topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What HTML5 can do -- cool site  (Read 17444 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What HTML5 can do -- cool site
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Check out The Wilderness Downtown, preferably using Chrome. Hit full screen, key in your address, and wait for it to load.

wilderness-downtown.jpg

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What HTML5 can do -- cool site
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:21 AM »
That was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:19 PM »
IMO they totally missed the point of Hypertext Markup language when they invented HTML5...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Pretty cool!

Tried to share this one with my computer illiterate husband, and I did it with a few addresses, trying to find one it would work with (some of the places he has lived are not covered very well on Google Street View).

Found one that would work, but the area had changed so much he didn't recognize anything and it kind of lost its intended effect. So I did it for where he used to work and he got a real kick out of it. When I did it for where he currently works, he said to me...

Spoiler
Don't you think that guy is tired by now? You have made him run at least 3 times.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Yawn.   :down:  Admittedly, I didn't use Chrome, but what I saw on Firefox gave me no incentive to try again after downloading Chrome.  Frankly, what it reminded me of most was a computer virus, with a zillion windows opening and a lot of noise and very little sense.  So they showed me the street where I grew up.  Yawn again.  In spite of my giving them the exact address, they didn't even get to the correct side of the street.   If this is what HTML5 can do, I think I'll stick to HTML4.   :down:    :down:    :down:    :down:    :down:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43 AM »
So they showed me the street where I grew up.  Yawn again.  In spite of my giving them the exact address, they didn't even get to the correct side of the street.

Blame Google Maps for that.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Blame Google Maps for that.
Yes, but other than showing me (or failing to show me) where I used to live, what's the point of the site?  Just to clog up my browser with a good virus imitation (i.e., a ton of opening windows)?   :down:

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 12:02 PM »
It's technology proof of concept, and a reasonably good one. I suspect your name is very apt.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Doesn't work for me at all.  Tried it in Firefox and in Chrome.  I enter my address, it loads, I click Play Film, and nothing happens.

HTML 5 is awesome!  :Thmbsup: ...  :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:19 PM by cthorpe »

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:12 PM »
My main interest in HTML 5 so far is limited to my hope that flash will not be eating up my RAM in the future

Gwen7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 05:35 PM »
won't even load in safari on my cubical-neighbor's iphone.

little wheel just keeps spinning round and round...

which is funny considering apple is supposedly so big on html5 and so down on flash. :-))

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Doesn't work for me at all.  Tried it in Firefox and in Chrome.  I enter my address, it loads, I click Play Film, and nothing happens. HTML 5 is awesome!  :Thmbsup: ...  :(

Didn't work on my birthplace address either, which is odd, given I can find it all day on Google Maps/street view. I keyed in my current address and bingo. If you haven't seen it, it's merely a clever presentation using video, maps, and a person running down the street to get to your address, and then it pans up and outward (all to music).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Doesn't work for me at all.  Tried it in Firefox and in Chrome.  I enter my address, it loads, I click Play Film, and nothing happens. HTML 5 is awesome!  :Thmbsup: ...  :(

Didn't work on my birthplace address either, which is odd, given I can find it all day on Google Maps/street view. I keyed in my current address and bingo. If you haven't seen it, it's merely a clever presentation using video, maps, and a person running down the street to get to your address, and then it pans up and outward (all to music).

Hmm... Well I didn't know what it was so I didn't want to give it the address I grew up at, but I used an address in the same neighborhood.

It actually just kind of depressed me thinking about how much has changed since then. :-\

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:07 AM »
little wheel just keeps spinning round and round...

I had the same problem with Firefox, which it allegedly supports.

It actually just kind of depressed me thinking about how much has changed since then.
Me too, so I'm kinda glad it didn't load. :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 02:00 AM »
One reason to love HTML5 if no other: Disney/ABC/ESPN hates it because:

(1) No room for ads. Without the ability to insert ads, Disney-ABC has little interest in moving towards HTML5. By pushing users towards an exclusive Disney or ABC mobile app, Disney can then insert their own ads at and re-direct users towards ABC-only content without fear of losing them to other content providers.

(2) Little to no copyright protection. This is a major gripe most media companies have when displaying their content and could be another reason why others may stay with a dedicated app for each network.

PPLandry

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • InfoQube Information manager
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 07:48 AM »
This is also a good example of what HTML5 can do:

http://www.kevs3d.co.uk/dev/asteroids/
Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present -- Albert Camus -- www.InfoQube.biz

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 08:50 AM »
One reason to love HTML5 if no other: Disney/ABC/ESPN hates it because:

(1) No room for ads. Without the ability to insert ads, Disney-ABC has little interest in moving towards HTML5. By pushing users towards an exclusive Disney or ABC mobile app, Disney can then insert their own ads at and re-direct users towards ABC-only content without fear of losing them to other content providers.

(2) Little to no copyright protection. This is a major gripe most media companies have when displaying their content and could be another reason why others may stay with a dedicated app for each network.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 08:52 AM »
I'll say one thing, html5 sites seem to be much zippier and faster than anything with flash or java.  I love that.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 06:22 PM »
Doesn't work in I9 beta. That's not good (for IE9)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Without trying to sound like too much of an MS apologist... I do believe for the time being HTML5 is not going to be the great unifier of the web, it'll be it's divider.

The problem is, that until HTML5 implementations near completion, the subsets of features supported will be too disconnected. This will mean web developers will be forced to target one or two browsers, effectively creating vendor lock-ins themselves.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Here's another interesting demo - Canvas Pinball 

From the site description:

This demo is a simple pinball game that uses several HTML5 technologies along with the Box2D physics engine. It uses HTML5 Canvas element for drawing, and @font-face and WOFF for font embedding.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15 AM »
Here's another interesting demo - Canvas Pinball 

From the site description:

This demo is a simple pinball game that uses several HTML5 technologies along with the Box2D physics engine. It uses HTML5 Canvas element for drawing, and @font-face and WOFF for font embedding.

Neat little proof of concept but it has some major bugs:

1. Pinball flippers are supposed to move fast so they propel the ball. These ones just mosey on up into position.
2. When you get a multiball bonus, none of the extra balls matter. If the original ball falls down the tube, you've lost "a life" and can even get a Game Over while several other balls are still in play.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 01:10 AM »
OK, i know this is an old post, but i just saw it in the newsletter and visited the site and felt i must say thanks for the find.

The video brought a lump to my throat, and seeing my old house again really brought back some good memories.

Thanks  :up:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 05:56 PM »
http://www.freedownl...ations-for-websites/

http://www.bluedojo.com/

"Our Goal Is For Cooties To Kill Flash"

Cooties is a tool that helps you build HTML5 animations. It's a web-based system, so it runs entirely within your browser. That means that you don't need to worry about downloading and installing the tool onto a specific platform. Draw shapes, insert text, add images, and you're off to the races. Be the first on your block to add a new HTML5 animation in your website. Cooties is a free web application. All you need to use it is a web browser, and a desire to be ahead of the curve.

Main Features:

# Cooties mimics Flash Using HTML5
# IDE runs completely in browser
# Draw and export animations
# Animations run on iPad/iPhone
# Add animations to any website
# Many, many more features

http://www.bluedojo.com/
-Blue Dojo

Be advised:
Blue Dojo Cooties is using Google-accounts, to log in.