1) Those N groups can share the same piece of job A definition, but Backup4All requires different name in each group
or
2) I will need to repeat the same job A setup in each of the N group and each time with a different name
?
I hope you mean the 1) not 2).
If a job to be shared is complex, repeating the same definition in many groups is a waste of time and future change/remove of such job will become very difficult, because any change will have to be repeated in all the N groups and that is provided one can still remember exactly what are the groups that need to be changed.

Backup4all can already back up selective key(s) as part of the plugin system. So if you define a backup plugin for application A, you can add registry keys for that application and they will be restored when you perform a restore (there's already a list of plugins created for several applications http://www.backup4all.com/kb/15/, and there's a tutorial on creating a plugin here http://www.backup4al...ckup-plugin-161.html).
If Backup4All strictly requires one to create plugin first in order to backup selective registry key(s), then that is too bad. I don't even agree with any claim that it supports registry key(s) backup. I can easily quote you an example which also sounds like a trick or workaround than a real support of such feature:

For any backup utility that supports pre and post backup commands, I can define a job, whose Pre-backup-action - a script/batch file calls another registry program (e.g. Resplendent Registrar) to export selective registry key(s) to a file. I then include that file in the backup job. Does that mean that backup utility supports selective registry backup?
Definitely NO, because it does it indirectly and with condition - that is not an ordinary feature of a backup utility.

GBM does not require one to create plugin in order to backup registry key(s), though I have to say, its registry key picklist is difficult to use, try it and you will know what I mean. Anyway, that is understood, anything involve user-interface (such as picklist) in GBM is lousy!
(Edited: I just try it again, for the latest ver, the picklist window is now resizable and it seems find. What a long wait... a surprise to me)

As from the screen capture of cmpm, TitanBackup's registry key(s) backup feature also does not make plugin as a pre-requisite. You can click to enlarge the screen shot, it is very clear.
Nice capture cmpm!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:59 PM by tslim »

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 08:25 PM »
Hi cmpm,

You may call it a wizard interface.
But there has to be a way to choose what you want backed up.
The TitanBackup website states that the product is wizard-driven - first item in its "Main Features"

Are you trying to be able to find a backup program and have the backup program automatically select the files and registry keys and dependencies for you?
No, I am not.
I monitor all application installations (including hardware drivers's) with Total Uninstall, well, most of the time, with the intention to learn what the setup copies to my HDD and writes to the registry. My finding tells, there are so many that utilize registry to store settings and other info and that is why I eagerly want my backup utility to be able to backup registry keys.

Btw, I review the series of screen shots by Dirhael and I find TitanBackup supports grouping.
Ah, why didn't you tell me at the beginning...

Seriously, do you know whether is it unicode aware and able to backup ADS?
If so, then it is one big step closer to my 7 needs, I wonder if the company gives discount to user who switch from their competitors...:)

Anyway, I will download it and flip through its features, thank you.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Just the fact that Softland will speak of his program as openly as he is, ups my opinion of his software and it's potential, which he has said he is still working on. Employing more minds on the project as well, by the comment about third party contributors. Which is how a lot, or should I say most of the programs and help happens here at DC.

Having a backup that can be counted on is worth a lot. And it seems to me that this is Softland's goal.

So I would not be too quick to give up on this program with direct input from it's developer.

And not to count out Titan either. If they were aware of this conversation they might have some input as well.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 09:34 PM »
If you really want to take the time to study manuals...try Bacula. This is a linux based backup solution with Windows client software. No matter how strange you want to do any kind/type of backup...Bacula is able to store your info whenever, wherever on whatever.

But be ready to do some serious reading and prepare for a lot of trial and error. However, when it is running, it is truly a live saver. It is also able to do bare-metal-backups.

For backing up the registry, use ERUNT. The resulting files can be taken into a backup-set from Bacula. Both Bacula and ERUNT are free to use.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 03:09 AM »
So I would not be too quick to give up on this program with direct input from it's developer.

And not to count out Titan either. If they were aware of this conversation they might have some input as well.
I hope they really will.

