ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (10/20) > >>

cmpm:
To me it seems simple no matter what the output is.

First you could put your backup program in your safe backup destination or more destinations if it's on the same computer, so it will stay operational when needed.

Relocate your output folders to My Documents.
If possible put the .ini files and reg files there also, in separate folders, and point the program to it.

Or use Titan or whatever you have to backup the .ini's and registry settings to folders marked for each program.

You could also group the folders in My Documents.
As per your list and make a folder each type and another to put it all in. So you won't be looking at hundreds of folders right off but groups of them within one.

Once each backup is made, which could be in the hundreds, then they are done. Name the backups respective to the programs and contents. I don't believe there is a limit to how many separate backups can be made.

But anyway, once they are done, it would be simple to run any selected backup or a smaller group, if it was backed up that way, or all of them, dated sets, incremental or full for each one. Have all these types of backups setup. Without having to set them up again. Cuz they are already setup to run automatically when choosing to backup or restore.

Then simply backup My Documents to another destination or more where they will be safe. If My Documents gets corrupted for some reason, you could restore the whole thing.

I'm not sure if some of these backup programs can make the backups self executing without the program that made the backup. Depends on the backup program.

Basically. use My Documents as your main backup folder.
So you don't have to search all over the place for these backups.
Which makes it simple in many ways.

Everything I need backed up is in My Documents, so even in the event of a system failure. I have that folder somewhere else that is separate from the main OS and program files and the rest.

I have what I need backed up to a slave drive, another computer on your network and an online backup. All with simply clicking backup all or incremental, since it's setup.You could also add an External Hard drive and just shut it off when not in use, pretty much assurance of it being there when needed.

Of course the tedious part would be to setup your plan.
But once it's set, it doesn't have to be reset.

With as many programs as you have, an external terabyte drive seems to be in order. Unless you have a separate internal drive big enough to handle what you are trying to accomplish.

So keeping needed stuff in one central location has been my plan, maybe it will work for you. Time consuming initially but it works for me.

So......Whatever the program-A, the backup B can still be independently configured or grouped. I would do both for the options.

I'm not sure if all that is clear, but it's the idea and implementation that actually works.

tslim:
To me it seems simple no matter what the output is.

First you could put your backup program in your safe backup destination or more destinations if it's on the same computer, so it will stay operational when needed.

Relocate your output folders to My Documents.
If possible put the .ini files and reg files there also, in separate folders, and point the program to it.

Or use Titan or whatever you have to backup the .ini's and registry settings to folders marked for each program.

You could also group the folders in My Documents.
As per your list and make a folder each type and another to put it all in. So you won't be looking at hundreds of folders right off but groups of them within one.

Once each backup is made, which could be in the hundreds, then they are done. Name the backups respective to the programs and contents. I don't believe there is a limit to how many separate backups can be made.

But anyway, once they are done, it would be simple to run any selected backup or a smaller group, if it was backed up that way, or all of them, dated sets, incremental or full for each one. Have all these types of backups setup. Without having to set them up again. Cuz they are already setup to run automatically when choosing to backup or restore.

Then simply backup My Documents to another destination or more where they will be safe. If My Documents gets corrupted for some reason, you could restore the whole thing.

I'm not sure if some of these backup programs can make the backups self executing without the program that made the backup. Depends on the backup program.

Basically. use My Documents as your main backup folder.
So you don't have to search all over the place for these backups.
Which makes it simple in many ways.

Everything I need backed up is in My Documents, so even in the event of a system failure. I have that folder somewhere else that is separate from the main OS and program files and the rest.

I have what I need backed up to a slave drive, another computer on your network and an online backup. All with simply clicking backup all or incremental, since it's setup.You could also add an External Hard drive and just shut it off when not in use, pretty much assurance of it being there when needed.

Of course the tedious part would be to setup your plan.
But once it's set, it doesn't have to be reset.

With as many programs as you have, an external terabyte drive seems to be in order. Unless you have a separate internal drive big enough to handle what you are trying to accomplish.

So keeping needed stuff in one central location has been my plan, maybe it will work for you. Time consuming initially but it works for me.

So......Whatever the program-A, the backup B can still be independently configured or grouped. I would do both for the options.

I'm not sure if all that is clear, but it's the idea and implementation that actually works.

-cmpm (August 24, 2008, 04:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

But I don't have problem planning my backup strategy, nor have I any problem to come up with workaround for what my backup utility can't help.

Put in another way round,

I am not here to find a solution to how should I backup my data nor do I have any interest in how should a workaround can help me backup my data.

I am looking for a good backup utility which provides as many as possible or even all the 7 requirements that I have listed.

Dormouse:
One thing I would say from your list of things to backup is that some of them are really for Archiving rather than (or as well as) Backup.

I also distinguish stuff I will do file sync with from the stuff I backup.

I often use different progs for these and it helps me keep my head clear about what I'm doing. But then I do have TBs of stuff.

tslim:
One thing I would say from your list of things to backup is that some of them are really for Archiving rather than (or as well as) Backup.
-Dormouse (August 24, 2008, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not "some", but only "one" of them that is the first item. When I say "A modern and fast backup engine" I do mean a decent Archiving engine. The other 6 items are not pure archive related. The requirements of efficient filtering mechanism, aware of unicode, capable of handling ADS and folder junctions, all these still apply even if we are talking about a simple copy action (without compression).

I also distinguish stuff I will do file sync with from the stuff I backup.
-Dormouse (August 24, 2008, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't distinguish "synchronizing" from typical "backup" by the stuff they act on.

Be it a copy of compress zip:
I think the main difference between the two is, the former checks both source and target to determine what to copy but the latter only checks on source and thus the former might copy in both direction but the latter only copy from source to target.

cmpm:
There is a choice in direction with GoodSync.
2-way, left to right, right to left

http://www.goodsync.com/index.html

I recently upgraded to the Pro version and I'm glad I did.
I click and all my syncing is done as well as scheduled syncing.

I'm limited on the amount of disk space so I do what I stated in my last post on this thread as far as where I store files from different programs. So all I do is sync my documents to a folder on a slave drive on this computer and another on my network.

I can also work with all networked computers to create jobs between them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version