ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ideal backup utility

<< < (9/20) > >>

tslim:
Unfortunately, it does not support unicode at all. Well, you are able to select the folders/files but they won't be backed up if they contain Japanese/Chinese/Korean (what I used for my tests) characters. Doesn't matter if you just use the program to copy files from location A to B on the same filesystem, it still can't handle them, and if you use the zip functionality it creates broken archives.
-Dirhael (August 23, 2008, 08:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Too BAD!

cmpm:
1. A modern and fast backup engine - supports multi-core cpu and 64 bits O/S.

2. Support Unicode / Unicode aware
   i.e. Able to backup/restore files or folders names in multiple languages, irregardless of how Windows language is set.

3. Efficient and easy backup job setup with filter.
   A backup job is typically a definition of what are the source items (folders and files) to be backup to certain target (a backup archive on certain storage).
   A filter in a backup job means a mechanism to define what are the source items (to backup) by file or folder name patterns.
   Backup job filter should:
   a) Support wildcards and/or regular expression - thus able to automatically include future folders or files which match certain name patterns.
   b) Support a way to easily define a "include all and exclude few" or the other way round "exclude all and include few" scheme.
   c) Or even a folder-treeview with checkbox on every tree-node. Just tick to select.
   The challenge here is not to simply provide the a), b) and c), but also integrate them and make sure they work together nicely. An intuitive user interface is very crucial such that user won't get confused when using more than one of the a), b) or c) at the same time.

4. Able to group backup jobs and act (backup/ restore) base on the group.
   For modern backup utility, the ability to backup/ restore base on a backup job is fundamental requirement, in practice, we need more powerful/ flexible feature - that is the feature which allows user to group multiple backup jobs and acts on (meaning to backup or restore) the group.

5. Efficient user interface.
   I understand that Wizards/ wizard-like interface are very helpful especially for newbies/ general PC users, but a more sophisticated and centralized interface, where one can do almost everything or access every feature is a must for serious/ power users.

6. Able to selectively backup registry key(s) rather than just backing up the whole Windows registry like an ordinary files.   
    i.e. besides folder and file, I think the registry should be treated as a collection of registry keys and individual registry key should be a candidate of a backup job.

7. Advanced Data Stream and folder junction aware.
   Able to backup ADS is so crucial for user with multimedia files that tagged with ADS.
   It should be user's choice whether folder junction should be treated just like other source item (say treat it like a shortcut LNK file) or as an ordinary folder (that contains folders or files).
--- End quote ---

What kind of 'stuff' are you backing up and what would you restore it to?

Maybe that would help. Or not.

tslim:

What kind of 'stuff' are you backing up and what would you restore it to?

Maybe that would help. Or not.
-cmpm (August 24, 2008, 01:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
I don't quite understand your question.
I don't have any alien objects on my HDD nor do I utiltize a backup data in any way different than others. I mean I will restore data backup only in case I need to claim back older ver of data or when data get corrupted.
Is my list of the 7 items extraordinary/abnormal?

cmpm:
I have no idea what some of the 7 are even talking about.
That's why I asked what it is you are backing up.
There has to be a source, input and output to most any 'thing' you want to backup and restore, which the ability to restore is as important as the ability to backup.

So the question, I believe, can be important.

What kind of data are you speaking of?

In fact I've heard that some data can be missed with any 'normal' backup procedures. And I've seen the threads of such problems.

And the types of data have a bearing on it's reliability to be picked up in the backup parameters. As well as the state of the data.

tslim:
I have no idea what some of the 7 are even talking about.
-cmpm (August 24, 2008, 01:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why don't you ask for clarification?

That's why I asked what it is you are backing up.
--- End quote ---
Asking B when what you don't understanding is A could easily worsen the subject.

What kind of data are you speaking of?
--- End quote ---
Just a brief of data I have:
Family photo - especially those that I don't develop them physically (I have more than 4 thousand photos tag with ADS)
Family digital video/clips - more than a thousand of them.
Utility settings (ini file or registry keys)
Program's output documents: e.g. MS word's document, Games's score file.
Program's working data set: e.g. True Launchbar 's bar set files, Outlook express's emails
Program's working data's database: e.g. ACDSee's database, GBM pro's database
Graphic files - those that I have used or might use to create icons.
Audio files - which I use to create sound effect for my application. (Btw I am a programmer who develop commercial software like accounting system)
My programming source codes - which I keep rolling within 52 sets for 52 ver. (One set per week)
and so on, I am sorry, I am too tired to complete the listing.
The point is, overall, I am just a normal human being like you and the rest. My need of backup is also as normal as I am.

I have about 150 program installed in my working PC.
Let say 60% of them will require backup of their data in one of the listed type above.
My backup strategy is to create backup job per application (application orientated) and to group them:
a) by the frequency of their data changes or
b) by nature of their data type, so that I could manually trigger backup in case there is a need.

Does the above good enough to describe my backup stuff?

In fact I've heard that some data can be missed with any 'normal' backup procedures. And I've seen the threads of such problems.
--- End quote ---
That could probably be the item 7 of my requirements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version