BTW, I just read the blog of TitantBackup and about their future direction:
1) Backup to online storage - That is a good one. Anyway GBM already does that.
2) Imaging or cloning like Ghost - This one I think is NO GOOD. I don't see a great future for this, knowing nowadays the HDD size is growing faster than human population, TB HDD has enter the market... and knowing there are more and more mobo equiped with onboard RAID capability, one might as well use RAID to mirror.
3) User Forum - This is great! They should have put this in the highest priority. This one is definitely not for a product where the development team does not has enough guts to face challenges.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:19 AM by tslim »

CGA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2008, 03:24 AM »
I feel i have to put in a word for Backup4all here. Been a user of this software for a long time and i must say it is a very reliable product which hasn't failed me once. I have tried a lot of backup programs and this is the one that i found to be the most configurable and reliable among the affordable ones.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2008, 04:25 AM »
Btw, I review the series of screen shots by Dirhael and I find TitanBackup supports grouping.

If so, then it is one big step closer to my 7 needs, I wonder if the company gives discount to user who switch from their competitors...:)

Anyway, I will download it and flip through its features, thank you.

If you are interested in Titan,it might beworth keeping an eye on GAOTD; IIRC it's been on there twice in recent months  :)

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2008, 06:02 AM »
Another thumbs up for Backup4all from me as well. In particular I find the interface really easy to use. A strong vote from me for registry backup though. The lack of that is the only reason I keep looking elsewhere for backup.   

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2008, 07:36 AM »
Another thumbs up for Backup4all from me as well. In particular I find the interface really easy to use. A strong vote from me for registry backup though. The lack of that is the only reason I keep looking elsewhere for backup.   

Technically, it is unicode support that is difficult for Backup4All to achieve, because it almost always means a change to more decent development tool. Softland says they rely on third party for the unicode function, I suppose he means the zip engine, but then what about log file and reports, they also need to be unicode aware. In fact even the main interface, the tree-structure that holds the group of jobs need to be unicde aware as well.
As for registry key(s) function, I think it is much simlper, it only depends on how willing the developer is to implement it. If you are a legitimate user, just press a little harder on the author, I believe you can get it in no time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 07:37 AM by tslim »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I can't quite understand what you have stated about the job sharing. Lets say I want a backup job A to be shared by N backup groups, do you mean: 
1) Those N groups can share the same piece of job A definition, but Backup4All requires different name in each group
or
2) I will need to repeat the same job A setup in each of the N group and each time with a different name
?
I hope you mean the 1) not 2).
If a job to be shared is complex, repeating the same definition in many groups is a waste of time and future change/remove of such job will become very difficult, because any change will have to be repeated in all the N groups and that is provided one can still remember exactly what are the groups that need to be changed.

it sounds to me like #2 the way it was described
-
in an "ideal" backup programme It would be great to be able to simply Control+DragDrop to create a copy of a backup.
-
SFFS offers a "save as" option for backup "profiles".
btw, Slim, you mention Genie backup manager pro - the advantage of Backup4all and SFFS is that they backup to zip - AFAIK Genie doesnt (?) - not sure about Titan either but think it does zip compression (another btw, did you get to try SFFS or does the lack of registry/keys stop you ?)
Rambling a little now - looking forward to version 4 of backup4all - I've been using their plugins for a bunch of programmes but haven't yet had occasion to restore so cant really comment ...

also just briefly re interface:
"wizard" means step by step options interface - it doesnt necessarily mean less options or less advanced - it normally means this, but only in the context where there is also an advanced options interface on offer (i.e. dont get too bogged down on what it's called - give it a try - disclaimer, I havent tried Titan- but then I'm happy with what I have :P :))
Tom
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 04:46 PM by tomos »

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 08:03 PM »

Unfortunately, it does not support unicode at all. Well, you are able to select the folders/files but they won't be backed up if they contain Japanese/Chinese/Korean (what I used for my tests) characters. Doesn't matter if you just use the program to copy files from location A to B on the same filesystem, it still can't handle them, and if you use the zip functionality it creates broken archives.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:06 PM by Dirhael »

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2008, 12:53 AM »
-
in an "ideal" backup programme It would be great to be able to simply Control+DragDrop to create a copy of a backup.
-
SFFS offers a "save as" option for backup "profiles".
Genie backup manager pro too has a "Clone job" function in its job manager.

edited:
That is from one of its pulldown menu option. If one only use it wizard to do backup, he/she could never discover that. That is one of the reason I dislike wizard. It always says "heh idiot, here is what you can/should do next"...

Duplicating backup job, IMO, is very useful when one need to create a variant of a backup job definition, i.e. a job which is slightly different from an existing one. Cloning exact copy of backup jobs and use them under different grouping like that offer by Backup4All) does not sound right.

My ideal backup job management is one step further than that. A job group is supposed to be a container and a backup job is a token inside. Sharing means actual sharing not duplicating a job N time just to make it look like being shared by N groups.

btw, Slim, you mention Genie backup manager pro - the advantage of Backup4all and SFFS is that they backup to zip - AFAIK Genie doesnt (?) - not sure about Titan either but think it does zip compression
Not true!
GBM pro does create zip. Its gbp file is actually a zip file, just with the extension gbp. e.g. I can even open its gbp file with Total Commander and manipulate its content, just press CTRL+PageDown on a GBM's gbp file, and you will see the content, typically something like the below (all in a single zip or gbp file):

[MF]
[MFStreams]
[MP\Reg]
file1
file2
file N

Where the folder
[MF] contains sub folders, each for particular drive of the source being backup.
[MFStreams] stores ADS
[Reg] stores reg file (if a backup involve registry keys)
file1...fileN are configuration files
and of course the above folders might be absent when not needed.

In fact GBM pro has a good zip engine! and excuse me, please let me moan one more time (loudy):

This gargoyle has everything underneath powerful and superior, just that everything else on surface is too ugly and intolerable. I have no hesitation in voting its interface as the world worst user interface ever designed. Imagine every time you need to move back to the main page, even when you have not change anything in current step, that is when there is nothing pending to be saved, still it prompts you a confirmation dialog to go home... ugh!!!

(another btw, did you get to try SFFS or does the lack of registry/keys stop you ?)
Make it this way, I have listed my 7 requirements right at the very first post of this thread.
I am looking for a backup utility which can at least do more than GBM Pro does, if not all of the 7 as listed.

"wizard" means step by step options interface - it doesnt necessarily mean less options or less advanced - it normally means this, but only in the context where there is also an advanced options interface on offer (i.e. dont get too bogged down on what it's called - give it a try - disclaimer, I havent tried Titan- but then I'm happy with what I have :P :))
Trust me, I know what a wizard mean in the computer world and I don't only find it useless.

I think modern application run under an OOP type of O/S will run more smoothly if it let a user pick an item (in Backup utility, that means pick a group or job) then determine the action to apply. (backup, restore, clone, delete, edit, check log file, etc)

For me, select a job or group of jobs on a explorer like treeview (1 click), click on a toolbar button for what to do (another click), that is something can not be further simplified, don't you agree?
And I always believe something can not be further simplified means ultimate efficiency.

An example on user interface: http://english.xpert.../screenshots_bxp.php that I like a lot.
Note: Please look at the interface only, I am not sure about unicode support and zip engine power of this guy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:11 AM by tslim »

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2008, 01:02 AM »
Unfortunately, it does not support unicode at all. Well, you are able to select the folders/files but they won't be backed up if they contain Japanese/Chinese/Korean (what I used for my tests) characters. Doesn't matter if you just use the program to copy files from location A to B on the same filesystem, it still can't handle them, and if you use the zip functionality it creates broken archives.
Too BAD!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2008, 01:16 AM »
1. A modern and fast backup engine - supports multi-core cpu and 64 bits O/S.

2. Support Unicode / Unicode aware
   i.e. Able to backup/restore files or folders names in multiple languages, irregardless of how Windows language is set.

3. Efficient and easy backup job setup with filter.
   A backup job is typically a definition of what are the source items (folders and files) to be backup to certain target (a backup archive on certain storage).
   A filter in a backup job means a mechanism to define what are the source items (to backup) by file or folder name patterns.
   Backup job filter should:
   a) Support wildcards and/or regular expression - thus able to automatically include future folders or files which match certain name patterns.
   b) Support a way to easily define a "include all and exclude few" or the other way round "exclude all and include few" scheme.
   c) Or even a folder-treeview with checkbox on every tree-node. Just tick to select.
   The challenge here is not to simply provide the a), b) and c), but also integrate them and make sure they work together nicely. An intuitive user interface is very crucial such that user won't get confused when using more than one of the a), b) or c) at the same time.

4. Able to group backup jobs and act (backup/ restore) base on the group.
   For modern backup utility, the ability to backup/ restore base on a backup job is fundamental requirement, in practice, we need more powerful/ flexible feature - that is the feature which allows user to group multiple backup jobs and acts on (meaning to backup or restore) the group.

5. Efficient user interface.
   I understand that Wizards/ wizard-like interface are very helpful especially for newbies/ general PC users, but a more sophisticated and centralized interface, where one can do almost everything or access every feature is a must for serious/ power users.

6. Able to selectively backup registry key(s) rather than just backing up the whole Windows registry like an ordinary files.   
    i.e. besides folder and file, I think the registry should be treated as a collection of registry keys and individual registry key should be a candidate of a backup job.

7. Advanced Data Stream and folder junction aware.
   Able to backup ADS is so crucial for user with multimedia files that tagged with ADS.
   It should be user's choice whether folder junction should be treated just like other source item (say treat it like a shortcut LNK file) or as an ordinary folder (that contains folders or files).

What kind of 'stuff' are you backing up and what would you restore it to?

Maybe that would help. Or not.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 01:27 AM »

What kind of 'stuff' are you backing up and what would you restore it to?

Maybe that would help. Or not.
I don't quite understand your question.
I don't have any alien objects on my HDD nor do I utiltize a backup data in any way different than others. I mean I will restore data backup only in case I need to claim back older ver of data or when data get corrupted.
Is my list of the 7 items extraordinary/abnormal?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2008, 01:38 AM »
I have no idea what some of the 7 are even talking about.
That's why I asked what it is you are backing up.
There has to be a source, input and output to most any 'thing' you want to backup and restore, which the ability to restore is as important as the ability to backup.

So the question, I believe, can be important.

What kind of data are you speaking of?

In fact I've heard that some data can be missed with any 'normal' backup procedures. And I've seen the threads of such problems.

And the types of data have a bearing on it's reliability to be picked up in the backup parameters. As well as the state of the data.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2008, 03:06 AM »
I have no idea what some of the 7 are even talking about.
Why don't you ask for clarification?

That's why I asked what it is you are backing up.
Asking B when what you don't understanding is A could easily worsen the subject.

What kind of data are you speaking of?
Just a brief of data I have:
Family photo - especially those that I don't develop them physically (I have more than 4 thousand photos tag with ADS)
Family digital video/clips - more than a thousand of them.
Utility settings (ini file or registry keys)
Program's output documents: e.g. MS word's document, Games's score file.
Program's working data set: e.g. True Launchbar 's bar set files, Outlook express's emails
Program's working data's database: e.g. ACDSee's database, GBM pro's database
Graphic files - those that I have used or might use to create icons.
Audio files - which I use to create sound effect for my application. (Btw I am a programmer who develop commercial software like accounting system)
My programming source codes - which I keep rolling within 52 sets for 52 ver. (One set per week)
and so on, I am sorry, I am too tired to complete the listing.
The point is, overall, I am just a normal human being like you and the rest. My need of backup is also as normal as I am.

I have about 150 program installed in my working PC.
Let say 60% of them will require backup of their data in one of the listed type above.
My backup strategy is to create backup job per application (application orientated) and to group them:
a) by the frequency of their data changes or
b) by nature of their data type, so that I could manually trigger backup in case there is a need.

Does the above good enough to describe my backup stuff?

In fact I've heard that some data can be missed with any 'normal' backup procedures. And I've seen the threads of such problems.
That could probably be the item 7 of my requirements.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2008, 04:25 AM »
To me it seems simple no matter what the output is.

First you could put your backup program in your safe backup destination or more destinations if it's on the same computer, so it will stay operational when needed.

Relocate your output folders to My Documents.
If possible put the .ini files and reg files there also, in separate folders, and point the program to it.

Or use Titan or whatever you have to backup the .ini's and registry settings to folders marked for each program.

You could also group the folders in My Documents.
As per your list and make a folder each type and another to put it all in. So you won't be looking at hundreds of folders right off but groups of them within one.

Once each backup is made, which could be in the hundreds, then they are done. Name the backups respective to the programs and contents. I don't believe there is a limit to how many separate backups can be made.

But anyway, once they are done, it would be simple to run any selected backup or a smaller group, if it was backed up that way, or all of them, dated sets, incremental or full for each one. Have all these types of backups setup. Without having to set them up again. Cuz they are already setup to run automatically when choosing to backup or restore.

Then simply backup My Documents to another destination or more where they will be safe. If My Documents gets corrupted for some reason, you could restore the whole thing.

I'm not sure if some of these backup programs can make the backups self executing without the program that made the backup. Depends on the backup program.

Basically. use My Documents as your main backup folder.
So you don't have to search all over the place for these backups.
Which makes it simple in many ways.

Everything I need backed up is in My Documents, so even in the event of a system failure. I have that folder somewhere else that is separate from the main OS and program files and the rest.

I have what I need backed up to a slave drive, another computer on your network and an online backup. All with simply clicking backup all or incremental, since it's setup.You could also add an External Hard drive and just shut it off when not in use, pretty much assurance of it being there when needed.

Of course the tedious part would be to setup your plan.
But once it's set, it doesn't have to be reset.

With as many programs as you have, an external terabyte drive seems to be in order. Unless you have a separate internal drive big enough to handle what you are trying to accomplish.

So keeping needed stuff in one central location has been my plan, maybe it will work for you. Time consuming initially but it works for me.

So......Whatever the program-A, the backup B can still be independently configured or grouped. I would do both for the options.

I'm not sure if all that is clear, but it's the idea and implementation that actually works.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2008, 05:22 AM »
To me it seems simple no matter what the output is.

First you could put your backup program in your safe backup destination or more destinations if it's on the same computer, so it will stay operational when needed.

Relocate your output folders to My Documents.
If possible put the .ini files and reg files there also, in separate folders, and point the program to it.

Or use Titan or whatever you have to backup the .ini's and registry settings to folders marked for each program.

You could also group the folders in My Documents.
As per your list and make a folder each type and another to put it all in. So you won't be looking at hundreds of folders right off but groups of them within one.

Once each backup is made, which could be in the hundreds, then they are done. Name the backups respective to the programs and contents. I don't believe there is a limit to how many separate backups can be made.

But anyway, once they are done, it would be simple to run any selected backup or a smaller group, if it was backed up that way, or all of them, dated sets, incremental or full for each one. Have all these types of backups setup. Without having to set them up again. Cuz they are already setup to run automatically when choosing to backup or restore.

Then simply backup My Documents to another destination or more where they will be safe. If My Documents gets corrupted for some reason, you could restore the whole thing.

I'm not sure if some of these backup programs can make the backups self executing without the program that made the backup. Depends on the backup program.

Basically. use My Documents as your main backup folder.
So you don't have to search all over the place for these backups.
Which makes it simple in many ways.

Everything I need backed up is in My Documents, so even in the event of a system failure. I have that folder somewhere else that is separate from the main OS and program files and the rest.

I have what I need backed up to a slave drive, another computer on your network and an online backup. All with simply clicking backup all or incremental, since it's setup.You could also add an External Hard drive and just shut it off when not in use, pretty much assurance of it being there when needed.

Of course the tedious part would be to setup your plan.
But once it's set, it doesn't have to be reset.

With as many programs as you have, an external terabyte drive seems to be in order. Unless you have a separate internal drive big enough to handle what you are trying to accomplish.

So keeping needed stuff in one central location has been my plan, maybe it will work for you. Time consuming initially but it works for me.

So......Whatever the program-A, the backup B can still be independently configured or grouped. I would do both for the options.

I'm not sure if all that is clear, but it's the idea and implementation that actually works.

But I don't have problem planning my backup strategy, nor have I any problem to come up with workaround for what my backup utility can't help.

Put in another way round,

I am not here to find a solution to how should I backup my data nor do I have any interest in how should a workaround can help me backup my data.

I am looking for a good backup utility which provides as many as possible or even all the 7 requirements that I have listed.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2008, 06:12 AM »
One thing I would say from your list of things to backup is that some of them are really for Archiving rather than (or as well as) Backup.

I also distinguish stuff I will do file sync with from the stuff I backup.

I often use different progs for these and it helps me keep my head clear about what I'm doing. But then I do have TBs of stuff.

tslim

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2008, 09:08 AM »
One thing I would say from your list of things to backup is that some of them are really for Archiving rather than (or as well as) Backup.
Not "some", but only "one" of them that is the first item. When I say "A modern and fast backup engine" I do mean a decent Archiving engine. The other 6 items are not pure archive related. The requirements of efficient filtering mechanism, aware of unicode, capable of handling ADS and folder junctions, all these still apply even if we are talking about a simple copy action (without compression).

I also distinguish stuff I will do file sync with from the stuff I backup.
I don't distinguish "synchronizing" from typical "backup" by the stuff they act on.

Be it a copy of compress zip:
I think the main difference between the two is, the former checks both source and target to determine what to copy but the latter only checks on source and thus the former might copy in both direction but the latter only copy from source to target.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2008, 09:37 AM »
There is a choice in direction with GoodSync.
2-way, left to right, right to left

http://www.goodsync.com/index.html

I recently upgraded to the Pro version and I'm glad I did.
I click and all my syncing is done as well as scheduled syncing.

I'm limited on the amount of disk space so I do what I stated in my last post on this thread as far as where I store files from different programs. So all I do is sync my documents to a folder on a slave drive on this computer and another on my network.

I can also work with all networked computers to create jobs between them.